Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Hangar9 Edge 540 with gas

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:34 AM
lowpass 202

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hangar9 Edge 540 with gas

I have a gas engine on hand, think it is a 40-45 cc but dont know make and model.
I`m looking for a 3D plane for this and was wondering if the h9 edge is a good choice?
Any other plane that works with this enginesize?
I want good hovering power!

Lowpass
Old 04-01-2004, 12:56 AM
DBaya

Default RE: Hangar9 Edge 540 with gas

The plane seems to fly heavy with a Moki 1.8. A gas motor would not help since they are normally heavy than nitro motors.
Old 04-01-2004, 06:24 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

How much does the engine weigh and how fast can it turn a specific propeller.
There are a lot of planes that can take that motor, but need to know some specifics.

ORIGINAL: lowpass 202

I have a gas engine on hand, think it is a 40-45 cc but dont know make and model.
I`m looking for a 3D plane for this and was wondering if the h9 edge is a good choice?
Any other plane that works with this enginesize?
I want good hovering power!

Lowpass
Old 04-02-2004, 07:36 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I dont think the Edge would be a good choice for a gasser. I have one with a Moki...180.... and well..... I can say it doesn't fly heavy at all....matter of fact with that engine it's one of the best combos Ive seen in almost 30yrs of flying. Never the less.... you dont' specifically say what engine you have on-hand... as that alone would shed light on if the engine itself would warrant any particular airframe.
Its a fine line, and tough call matching a particular plane/engine in that class. As I know it.... they don't start coming on strong until about 50cc's. I do have a 50cc class gasser myself..... and I can say too....the Moki/Edge combo nearly outfly's my 15lb 27% Extra300(BME50), and both do have extreme power... very powerful plane combos, extremely unlimited aerobatic ships.
Down in the 40-45cc class though... the only engine(s) I can think of that would warrant a closely decent 3d power band might be the ZDZ40, or maybe the BME44 on a lighter airframe such as the H9 Edge. If you have some sort of converted engine, magneto style ignition and such.. that just won't cut it for what your looking for I don't think.
I do have both of these combo's and fly them regularly...so..just sharing a bit of experience here is all.
What kind of motor do you have there anyways?? Also....as someone asked already....a weight would help here too..... or better yet a pic..... We just like to help...
Old 04-03-2004, 06:51 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

I would go with the Wildhare Edge 540T and a 50cc gasser if you really want and edge in that size. The H9 Edge is not built for a gasser and the Moki 180 is heavy enough. I also have this plane and combo, built by DGrant the guy up above me and it in my opinion is an IMAC plane, I don't personally favor this plane for 3D, as it has some tendancies I am not happy with, I even had this one as light as you can get it with aftermarket gear and carbon fiber wherever I could put it. If you havent already got this plane, I would suggest the Wildhare, I think you would be much more pleased
Old 04-03-2004, 07:09 PM
lowpass 202

Well, I have the engine here now and the label reads "USE engines" model no. 417951. From what i can figure it is a U.S.Engines 41 and it weighs in at 5.3 lb including muffler and prop. That seems way too heavy for 3D aerobatics, right?
I`ve had my eye on the wild hare 540/DA50 combo but it`s just a little bit bigger and more expensive than I wanted.
Maybe I should think about it for a while?!..

Lowpass
Old 04-06-2004, 02:10 AM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Hey LP...yes...5lb++ engine on that plane would not be a good choice. If I were to entertain a gas engine for that plane it would be a ZDZ or BME, something a bit over half of what that engine you have weighs.
You might have a tough time finding a plane that engine will work in that way you want to fly.. I just don't think with the weight of that engine, it will have the power/weight ratio's that are pleasing to anyone attempting 3D/hovering manuevers.
Another GOOD combo though, is a DavePatrick Extra300, w/Moki 2.10. I've seen this first hand, and it's an extreme performer. It is glow obviously, but the Moki's do have a VERY nice power-band for such flying.
Gasser's are nice..although not all they're cracked up to be when matched with a good running glow engine. If you have the $600++ all said and done to get into a 50cc class gas engine, then do it while you can and save it for a nice airframe, other then that, you can nearly get a DavePatrick Extra300 AND a Moki 2.10 for just a hundred $$ or so more then you would pay for the gas engine alone, and that combo does ROCK!! It will 3D with the best I think.
I don't even worry about the price of fuel anymore either..as gas prices rise here in Calif.. it just makes flying glow planes seem that much cheaper.. hehe. Good luck.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:50 PM
CrazyHerb
My Feedback: (1)

Best airframes I can think of...for that motor would be the H9 UltraStick, or Stinger 120 (or GS).
Although not "scale"....still would be fun with the US 41cc.

Keep an eye out for anything with a wing area of 1200 sq inches or better and you'll have a ball with the US engine.

Good Luck!
CrazyHerb
Old 04-07-2004, 04:02 PM
lowpass 202

There has been development!
I came across a GP Extra 300 Patti Wagstaff with a 3W 50 in it that has only run a few flights, and at a good price. It`s a beautyfull plane although maybe not the ultimate 3D machine. I could still get another airframe in time and use the same equipment.
I have to say the wildHare Edge looks like a real performer but the color scheme is not the best i have seen. Also I live in Norway and we dont have nearly the same variety of models to choose from. The prices are almost twice the American in many cases, you guys are lucky! :-)
If you guys have any thougts on the Extra in 3D, please share!