Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > IMAC
Reload this Page >

Why do i always see Extras,Edges,Caps, etc at IMAC?

Community
Search
Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Why do i always see Extras,Edges,Caps, etc at IMAC?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 12:30 PM
3dandpatternflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do i always see Extras,Edges,Caps, etc at IMAC?

im jus wondering....I've never been to an IMAC competition but whenever i look at pics and stuff all i ever see is Extras, Edges, Caps etc. Isn't Imac Pattern Aerobatics?? How come i don't see people with Cubs??

Thanks,
Andrew Tzers
Old 05-31-2004, 01:54 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why do i always see Extras,Edges,Caps, etc at IMAC?

IMAC is Scale Aerobatics, emulating full scale sompetition. All classes except Basic require a scale aircraft to compete with. A clipped wing Cub is legal but they don't fly the maneuvers as well so you won't see many in competition. Pattern planes are synthetic creations and are not legal for IMAC competition.

For more info:
www.mini-iac.com
Old 06-03-2004, 10:06 AM
RobT
My Feedback: (17)

You might also see giles, vortex, lasers, Acro pro's, Yaks, Suhkoi's . . . Anything that has flown in a full sclae IAC contest is Legal. If you fly basic, Like Ryan said, come down with anything to get your feet wet.
Old 06-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You CAN fly a Decathlon or a Citabria at ANY level of competition in IMAC. At least around these parts you can. A Decathlon and a Citabria are both aerobatic trainers that have been flown at full sacale competitions- they are legal to fly at IMAC in any class.

Generally, you can enter and fly ANY plane that is scale and has been flown at an IAC event.

Your not going to WIN, because these planes don't fly near as well as a Cap, Extra, Yak...etc.. People don't generally fly the Decathlon or Citabria because they aren't capable of flying as precise or smooth as the other more popular aerobatic thoroughbreds.

I don't think you can enter a Cub, Beaver, or Cessna 150 in an IMAC event. Simply because these arent aerobatic planes and have never been used to compete in an IAC event. You could enter one of these planes in the basic class, because that class doesn't require a scale aerobatic plane. It's a "get your feet wet" class and should welcome anyone with a Kadet LT-40 if they want to try it out.

I'd love to enter a giant scale Decathlon in the basic class and see how I could do. Probably get my butt smoked, but it'd still be neat to see a Decathlon doing all that stuff in a competative environment.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Baron Johnson

ORIGINAL: Rcpilet
I don't think you can enter a Cub, Beaver, or Cessna 150 in an IMAC event. Simply because these arent aerobatic planes and have never been used to compete in an IAC event. You could enter one of these planes in the basic class, because that class doesn't require a scale aerobatic plane. It's a "get your feet wet" class and should welcome anyone with a Kadet LT-40 if they want to try it out.
Cubs have been used a lot in IAC. In fact, Giles Henderson dominated Sportsman with a clipped-wing Cub and won the Nationals at least once with it. A Cub will be difficult to be competitive with in IMAC, but it's legal
Old 06-08-2004, 05:23 AM
3D Joy

I imagine an upline snap with a cub ---> should look ridiculous
Old 06-08-2004, 06:06 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Giles also flew a Cassut last year -didn't he?
Old 06-08-2004, 07:22 AM
Baron Johnson

ORIGINAL: dick Hanson

Giles also flew a Cassut last year -didn't he?
I believe so...
Old 06-08-2004, 12:23 PM
deckerv
My Feedback: (21)

OOH... how about the Super Chipmunk.. Didn't the late Art Scholls fly his in the WAC before??
Old 06-08-2004, 03:44 PM
Baron Johnson

Just to clarify the rules...

IMAC does not require the plane to have been flown in competition. The full scale plane must be built, and it must be "known to be capable of aerobatic competition within the airspace known as the box".

IMAC Rules can be found on this page: http://www.mini-iac.com/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=90