Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Plane for IMAC / SCAT

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 05:02 PM
mupchu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plane for IMAC / SCAT

I am interested in the coming year of getting into flying IMAC / SCAT. I would really like to build a plane (as apposed to just grabing a ARF) so any recommendations for a beginer? I want something about 1/4 scale, and I don;t want to spend a small fortune for the motor. I was leaning towards a Goldberg Extra with a 1.20 motor in the front but looking for ideas.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:39 PM
quist
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Plane for IMAC / SCAT

I think you should go for an extra in the 80-84 inch wing. that is the size that you can benefit from the gas engine. Columbo Anderson makes a very nice 84" kit with 2 piece wings ($299 for the kit) it is all laser cut and the foam pieces are already sheeted. Midwest has a good 80" extra but it is a one piece wing and you have to purchase the wheel pants and cowl seperate. These are both very good flying planes and easy to build.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:13 AM
Silent-AV8R

I agree with Tony. Go to gas if at all possible. Anything that you can run a DA50 or similar on will be a great plane. Plus the gasser will pay you back sooner than you can imagine. Plus, once you do gas you will NEVER want to do glow again.

There are a number of great kits and ARFs in the 80 to 84 inch size.

BTW - where do you fly in SOCAL??
Old 03-25-2004, 03:35 AM
mupchu

I will be flying with the Corona RC club. I got out of the hobby for a while, mostly due to the fact I didn;t have a garage to store any planes in for a long time (or build or well anything for that matter). Finally bought a house, got a garage and i can persue planes again ;-) Still a little rusty but it is coming back ;-) I think gas is cheaper in the long run it's trying to convince my wife of the front end cost heheh.
Old 03-25-2004, 07:54 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I would recommend a Wild Hare 84" plane.
You will not be disappointed.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:23 PM
mupchu

Ok I know bigger does fly better, but more $$$$ does not go over well with the wife. I am still looking into gas engines, but $550 for a DA50 will pretty much kill me. I am looking for something around an affordable engine (200-250 range) like an OS 1.40 - 1.60fx , not sure on the prices of other gas (other than a DA-50 that is) but something in that range even if it's used. Heck even a converted wacker engine if it'll work, maybe a G-23 or 38. Just not sure which airframe. I don;t want much bigger than a 1/4 scale because I need to clear room to store it . . . well at least if i want it safly stored away from the my kids (would be too tempting for them to make it the transformers new secret base).
Old 03-25-2004, 11:08 PM
A320driver
My Feedback: (1)

You say $550 for a DA 50 will kill you, what about $60 a month on glow fuel? If you use an OS 160 FX and practice every weekend this what your fuel bill is going to look like. I know because this is what made me switch to gas. To go through $4 worth of gas with a DA 50 in a month you would have to fly almost every day. The reliability and low running cost of a gas engine will pay for itself in a matter of a few months.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:16 PM
mupchu

So you think my wife will buy the, "honey I saved $600.00 by buying a DA-50"? I havn;t ruled out gas, but something the size that needs a DA-50 probably is going to be too much for my wallet to handle. Something a bit smaller would probably fit my price range a little better. A brief look through on ebay, 40cc quadra's G23, G38's all seem in that range as well as a weedwacker converstion there could also be some other motors i don;t know about but something that weigh's in under $300 for the motor and an airframe to put it in Preferably not an ARF or total composite airframe . . . or does such a thing exist anymore?
Old 03-26-2004, 12:35 AM
mithrandir
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry... I was asking for help on my divorce and was told by RCUniverse that it was not appropriate for the forums... I withdraw my request.
Old 03-26-2004, 10:32 AM
Pugsley-RCU
My Feedback: (15)

Find you a DP Extra kit, used around $200 bucks....and a used BME 44.....$250 ish....

Pugs
Old 03-26-2004, 10:42 AM
v-snap
My Feedback: (18)

The best bet is the CA 300L, it builds easy and with the 2 piece wing it won't take up too much space. Stick with the gas if at all possible. This plane builds light and will fly with a quadra 52 if you can find one. Make sure to find one on ignition (XL) version because you do not want the weight of the flywheel up front. Look for an BME-44 or something of the sorts, also you many find a ZDZ 40 (not the sportsman) that will work if you are not looking for unlimited vertical. This is only a 14lb plane so it should fly OK.

A lot of people are into overpowering the airframe for 3-D so don't think you need a DA-50 for this to compete in IMAC-SCAT cuz I have yet to see the torque roll in the known or unkown, also never seen more then 2 snaps on the upline. Most plane engine combos can handle this. Search around on e-bay and here you will find good buys, just start building and get the engine when you find one in you price range. I would stay away from conversions unless your good at tinkering. The one thing you want in IMAC/SCAT is an engine that is consistant throughout the day.

This is just my opinion, I am not always correct and if you ask my wife I am always wrong....

Good Luck

V-Snap
Old 03-26-2004, 03:44 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Everyone is so quick to recommend the DA-50. I sware it seems it is the only gasser out there. You don't need a DA-50 for an 80" or so aerobat, especially if you are going to build from a kit. Save a couple hundred dollars and buy a new or used Brison 2.4 or 3.2, or a used BME 44 or 50 like Pugsley suggests. Use the money you saved to buy the plane!

A fellow at our field is flying an 80" CAP ARF with a G-45. It weighs 18-lbs[X(]! But it will do anything in the IMAC sequences.

I've never weighed my Laser 200 with a Brison 3.2, but I know it weighs at least 16-lbs, probably closer to 17-lbs, but the Brison will pull it straight up and out of sight!

By the way, I am a member of the Corona RC Club. I usually fly Saturday mornings. I'm the guy with the 87" Laser 200, and I usually bring out a 40-size P-51 also. If your out there this Saturday come by and say hi.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:38 AM
BasinBum

PTgarcia,
An 80" CAP at 18 lbs. might do the IMAC manuvers but it won't do them well.

Mupchu,
The recomendations for Extras seem to be what I have been told as well and light is right. I love my Brison 3.2 and they do come up used for sale quite often. In fact I'd look for used planes that fit your criterea in the Market Place here on RCU. Filter out everything except planes in California so you can go look at them in person. Many people move up to bigger planes from 1/4 scale so there are some good used planes for sale.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:40 PM
AeroDave

I had last week off and burned 6 gallons of gas in 7 days! Can you imagine what that amount of flying would cost on glow? You know, the G26 is a very promising engine. It has lots of power for the weight and its pretty cheap, too. i put a slimline muffler on mine and have heard that combination yields 15 lbs of thrust! That would be plenty for most 120 sized planes. Its worth a look. Too heavy for most 3D applications, but for starting in IMAC I think it would work very well. I have a Wild hare extra Special 28% coming at the end of this week. That's going to be my next IMAC bird. I can't wait!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 09:37 PM
BasinBum

Dave, What engine for your Wildhare? Not the G26 I hope.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:50 PM
AeroDave

Ha ha!!!!!!!!!!!! no way! I have a trusty G62 for that chore.
Old 04-16-2004, 01:03 PM
brweg

You got a lot of recommendations for Extras. I fly an Extra, and it is a good plane. But I think the Edge is a better plane for newer pilots. It is a bit more stable, will not get you into any trouble, and if you get yourself into trouble, its very low stall speed will help you get out of that trouble.

My favorite plane in this size was an Aeroworks 29% with a BME 44. Awesome combination. If the DA 50 or BME 50 are in the same weight range as the BME 44, they would be fine.