Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 07:40 PM
Hubb
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 sequence proposals

wow

OK I'll start a thread in IMAC forum!

anyone lucky enough to fly any of the proposed IMAC sequences for 2003?

in particular advanced class? I like the way member proposal # 1 flows. any thoughts?

Hubb
Old 12-12-2002, 07:53 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm glad to see the real IAC basic sequence is a little more difficult than the IMAC one flown last year. Hopefully it will be adopted by IMAC. Even though I'm moving on to Sportsman this year (crossing my fingers to be flying Intermediate later this summer), I felt the Basic sequence was just too easy last year.
Old 12-13-2002, 01:33 PM
rcplanefan
My Feedback: (2)

Hey Hubb,

Yeah, I like the IAC #1 best, too. I'm a big fan of the "down and dirty" roller. That should separate the men from the boys. My second choice would be Member #1. I don't too much care for Member #2--especially maneuver #5. That will be tough to make look good (although I do like the opposite 4 points from inverted--fun).

I wish the weather would clear enough for me to "sample" the 3, but we are now looking at more snow this weekend. Maybe over the holidays I can fly my dad's 0.40 sized Laser and try them out. Can't be that much more difficult than an underpowered Ultimate, right?

If anyone out there gets to fly these, let me know.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:19 PM
Fly4Fun2
My Feedback: (25)

What??? You two aren't moving up to Unlimited to give poor ol' Sammy a break next year??? <BG>

I am still building so I can't go fly. (I've got a lot of stuff out of the Giles to fit in the Edge.)

For anyone in Sportsman, I like the Member proposed #1 the best - then member #2.

hey Ken - Were you ever able to get in touch with one of those guys for the pool table slates?
Old 12-13-2002, 03:30 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default What to do to compete?

Thinking about competing in basic this year. What do I need to do, besides practice-practice-practice. Any organization I must join. etc... Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-2002, 03:48 PM
Fly4Fun2

You only HAVE to have AMA. Joining IMAC is a good idea, but not required.

Then go to the IMAC site and download the flying and judging guide. Read it and ask questions. Then practice - a lot. And then go to a contest. You can check the IMAC site for a listing of contests. There are SEVERAL in your area. You are in the North Central region - same as Mike, Ken and Myself.

Hope to see you in the Spring!

Keith
Old 12-13-2002, 05:22 PM
rcplanefan
My Feedback: (2)

Hi Keith,

I called all three and decided that I would just hunt them down before my next project. I was so far along on the building of the plane that I need to sheet RIGHT THEN.

Good luck with the Edge. You moving up next year?

Ken
Old 12-13-2002, 05:51 PM
Fly4Fun2

I'm am going to stay in Sportsman. I really have some things I need to work on and get down first before I move up. If we keep the points system as it is now, I will not have a shot at the championships because I can't make enough of the contests so I will hopefully move up in the middle of the year. We will see. Besides, if I move up, I have to deal with being Marty and Mike Barbee's whipping boy every weekend.

Sorry it took so long to get the info on the slates. It was kind of a frustrating process. If you need to use mine you are welcome to it.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:33 PM
Flyfalcons

Do you have to join IMAC to compete in classes other than Basic? I've only competed in that class so far, and had heard a rumor that you need to join IMAC when you move up.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:39 PM
Fly4Fun2

I have never seen a contest where you were required to be an IMAC member. Even the Nats only require AMA.

Still, it is well worth the money. Especially now that the newsletter comes out in RCExcellence. You have a choice to get the newsletter online or to get the RCExcellence subscription at a reduced rate.
Old 12-13-2002, 07:04 PM
Hubb

member (he said member) proposal #1 looks like it flows nice. at least with the stick plane!!

I dont care for member prop #2. particular manuver 8,9,10. it looks like things might get rushed and low. I am tired of immlemans and other such manuvers preceeding long and dangerous downline manuvers like we had last year. twice!

the only thing I dont like in IAC proposal is the roller. not sure what that will look like ending low off center cross box.

my vote is for Member proposal #1

Keith, Im staying in Advanced to start the year at least. my flying time may become extreamly limited this summer and I may only make a few contests. not sure about the Nats now either at least Ken and I can keep battling it out to start the year.

Hubb
Old 12-16-2002, 09:59 AM
hmorin

Ryan, you don't have to be an IMAC member to move up from Basic. I am going to take a shot at skipping a class and going to Adv. Speak to you soon.

Howard
Old 12-16-2002, 05:07 PM
Flyfalcons

Yeah Howard, can't wait to start practicing!
Old 01-01-2003, 01:14 AM
Cincinnati Joe

Default 2003 Sportsman sequence

The weather here Sunday was great and I managed to get in two flights (4 sequences). The only thing in Sportsman that will separate the men from the boys is the triangle loop with full rolls on the first up and down legs. Trying to get equal length before and after the first roll determines the SIZE of the overall maneuver. Every second wasted before the first roll makes the whole maneuver grow out of control sizewize in the blink of an eye!. Throw in a bad rudder correction on the second leg, and it can move in and out as well!! Lesson learned here - pitch up 45, then ROLL!!!! don't waste time thinkin!!! The rest of the sequence flows nicely. That 270 aerobatic turn is also a killer! I never thought I'd have trouble with a simple turn! It's almost as hard as flying straight!

Got some new guys interested in IMAC! Maybe 2, one for sure... When I tell them that flying straight accounts for at least 2 points out of every 10, they just roll their eyes and you can see 'em thinking "I can fly straight!" - yeah, right!
Old 01-01-2003, 01:23 AM
Flyfalcons

What triangle loop? You mean the diamond loop I think.
Old 01-01-2003, 05:20 PM
Cincinnati Joe

You are absolutely correct. It's ALWAYS easier to be a judge than a pilot!!
Old 01-01-2003, 05:29 PM
Fly4Fun2

yea, but knowing Joe, he was probably flying a triangle!!!

Nice to see you here Joe. Were you flying last years Staudecer or the new one??

Keith Sessions
Old 01-01-2003, 05:43 PM
Cincinnati Joe

Last year's... Just yesterday I punched out all the parts for the new one - so my new flying buddy could SCRATCH build one!! I added some wood to the fuse sides last night - to move the main wing up one inch - just did the first fuse side doubler and waiting for the epoxy to cure. Also going to airfoil the tailfeathers. Guess this one will be an S300M (M for modified!!) There's also a full scale staud with fin/rudder more like the cap - which I'll be doing as well. My girlfriend asked me "will this fly better?" - I responded "hell if I know" - but that's the fun in this hobby!! I get 4 months to dream while I'm building it!!

Hey- I mastered the rolling circle in BOTH directions! About 150 crashes and maybe 10 hours of simulator time - WITH wind and gusts to 10MPH. Also been practicing hovering. With NO wind, it's a snap - soon as you add 2 MPH it becomes a WHOLE different ball game. Most amazing thing of all, everything I've learned on the sim tranlates directly to the real airplane. I've tweaked the airplane in the sim to fly as much like the staud as possible. Funny thing is, I can't get the blender to flatten out!
Old 01-02-2003, 03:00 PM
Hubb

yea, but knowing Joe, he was probably flying a triangle!!!
ahh, how true that is

interesting on the wing idea Joe. I was going to suggest dropping the stab about an inch instead. give me a shout when you get a chance, Id like to talk about airfoils before you start on the wing.

Hubb