Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

GSP 72" Extra 300 Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 06:12 PM
scottfl78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GSP 72" Extra 300 Inquiry

Hey guys... Man this plane looks sexy... Anybody got one/seen one? I also want to know if I could put a 25cc Homelite conversion in it... I understand that it might not fit though... I am seriously thinking of ordering it... Any Info please... $259.99 btw... Also any body have a ball park figure on S&H? I live in Oklahoma... Have no Idea where GSP ships from; hope it ain't China
more pics http://www.giantscaleplanes.com/Extr...00_72build.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57810.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	119152  
Old 04-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Ric Herber
My Feedback: (62)

Default RE: GSP 72" Extra 300 Inquiry

Scott,

I'm in the middle of assembling mine. The quality of the arf is pretty good. The instructions are minimal but if you've built a few previously, you won't have a problem.

The servo cutouts for the ailerons and elevator servos need to be expanded just a tad. The biggest pain is going to be re-engineering the canopy/access hatch attachment method. They designed the mounting screws for the canopy and canopy bottom go through the canopy, through the bottom, and into the fuse side. These have to be removed each time you access the radio compartment, which you will do each time you attach or remove the wings. The canopy bottom is a vacu-formed thin blue plastic that will not hold up to this type of daily handling. I think I'm going to reinforce it with some balsa and glass, add some ply mounting tabs, and screw through the fuselage sides into the tabs. That's how it's done on most larger planes.

I'm putting a ST2300 in mine and it will just about fit completely inside the cowl with the muffler.

Overall, I'm very impressed with what you get for the money. Now I'll have to see how it flies.

If you give it a try, I think you'll be happy with your decision.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:13 PM
scottfl78

Thanx for the info... I fly a lot... At least 3-4 times a week so I'm sure I will have to modify the radio access also... Sounds like I can fit a small gasser in there than right (25-33cc)? I'm new to gas too... So new that I don't have the motor yet A ST 2300 glow will suck fuel won't it?? Hell I thought my TT .46 Pro did...
Old 04-06-2004, 04:08 PM
scottfl78

Also... Is it realistic to fit a smoke system in it if I go with gas... I heard that glow engines don't smoke very well, or is the ST 2300 a different story... Did you see my Q about the Shipping and handling? Sorry to milk you like this but no one else seems to have any input... Maybe I would have been better off putting this in the ARF section...
Old 04-06-2004, 05:58 PM
Ric Herber

Sorry, I forgot to tell you the UPS shipping from Pennsylvania to Calif. was $50. You might want to check what the shipping to OK is. They told me the shipping charges would depend on the destination.

As for adding smoke, I have no idea about using smoke since I've never done it. I'm installing a 24 oz. tank since there is plenty of room for it. That will allow the ST to fly for 10-15 minutes without a problem. I've never run a gas engine but I would imagine you should have no problem with it fitting. By the way, the engine box was already fiberglassed with heavy cloth. Nice touch!
Old 04-06-2004, 06:27 PM
scottfl78

Cool thanx for the reply... I am guessing about 20-25$ then to OK... I think I would get about 10-12 Min out of a gasser(you pay $3.00/flight I pay $.30)... I am just sick of gulping through 16$ gallons of glow fuel... Not to change the subj but have you looked into a gas conversion? $crew a $400 Zenoah (although they are fine engines) you can convert a 69$ bandit chainsaw engine easily in about 20 Minutes... Total cost will be less than $150.00 and the 3 or so conversion parts can be ordered... Anyhow If you want more info just let me know... And If you get her up in the air I'd love to see pics or video...
Old 04-06-2004, 11:16 PM
CrazyHerb
My Feedback: (1)

Scott,
Definitly be careful with the smoke idea on a smaller gasser....a little extra weight isn't worth the price in performance on this size..IMHO...

I wouldn't run the extra weight of smoke on anything less than a 40cc gasser.
I have one on my Ryobi 31cc and while under my own recommended size (I'm flying a 24 chord x96 span foamie at 18lbs, 14 oz sq ft loading with it)...so, I can give a little bit on the weight...

The Extra looks awesome...I'm building the GSP Katana 1.40 right now with RCS 1.40 gasser (swings a Bambula 16x8 at over 9000).
Hoping to keep it under 10 lbs (but will be happy with 11 if it happens).
http://www.crazyherb.com/Katana/katana.htm

Even though the RCS is only 23cc it packs a pretty good punch for it's size and is only 3 lbs RTF...

Don't ruin your experience with the Extra and a weedie conversion.....they just don't have the "balls"...this plan DESERVES better...hehhe

Now...a 33cc homelite.....maybe.....but the 45cc is only like 2 oz more and 25 lbs thrust....
This size plane is a killer.....too small for gas really...but too big to feed glow fuel....

Look for a really LIGHT and powerfull 30-35cc....maybe RCShowcase's ROTO 35??

Watch that wing loading....and choose carefully.....best of luck....

Fly hard....land soft...

CrazyHerb
Old 04-07-2004, 04:45 AM
memotr

hii....
ı ordered one of the gsp 72'' extraand ı will use my 2.4 brison on it!ı will put smoke also,ı think 16*10 3 blade prop fits it!or 2 blade 18*10 to make 3d!what do you prefer to me?did you like that arf??must ı screw the wing every time?or can ı keep it already?

thank you....[&:]
Old 04-07-2004, 06:18 AM
scottfl78

Default RE: GSP 72" Extra 300 ARF Inquiry

I am afraid to start cutting the bottom out of the cowl out of a plane too, but too cheap to buy a Commercial Model gas engine... Here is a pic of a poulan 46cc in a Patty Wagstaff (78") span I think... And a Homelti 25cc on a CG Ultimate (54" span) I am just under the impression it would fit (33cc)... I sat all last night reading up on chainsaw conversions... Don't burst my bubble [&o] haha when you get a chance could you give me rough dimensions of the firewall?? Of a pic of your ST 2500 on it for comparison? I really appreciate it...

Name:	Zu66404.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	119600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Om34419.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	119601  
Old 04-07-2004, 09:23 AM
CrazyHerb
My Feedback: (1)

Hi all,

If I did my math right...the Extra only has 864 sq inches of wing area.

My H9 Edge was a tip stalling beast with 150 more sq inches at 12 lbs....

Check your calculations on wing loading for an aerobatic models....and while these ARFs do build light...
I don't know if you can keep the loading low enough to be happy with it... I think 26 oz sq ft is about the limit...

Nice thing about the Bipe is you can get a LOT of wing area in a smaller package....as nuts as that configuration is....probably gonna be ok with that combo.

Good Luck!
CrazyHerb
Old 04-07-2004, 08:29 PM
Ric Herber

Scott,

The firewall mounting area is about 4 in. tall by 4.5 in. wide. I don't have my ST2300 mounted yet, so I can't give you a picture. If you check the GSP site, you will see the engine box sits high on the front of the plane. I checked and I was right, the 2300 w/ stock muffler will completely fit inside the cowl when mounted at 90 deg. Very nice paint job on the cowl, by the way.

Good luck.

I almost forgot to add that the wingtips have 4 deg. of washout in them. That should help with tip stalling but I guess I'll find out for sure when I get it in the air.
Old 04-07-2004, 08:35 PM
scottfl78

well the homelite rtf is about 7 1/2 inches tall, 6" wide... too big I guess...? Unless I let it stick out the bottom and made some kind of miracle custom exhaust...

Name:	Ig12699.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	119840  
Old 04-08-2004, 02:37 PM
Ric Herber

Scott,

Actually, I think the Homelite would fit pretty well inverted with the exhaust out the side or diverted 90 deg. down.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:20 PM
ExeterUFO

Hi Scott,
I noticed a price you found for the 25cc in a previous post (near the top of this thread). I got my first one from www.gcbmrc.com for $210.

Of particular note:I think Bill Carpenter at C&H ignition mentioned he has a bunch of craft with this engine installed. Contact him at www.ch-ignitions.com or 307-857-6897. In that he supplies most of the gas engine manufacturers with ignition gear I would think he would be an excellent source of info for you.
Doug
Old 04-08-2004, 06:38 PM
scottfl78

Thanx a lot I am checking out the site right now...
Old 04-09-2004, 12:09 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

If that 25cc Homelite conversion weighs 64oz. you don't want to put it in a 72" Extra. It's way too heavy. You need to stick with glow or buy one of the lighter (read more expensive[]) gas engines. The Brison 2.4 may be your best choice: low weight, good power, great running, and a reasonable price. Good luck!

p.s. Just for comparison, my Brison 3.2 with pitts muffler, ignition, and battery weigh just a few ounces more than that bare Homelite conversion...food for thought.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:47 PM
scottfl78

Thanx... I'm starting to think I'm just going to go glow like a ST 2300 or similar... The ST is 38 oz... about 2 pounds lighter i guess... I just hate glow fuel costs... Homelite is so easy for me to do cause the base has a full machine shop with welding capabilities that i can use... Oh well
Old 04-09-2004, 04:38 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Scott, I feel your pain. Glow fuel costs will break the bank with some of these larger engines. You need just a little more plane to get where gas engines make sense and are the best performers without making a pig of a plane. Good luck with that extra, its a nice looking plane, and if it flies anything like the Katana you will enjoy it. I have an extra on the way also, but with an 84" wing. I will be running a BME 50cc gas engine. Take care!
Old 04-13-2004, 03:14 PM
loser
My Feedback: (37)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys......a word of caution. I have a GSP 35% edge that I started flying last fall. My overall impression was "so-so" on the quality/workmanship but BEWARE THE LANDING GEAR. I am not sure of the type of gear supplied in the kits discussed here but if they are a white "fiberglass" gear, keep an eye on them. The gear on my edge collapsed after about the eigth flight. There were no hard landings, etc. on the gear. After landing and starting a turn back to the pits the outside leg gave way and dropped the plane onto its belly. Thank you God for not breaking my carbon fiber prop. After inspecting the gear...it consisted of glass fibers all running in the same direction (following the gear legs) and was not fully saturated with resin. May not be as critical with these medium sized planes but check it out. I bought this ARF unassembled from a guy on RCU so never contacted GSP. Hey GSP....if you read this give me a call....lol

Steve