Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > IMAC
Reload this Page >

Creek Hobbies or Giants Scale Planes E-540?

Community
Search
Notices
IMAC Discuss IMAC style aerobatics in here

Creek Hobbies or Giants Scale Planes E-540?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2002, 06:53 AM
Post Hole

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Creek Hobbies or Giants Scale Planes E-540?

Hello All,

I am preparing to purchase (unless Santa is REALLY good to me) a 72"+ aircraft for the 2003 IMAC season. I want to get up to the Sportsman class before the Fall IMAC and want one airframe I can work with and become proficient with.

I know the BEST way to get the best airframe is to kit-build one myself and modify it for weight savings, or spend $$ and buy one of the pro-level 30%+ planes. But my budgets in time and $$ do not allow for either of those options.

Now, with that information in mind I have narrowed my search down to a couple of ARF's that look good (on the web anyways) to me. Giant Scale Planes has a 72" Edge 540 ARF, on sale for $220. Creek Hobbies has their 72" Edge 540 ARF for $200. Obviously the $20 difference will not make or break the deal for me, but quality and weight will.

Also I am not locked into an Edge 540, it just seems that a lot of you on this forum like them. I was looking into an Extra at first, and the Suhkoi, but kept my mind open and am now leaning toward the Edge. I have flown my best friends Staudacher, and I like it, but...

So my question to you is: Is there a preference (and why) of one over the other, as in Creek Hobbies or Giant Scale Planes brand?

Ok, since I have yer attention, one more question: Am I barking at the moon here wanting an Edge of this size, is there a better ~72" airframe out there for IMAC?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:25 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

I have a GSP Edge that I am selling RTF with a YS120NC. I have flown the plane once, and the reason I am selling it is because I am going completely to gas. This is my last 1/4 scale glow plane and I am wanting to sell it for $600 complete plus shipping.

I can send pictures to you if you like.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:33 PM
GVeasey

I found a completed, unflown, Creek Hobbies Edge 540 with a MDS 148 on eBay. It arrived successfully on an Greyhound bus yesterday.

I doubt if you will get any unbiased comments, since one usually owns only one model.

I can attest that the quality of workmanship is first rate on mine.

The instruction manual is on a CD... color photos, but the Chinese/English is strange.

I'm happy... so far.

I can email photos privately, if interested.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:36 PM
Post Hole

Geistware,

That sounds interesting to me. This one is the ~72" one?

What kind of gear are you including with this aircraft? Did you make any modifications during assembly? I know you flew it one time, how much time was on the engine before it was put into the plane?

Yes, I am interested. Yes please send info and photos to [email protected], removing the obvious SPAM faker of course. As I have a pretty fast connection feel free to send as many and as large of photos as you care to.

Oh dang, as I write this I see you are back east and I am in Tucson, AZ. What are the chances of this thing actually shipping this far? Is it a 2 piece wing? If you have experience with this aspect of selling something this size please let me know how it works.
Old 12-22-2002, 04:41 PM
Post Hole

GV,

I have never tried to purchase anything from EBAY yet... have heard all kinds of stories, negative ones, you know.

I am glad you had a good experience, and yes please feel free to email any info you care to to [email protected] removing the obvious SPAM faker of course.

How did the shipping work? Did it need a special crate for shipping? I would assume so since Greyhound is not known for being gentle with their shipping.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2002, 08:07 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Email is on its way!
Old 12-23-2002, 04:08 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

I have one of these on the way - I got in on the ~$200 sale that Creek had running. The plane will probably sit for a while, but I'm planning on putting a small gasser into it.

I'd also appreciate receiving pics of you guys setups...
Old 12-23-2002, 12:38 PM
GVeasey

I have removed the engine for break in and testing. I understand there may be a carb problem with the MDS 148.

I glassed the center section of the wing, top and bottom.... had one plane fold its wings in flight.

I wonder if the gasser will have the power you need.

Here is a photo, as received via Greyhound Bus from TN to CA.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	42555_21947.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	26535  
Old 12-23-2002, 05:07 PM
visioneer_one

Do the "E D G E 5 4 0" decals on the wing and fuse come pre-applied?
Old 12-23-2002, 08:14 PM
GVeasey

I believe so. I don't think the fellow that assembled it did it.

You can ask Creek Hobbies directly.
Old 12-26-2002, 03:18 AM
chris100

The Decals are not pre applied. I have one of these and cant wait to get it flying.
Old 12-27-2002, 03:33 AM
tocflyr540

how about the katana
at least it would be somethin different than all of the others and it looks like it would fly well
i have never flown any of the creek stuff but it looks nice
Old 12-27-2002, 06:09 AM
Post Hole

Yes, I have looked at the Katana and was verrrry tempted. It is unique looking, but I have heard it excels at 3d but is so-so for precision. Anyone heard differently?
Old 12-27-2002, 04:30 PM
visioneer_one

Default info.

I also have a Katana here, in the box. I was very impressed with the construction of the plane and the packaging. This one will also be powered with a small gasser - an FPE 2.4. It will fly sometime in 2003, when I find some time to assemble my (growing!) backlog of ARFs

Jim Eble of Creek described the handling characteristics of all their planes a while ago.

Here's a repost. Edited for clarity, not content.

Hi DKjens,

Sorry fro the delay in my response. I did not pick this up until now. In response to your questions, I will do my best to answer all of your questions.

First of all, you have a great motor there in the YS 1.40. That engine will provide an excellent power source for this plane. You would be happy with this setup in any of the five planes that we have to offer.

Now, in response to your quest for the best 3D plane. This is a tough one to answer. Each of the planes have their own unique characteristics that make them perform a little differently than each other. I have personally flown each of them, so I have concluded the following opinions.....

Starting with the Katana: The Katana is a very interesting airplane. This plane seems to have a little of everything. With the proper power, as in your case, this plane has unlimited 3D capabilities. When I have a day available to go out and fly, I tend to lean towards flying this one.

Flight Characteristics: Slow flight is very slow and predictable. You can pull the nose up on this model to enter a stall, and the plane always drops it's nose and stalls "flat". It harriers well. It does have a little "wing wag", I usually can eliminate this by pulling the nose up a little higher and adding a little more power. I have experienced with a little reflex, and that does help. I do prefer to perform this manuver without the aid of this function. Hovering is not a problem.

This is a good all around plane that gives you the flexibility of flying conventionally, aerobatically (IMAC), or 3D.

The Sukhoi: The Sukhoi is a great tumbler. The shorter coupled fuselage increases the tumbling effectiveness. This is probually our best tumbler. Slow speed characteristics are good. It flies just as slow as the Katana, and is very stable. If I had to compare the two, I would say that the Katana is a marginally better that the Sukhoi in the harrier. The Katana definately is a better precision flyer.

The Extra: The Extra is very comparable to the Katana. I like to fly the Extra as well. We really increased the control surface area on the horizontal stab of this plane. It has just about the same slow speed characteristics as the Katana. I compare the Katana and the Extra to be almost equal.

The Staudacher & the Edge: In my opinion, I recommend these planes to customers that are looking for really good precision flyers. They fly precision extremely well. They do 3D well as well, but the Katana, Sukhoi, and the Extra are noticably better.

The Saito 1.80 is definately the most popular selection for power. We sell many combo deals with this motor. It is an economical alternative, and actually provides plenty of power to perform all of the 3D manuvers. In a hover, you can ounch the throttle and the plane will accelerate vertically.

Presently, the control surfaces are not double beveled. We really do not believe that this is necessary on these models. However, there have been many requests for us to make this change. So, in the next run, we are going to implement this change.

In regards to the hinges......we provide CA type hinges with the hardware package. We have used them, as well as all of the stock hardware on all of our prototypes. We have not had any failures, and we do have many flights on these models. Many customers elect to upgrade the hardware package. Since the control surfaces are not pre-slotted, you can install the hinges of your choice. We do offer an upgraded hardware package that includes Robart hinges, Nelson (previously Rocket City) control horns, 4-40 threaded rods, Nelson Ball links, Aluminum Servo Arms, Aluminum fuel dots, and a few other misc. pieces.

I hope that I have answered all of your questions. I tried to keep this as short as possible. I can go into much further detail if you want, just email me at [email protected], and I will continue this conversation with you. Thanks again for your interest. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.

Until Next Time........

Jim

Mount Laurel, NJ 08054
856-722-0489
www.creekhobbies.com
[email protected]
Old 12-28-2002, 06:53 AM
Post Hole

Thanks Visioneer, lots of good info here!
Old 01-01-2003, 11:20 PM
GVeasey

Heads up! The builder (assembler) of my Creek Hobbies Edge 540 has another one for sale on eBay. I am very pleased with his workmanship and the shipping. Auction ends in about 6 hours. See:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...102455703&rd=1
Old 01-05-2003, 04:07 AM
joebob
My Feedback: (14)

I don't have much experience with ARFs yet. I've only put one together - a DP Ultimate 1.20. I thought they did a really nice job with it. Just traded it for a Creek Hobbies Staudacher (Thanks Capt. Charlie) and I must say, at first glance, this thing is beautiful. The instructions are really bad, one of those direct translation problems, but it looks easy enough that that shouldn't be a problem. If this thing flies as good as it looks, it's gonna be a blast.
Old 01-05-2003, 03:29 PM
GVeasey

My landing gear broke in two places, where the horizontal portion transitions to the legs on my Edge's second flight. I didn't think the landing was that hard. Creek Hobbies (George) sez it was very unusual and he didn't think the fiberglass was weak. I will try to grease them on with the replacement when it arrives. Meanwhile, Im investigating metal alternatives.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:06 PM
TooLy

Default super tigre engine?

is this a good combination of the super tigre 3250 ( 198 engine size) on the gsp/creek hobbies edge 540 with the 3 blade 16x8?
it's not to heavy?
Old 01-05-2003, 09:37 PM
joebob

The LG on the Staudacher has a reinforcement rib at the bend of the gear. It looks plenty strong. Did the Edge have this, too?
Old 01-06-2003, 12:04 AM
GVeasey

Yes. The breaks were just above the reinforcing rib. Probably the same landing gear.
Old 01-17-2003, 04:33 AM
GVeasey

Got replacement LG from Creek and had third flight. Made smooth landing so no problem this time.

Unfortunately, noted top of firewall separating from fuse and along right side. Initial inspection shows lack of glue and poor fit of triangular gusset stock aft of firewall. Will make a more thorough autopsy when I open up the area. Will take digital photos as this is, in my view, a serious flaw in the quality of construction... and one that is not detectable by visual inspection.

I felt it necessary to make this post, since I gave a glowing report of the workmanship earlier.

Heads up!

Guy
Old 01-20-2003, 09:39 PM
joebob

Default Staudacher questions....

To anyone flying the Staudacher---

With the OS 1.60, did you have to cut any more openings in the cowl other than the ones already there to help with cooling? I was very pleased to find out I didn't have to cut a hole for the cylinder head to stick out, and only a small square on the bottom for the muffler pipes. But, I wanted to make sure there was going to be enough cooling air with this configuration.....
Old 01-27-2003, 03:51 AM
h82crash

The rule of thumb is the exit has to be at least 3x the intake for proper airflow for cooling. I usually cut a big half circle at the rear of the cowl bottom.
Old 02-10-2003, 05:46 AM
meeko

hi all!!!

is Edge540 by GSA with os120 w/pump
will do a good 3d?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.