Community
Search
Notices
IRC Racing Support The online retailer for many of your r/c products is available to support RCU members. Click here if you need their help or have a question for them. Hosting this forum will be RADICALJ, RC-BOSS, MINDCRIME and REDCATRACING1.

HELP! Photon Diff Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:42 AM
RC-BOSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HELP! Photon Diff Problems

Hobby shops are not permitted to sell this item on eBay. Of course, private individuals can sell them on eBay after purchasing them from a hobby shop.

You are correct, there is no warranty because eBay is not an authorized dealer of IRC Racing Products.
Old 04-03-2007, 09:27 AM
vzereeys

I see I see. Thanks for the help. Also, I found out what the problem was. The screw attached to the gear # 30993 was loose causing it to become unstable during acceleration. So right now I'm using the front diff gears and just running 2wd. Thanks again for the info.
Old 04-03-2007, 06:12 PM
RADAR G-Man

Thanks again for clearing that up RC-Boss. The manual is incorrect. O.K., the diffs are metal. Now we can go from there.

Are you guys talking about the same thing, or am I just confused? I though vzereeys was talking about the drive gear INSIDE the diff, and the spur gear INSIDE the diff. Am I wrong? MY problem was the alignment between the pinion gear (on the motor shaft) and the main spur gear (on the drive shaft) OUTSIDE the diff. which is O.K. now.

From what I can understand, nobody is having a pinion/main spur gear issue at this time. The problem (as I understand it) is the rear diff "Drive Gear" #32004 (correct me if I'm wrong) is history. The rear diff "Spur Gear" #32009 is probably bad also. At least that's what I thought he said.

Well, I guess that's the chance you take buying one from E-Bay. But I don't think what you need is too expensive. As I said before, I just hope that this does not become an ongoing issue with these. Only time will tell.

Now I HAVE to get on the stick and drive this darn thing so I can see how it's going to do over time. I still only have one battery through it!!!

Good luck,
HOOT

Edited:

That's really great vzereeys! I'm glad that it's not the gears inside the diff. That should be a cheap fix and gives me hope for the future.

Good luck.
HOOT

Old 04-13-2007, 07:47 AM
skylinemonster

Hi,

I brought a Photon and it sounds like your having the same problem as me.

basicly when i drove it something was slipping and it didnt have much power. the spur and pinion were both fine.

I opened up the rear gear box and i can see where the problem is but cant figure out how to fix it.

The three small gears that sit in the main gear come out of there sockets too easily so the difff does not do what it is ment to do. it seems as though the diff needs to be tighter together to sort this out. i cant see where i could put shims to sort this out.

everytime i put the diff all back together properly they just come straight back out when i drive it.

I realy need some help on this ive only had it going for 3 mins.

RC BOSS any ides?
Old 04-13-2007, 09:42 AM
RC-BOSS

Dear Skylinemonster,
I am sending you a PM.
Thanks..
Old 04-13-2007, 10:37 AM
RC-BOSS

Dear Skylinemonster,
Thank you for your reply to my PM. I will attempt to answer your question the best I can.

It sounds as though there is a problem with the differential. All the gears and parts inside the differential should be tight. Of course, they will loosen and wear out over usage of the Photon. There are many factors that affect how long the differential gears or diff case will last. Especially if someone constantly bangs into things. This car is very, very fast and no matter how well it is built, something has to go if constantly crashed. In no way am I implying that the car has been crashed or abused. I like to answer questions in generalities because this is a support forum and hopefully other people will read this and benefit from the answers.

Also, like the manual states, never place the Mamba in "Extreme" mode because the Photon, even though well built, can not handle that amount of torque produced by the HiMax motor. Remember, at 40mph that is equivalent to 600mph to scale!

If you look at the gears inside the differential and they show very little wear and you don't find any little metal pieces then the culprit is probably the differential housing. For some reason, the gears are not sitting tight inside the housing which is causing them to move out of alignment which could be producing a "stripping" or "buzzing" sound when the car is operated. At this point, if the diff housing is the problem, you can not repair them. They must be replaced because they are probably already worn out or warped in the crucial areas that support the gears.

If you inspect the metal gears inside the differential and they appear worn, stripped or have broken teeth then it is obvious the gears need to be replaced.Even if they look like they are good and you find tiny pieces of metal in the diff housing they still need to be replaced.

My personal opinion, if it were my vehicle, would be to replace the entire differential. The cost is not excessive and for a few dollar difference I would not putz around with trying to repair the differential. If the diff was expensive I would say try to fix it but quite frankly, I don't think it's worth it.

One other final note. You said the item was new and lasted a short time. Obviously I can not determine whether it was a defective differential out of the factory or not without physically seeing the differential and the rest of the car. No matter how much quality control "QC" you put the product through, it is always possible to have a defective part. Alot of people drive these cars very, very hard to see how far they can go with it. So, IRC is going to try to "beef up" the differential even though there is nothing wrong with the diff supplied.

I hope I answered your question and happy modeling!
Old 04-13-2007, 10:43 AM
skylinemonster

Thanks,

I will have another look when i get home and look for any wear or missing teeth.

Where can i order a new front and rear diff from that can be delivered to the UK?

Cant wait to get it running properly as the first few minutes were great. ive never seen an rc car so quick.

Ben
Old 04-13-2007, 11:12 AM
RC-BOSS

Well,
You should be able to purchase parts from any IRC Racing dealer in the USA for the Photon. There has not yet been deliveries of the Photon to other international distributors yet even though there are quite a few around the world that distribute our other products.

Or, you can go to the IRC Racing web store, Internet-RC, which is www.internet-rc.com and order them there if you have a credit card.
Old 04-13-2007, 11:23 AM
vzereeys

You said you were "beefing"up the differentials, how would you do that and would we be able purchase it on your site?
Thank you
Old 11-30-2007, 01:11 AM
poot77

Im thinking of getting the photon v2 for christmas,should i? is it really good? i also own the nitro vulcan and i have a mini "Draked"motor in it and i love it.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:17 AM
jonnymobil

o.k. wel i am thinking of getting a photon just because it is small and i can take it with me to work for when my boss doesnt show up for 2 hours.i want to get a brushless mini and the photon is the only one with metal diffs stock.my question to you (RC-BOSS) is are theese reliable or will i have problems with it?i can only afford one mini ,but i can afford the time to set things up right as far as diffs go.also does it have a slipper clutch or is one avalable?also what about a metal spur gear? and if i wanted to order some parts where would i order them from? the car seems to be a great deal for the cash i will have to spend and things look stout but i have heard alot of bad reviews on things breaking right away.i probly wont even use the lipo,just run some nickle packs cus there cheap,but i dont want to break it all the time.i will be using it stricky on road.oh yea is there a 1/10 wheel hex conversion avalable or will one from annother mini work so i can run nice on road tires?
well hopefully you can answer a few of my questions.thanks alot,this website rocks!