Advanced sequence question >

Advanced sequence question

Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Advanced sequence question

Old 11-25-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced sequence question

On the Humpty bump how many of you guys are coming in and how many are going out? I have been practicing it going out but that means doing the snap whil looking at the bottom of the airplane and I don't think it presents too well.

Shawn Berkheimer

R/C Blimp Productions. com

Old 11-25-2005, 04:49 PM
My Feedback: (39)

Default RE: Advanced sequence question

Hi Shawn,

I've been trying to do it coming in, but I have to pay real close attention to not getting too close in before I do that maneuver. Several times I've been forced to go out just because I was already pretty close in when I pulled up into the maneuver.

How's that number 4 maneuver coming along? Yikes!!

Take care,

Dean Bird
Sun Valley Fliers
Phoenix, AZ
Old 11-25-2005, 06:20 PM
My Feedback: (7)

Is the Advanced sequence for 2006 posted for non-IMAC members??

thanx

ed
Old 11-25-2005, 07:09 PM
My Feedback: (1)

They sure are..

http://www.mini-iac.com/DesktopDefault.aspx
Old 11-25-2005, 08:01 PM
My Feedback: (12)

I like to do the humpty out. looking at the bottom looks fine IMO. I LOVE manouver #4 Dean. I loved it in the proposals and am glad it is in the known. It is very challenging and is difficult to make look good.

Ryan
Old 11-25-2005, 08:27 PM
My Feedback: (198)

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been doing the humpty both ways depending how close I am flying. We did the belly in snap all last year on the figure 9.

I like #4, I need to focus on the shape of the loop.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:32 PM

No Kidding Dean, that loop is a real ball buster. I,ve been trying to get the airplane to actually arc some as I come around to knife edge but it takes alot of rudder and then I have too much for the snap. I guess I just need to burn a few gallons on just that one manuver. I am going to try the humpty coming in next time to see if it looks any better.

Shawn Berkheimer

R/C Blimp Productions.com
Old 11-26-2005, 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Ryans Rebel

I LOVE manouver #4 Dean. I loved it in the proposals and am glad it is in the known. It is very challenging and is difficult to make look good.

Ryan
It's definitely challenging!! I think that maneuver is an Unlimited caliber maneuver. I'm glad they have some very challenging stuff in Advanced. That will make the jump to Unlimited a little easier for the big dogs that decide to make that jump.

Good luck on the build for your new plane. You might want to monitor John's build thread on the mid-wing Extra's he's building right now.

http://www.flyingcirkus.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=106135

Take care,

Dean Bird
Sun Valley Fliers
Phoenix, AZ
Old 11-26-2005, 10:00 PM

Dean,

It is an unlimited manouver and it is getting more difficult the more I fly it it seams.

John also has a build thread here on RCU in the Aerotech support forum.

Later,
Ryan
Old 11-27-2005, 05:58 PM

Consider something on the Outside/inside reverse avalanche.

Masters in Pattern has a very similar avalanche last and this next year. Only difference is it doens't have the 1/2 roll. The IMAC manuever is actually easier if you think about it. The 1/2 roll is prior to dead bottom, the snap should occur directly after dead bottom. A positive snap usually will gain a slight amount of altitude if you let it, helping to keep the radius. With the avalance in pattern, the middle of the snap should be at dead bottom, and getting a snap to start on a downward slope, but end on a slight upward slope is extremely difficult.

I am anxious to try this new sequence.

As far as the Humpty, practice it both ways. You may have a 20 mph wind blowing you in or visa versa, blowing you out. If you are at an Advanced level you should be able to snap either way, just a matter of putting it together either way. This will help your confidence in a contest.

Ed
Old 11-27-2005, 06:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Divesplat

If you are at an Advanced level you should be able to snap either way

Ed
Splat,

2006 will be my first year in Advanced and will only be my third year flying snaps. I've been attempting them for two years and still can't do them. Now I have to do them on up lines. Just because I'm in Advanced doesn't give me the ability to do snaps.

Shawn's original post didn't suggest being able to do them one way or the other, he was just asking which way we thought presented better.

Have fun with the sequence!!

Dean Bird
Sun Valley Fliers
Phoenix, AZ
Old 11-27-2005, 07:54 PM
My Feedback: (1)

shawn, i plan on going out with it. i like looking at the bottom of my plane.

I like to do the humpty out. looking at the bottom looks fine IMO. I LOVE manouver #4 Dean. I loved it in the proposals and am glad it is in the known. It is very challenging and is difficult to make look good.

Ryan
ryan, id have to agree that it is challenging. however i think that it is easier than doing the 2 of 4, while keeping the radius. the snap after the roll helps keep it round.

brian s.
Old 11-27-2005, 11:16 PM

Hey Dean. Think you misunderstand me.

My point is, snaps are in Basic (at least in years past), then in Sportsman, then more in Intermediate, more in Advanced and finally, more in Unlimited. There is a progression, set up so learning fundamentals occur as a person moves up in classes.

My question would be, if you haven't, as you said "figured out snaps yet" maybe you would be better off staying in Intermediate and working on that.

By my way of thinking an Advanced pilot should be able to, and not in any order, snap either way, neg snap either way, vertical snap either way, slow roll either direction, inverted to inverted, 4 point and 8 point rolls either direction, and inverted to inverted. do a 4 roll roller, do inverted or pos spins.

Again, if someone has not figured out how to do the above, they haven't gone through the progression that IMAC has set up to accomplish this. In the years I have flown IMAC, the one downfall to many is moving up too quickly, and not learning these basics as they move up.

It is your choice of course, and I respect that. Just food for thought.

As far as presentation, either will present well if you don't get so far out because you could only go one way, or don't fly over the pits because you only practiced the other way. The key is to perform the maneuver well, and presentation will take care of itself. However, as stated before, circumstances come up in contests we don't face practicing at our home field.

ed
Old 11-27-2005, 11:44 PM

Dean won 5 contests in Intermediate this past year. He HAS to move up. I am sure he will do fine [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 11-28-2005, 01:06 AM

I had hoped to be able to get out sometime this weekend to try the humpty coming in and just couldn't get out to the field. The board is full of tailwheel orders so I doubt I will be able to get out at all this week. From a judge's standpoint I am thinking I would like to see the snap looking at the top of the airplane but thats just personal prefrence I guess. I think Dean will do just fine in Advanced, for me to get a good understanding of snaps from different attitudes I had to spend some time with a really good unlimited pilot standing behind me playing coach. It made a big difference.

Shawn Berkheimer

Old 11-28-2005, 09:24 AM

My apologies to Dean. Didn't know the circumstances. My congrats are to him.

What I said was not meant as a personal hit.

Ed
Old 11-28-2005, 09:28 AM

Ed
Oh don't apologize to him, give him hell!! [&:]

He's just trying to lull all of his fellow competitors here in the SW into a false sense of complacency. Poor Dean, can't snap. Right
Old 11-28-2005, 08:49 PM

You had it summed up!!

Attached Images  
Old 11-28-2005, 11:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Phaedrus-MMVI

Ed
Oh don't apologize to him, give him hell!! [&:]

Yeah. He may have 5 wins but he ain't that good! Maybe those snaps will slow him down next year!

Ryan
Old 11-29-2005, 01:13 AM

Dean can already fly the routine, even the loop fiesta. So NO MORE CRYING
Old 11-29-2005, 08:28 AM

ORIGINAL: quist

Dean can already fly the routine, even the loop fiesta. So NO MORE CRYING
Thanks for clearing it up for us Tony. I knew he had a leg up on everyone already. I still have not flown the known routine in its entirety.[]

Ryan
Old 11-29-2005, 10:54 AM

Thanks for clearing it up for us Tony. I knew he had a leg up on everyone already. I still have not flown the known routine in its entirety.[]

Ryan
And Dean has probably flown 20 gallons already.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:28 AM

Yea, that Dean is a sly one. I did try the humpty coming in yesterday and I was happier with the presentation. The loop is getting better but I had to cut it short as it started to rain enough I felt I better call it a day. I guess I need to move to AZ. so I can get more practice in during the winter.

Shawn Berkheimer

Old 11-29-2005, 12:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Phaedrus-MMVI

Ryan
And Dean has probably flown 20 gallons already.
Gas goes much further with the DA 100!!!

I'm just working on it with the 2.6m Extra. I've only flown it from the right. It's getting less risky to the plane, so now it's time to attempt if from the left. By the time I find a RTF plane for next year, I should be able to fly the sequence without dumb thumbs being a risk to the plane.

Tony "Rolling Thunder" Quist flew the sequence a couple weekends and already had it mastered. He's already put it away and is practicing pattern for the January pattern contest at our field.

This should be a great year for competition in the Southwest!! Lots of great pilots in every class. The class newbies, like me, are looking forward to learning a lot of new skills from the class veterans. A whole new batch of Basic pilots are getting ready with their workshop on December 17th and their warm-up contest on January 14th.

I hope to see you all at the Cactus Classic on February 18th and 19th!!

Happy Holidays,

Dean Bird
Sun Valley Fliers
Phoenix, AZ

Old 11-29-2005, 08:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Dean Bird

Tony "Rolling Thunder" Quist flew the sequence a couple weekends and already had it mastered. He's already put it away and is practicing pattern for the January pattern contest at our field.

Happy Holidays,

Dean Bird
Sun Valley Fliers
Phoenix, AZ

Now this is just not true. I finally got it memorized, it looks horrible. Now if I could only memorize the 23 figures in the Masters pattern I would be happy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.