IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

HORIZON HOBBIES

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 08:45 PM
badarkstar
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HORIZON HOBBIES

I wasn't sure where to post this for maximum exposure but this seemed as good a place as any. I am a dyed in the wool FUTABA guy and use a WC2 and love it. But I do use a lot of the JR digital servos (8411, 8611). They are arguably the best bang for the buck for our big aerobatic planes. I had a JR 8411 go bad in one of my planes. I sent it in to Horizon Hobbies who I had never had to deal with before. I had no receipt, and wasn't even sure if it was less than 3 years old or older. I did explain that I wanted it repaired if it was cost effective to do so and to let me know how much or if I just needed to buy a new one. About 10 days later I recieved a box from Horizon. One brand new 8411 Servo replaced under warranty.

This in contrast to when I sent my Futaba reciever to Hobby Services who 8 months prior I paid $ 45.00 to repair because it had gone bad. So this time about 2 weeks later they call me and tell me there is nothing wrong with it and that I will be charged 25.00 for check out and such. I discussed that this reciever would lock out with no warning and it went out exactly the same as before and would just lock out. They said my options were that they could just keep it and pay nothing (and have nothing). Or pay it and get a PCM rx back that I wouldnt trust in an expensive plane. So there it sits on my bench, every time I look at it... well you know what I'm saying under my breath.

So THANK YOU HORIZON for the world class service you provide. Iv'e never said a bad word about my experience with Hobby Services until now, and its only because I see the contrast in how 2 companies feel about their customers.

Old 02-23-2005, 10:03 PM
BobbyRichardson

Default RE: HORIZON HOBBIES

I've been dealing the the Horizon guys a long time and they have never been anything but first class. In my book they are the gold standard in service and products. Maybe time for a 10X to go along with them servo's.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:21 PM
vatechguy3
My Feedback: (11)

the problem with switching brands is the cost of the receivers. i've got 10 or so planes. it would be almost 2k to change receivers alone. plus the cost of the 10x.

thats the first i've heard of service like that from futaba. i would call them back and take it up with someone of higher authority. and just keep going up the chain until you talk to someone who listens.

hope this helps.

tony
Old 02-23-2005, 10:55 PM
badarkstar

I do like the 10X, it is a very nice radio, but like I said dyed in the wool Futaba and I absolutely love my WC2. Maybe the MZ14 would pry me away though hehehehehe. Yea Tony I might have gotten somewhere griping to someone higher up, but I'm just glad I dont need them very often to fix anything. I usually just find an alternative. I'm thinking anymore I'd probably just send anything to Tony Stillman and give him a try. I've heard he his very good to deal with. Bill
Old 02-24-2005, 08:21 AM
Desertrat
My Feedback: (2)

hmmm. was that a little bit of crow eating? Maybe you're the Fuzzy hat guy and I was off the mark thinking it was Jack...

Seems somehow ironic that I'm using almost all Futaba servos with my JR radio doesnt it Bill? I think the Futaba S9152 is every bit as good or *better* (here come the flames) than a 8611... but thats me. Hey man, Glad to hear about somebody good to go to if my JR stuff ever breaks.. so far never had the opportunity to take advantage of them (stuff just works... go figure) :P Just kidding, I had to send a few things in after I duffed the Staudacher - same thing, lots of warranty work, lots of discounted fixes and new stuff for cheap.

Roger
Old 02-24-2005, 08:31 PM
badarkstar

Not really any crow eating Mr 8103. I just wanted to give a nod to a company that treated me way better than I could have ever expected. You know me I still LOVE my WC2. There is no doughbt though that Futaba's servos are just as good or maybe even superior to the 8611's I dont know I've never used Futaba's best. The 8611's are a hell of a fine servo. Luckily they work great with Futaba Rx's. Id use the Futaba If I could get it for the same price. You know how money challenged I am......
Old 02-25-2005, 12:07 AM
Andy540T
My Feedback: (9)

badarkstar,
I need to send all of my electronics in from my mid-air last week end. Is there any special instructions or forms I need? Where do I send them? Any info you could give me would be great.

Thanks in advance
Andy
Old 02-25-2005, 07:58 AM
Desertrat

Andy, here is a link off the Horizon site for thier service and repair checklist. Just follow the instructions on it and everything will go just dandy. [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/media/pdf/servicecenterchecklist.pdf]Service and repair checklist[/link]

Send your stuff to the address on the letterhead of the checklist. Pack your items well - they will be returning in the same box you send them out in. Make sure you provide accurate phone numbers, they will be calling you when the start working on your stuff.

Roger

PS: Bill you just had to bring up the 8103 didnt you..... you call me Mr. 10x now. My dad is Mr 8103, and not a glitch out of it since it made that one trip back. Also, stop by Tower Hobbies coach, they are selling high end Futaba servos, most of them cost the same or are a little cheaper than JR. You got a fuzzy hatted sugar momma buying you RC stuff again?
Old 02-25-2005, 08:56 AM
Andy540T
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks Roger.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:31 PM
badarkstar

Thanks Roger for replying to Andys question. No sugar mama but i do have a local hobbie shop that helps me out I cant' believe you sold that 8103 to your dad. He should have his Kligon friends beat you silly. I'll check out the Futaba servos for sure. Which one is the 8611 eqiv?
Old 02-25-2005, 11:23 PM
Desertrat

I didnt sell it to him... I gave it to him with the kadet. He's not a fast learner, but I do watch over my shoulder for the klingons. Look at the S9152 - slightly larger package, but a much beefier gear train.

Roger