Community
Search
Notices
IRC Racing Support The online retailer for many of your r/c products is available to support RCU members. Click here if you need their help or have a question for them. Hosting this forum will be RADICALJ, RC-BOSS, MINDCRIME and REDCATRACING1.

vulcan 1/8 nitro car problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: vulcan 1/8 nitro car problem

Well....I am running shnort on ideas. I think if I were you, I'd remove the air-filter and put a a coujple drops of fuel down the carb and see if the enigne fires. If it does, then you know the engine is working and the carb seems to be holding back the fuel. Second, and I know you probably dont' want to do this with a new carb, but I'd take the carb apart and look for foriegn debris inside (from the manufacturing process). Clean it well as fuel may be starting to congeal in there from what little you got into it. Try to understand how the carb works and see if the current adjustments to the needles are permitting fuel to flow through.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:51 PM
premvijay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dear Pal sorry for being such a pain in the neck, i think i do have to open up the carb and check what actually is wrong, as the vendor from whom i got the vehicle says there is no gurantee for RC items, so it will be my testing field for future references to Nitro cars if i open and check the whole thing out., thanks for all ur advises from the very beginnng, will get back to u after i dismantle clean the carb etc and reinstall it back.regards
Old 02-14-2010, 08:51 AM
etivac13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=barlCWm8FIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xruo...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sjtl...eature=channel

check these engine tuning videos.. it's an acme nb16..but is exactly the same as the irc vulcan...
Old 02-14-2010, 01:12 PM
premvijay

thanks for the links will try them out, regards
Old 02-14-2010, 02:34 PM
Argess

Those videos were very good. Great narration, especially the second one. And I think that young fellow is only 12 years old!
Old 03-05-2010, 01:45 PM
Argess

It's been a while now. Do you have an update for us?
Old 03-05-2010, 03:02 PM
premvijay

i have done everything as described in the video by the kid but no results i think i will put it up for sale as junk, i have wasted nearly two months trying to figure out the problems and tried everything i could , all thanks to u guys but the bugger wont start at all. i will think thrice before buying vulcan rc's in the future. Have got myself one MT2 of HPI, infact it just arrived yesterday i will be having a look at it tonight.thanks guys and cheers
Old 03-05-2010, 04:37 PM
Argess

That's too bad. Don't thow it out quite yet. I'm sure you'll have much better luck with the HPI, and once you do, you might get renewed interest (plus confidence and experience)in trying to get the vulcan going. I know mine was not nice to get started until I had it broken in and tuned.....finickity little engine!
Old 03-09-2010, 08:01 AM
etivac13

they are really very hard to tune...i'm selling mine also...
Old 03-18-2010, 12:24 PM
Argess

Oh Wow! I just had the same problem. Havn't used mine since last fall, and today I couldn't get fuel to flow up the line to the carb while holding my finger over the muffler.

I disconnected teh tube from the muffler and blew in the end. Seemed to take a lot of pressure, but fuel went up the line. Started it up and it was fine.

Not sure what the problem was. I think maybe the tank stone filter or carb may have been a little gummed up from sitting.

Yes, Etivac13, the tuning can be touchy, but it's not that hard once you get close. Not really a vehicle for off-road, I find most fun on pavement. Had a blast today. Cool to hear it shift.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 AM
etivac13

still thinking of converting it to BL or just sell it...
Old 03-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Argess

I find it a novelty vehicle. Fun to tinker with, but it's not a serious performer, although it's fun on pavement. Not really a good choice for a beginner either. As you said, fussy little engine. I like mine though. Makes me laugh to see it in action and when it shifts to second, I almost forget what to do next as I'm laughing even harder. And that's what it is.....fun when it runs, challenging to tinker with.

I guess you could convert to electric, but I'd keep it on pavement or hard packed dirt regardless.
Old 04-02-2010, 03:44 AM
etivac13

here's my vulcan SE with truggy tires/wheels and .06 engine...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46910.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	1409936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95454.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	131.9 KB
ID:	1409937  
Old 07-01-2010, 08:07 PM
GNO4U

Sweet I like what you did. Did you get the hardened steel clutch bell and spur gear combo yet from gotnitro.com? We have all parts and hopups for the 1/16th scale buggies. Most of the Vulcan parts also fit the Trinity NEXT buggy and Team VTX buggy. Give us a try FREE shipping in the US. Best Prices Best service.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:37 PM
KenUDoThis

Hey Premvijay,

If you're still around, you should try finding a friend who knows nitro engines to take a look and try to get it started (and maybe help you with breaking it in). Sometimes just having someone there who knows engines can solve the problem in 5 minutes compared to dozens of postings and such. You can also go back to the vendor and ask them to start the engine or for references...hobby store vendors and nitro people are usually quite open to helping someone out who is not familiar.

One old trick I learned (from decades of playing with nitro engines) which I don't really see much anymore is to remove the air filter and cover the carb opening with your finger, then crank the engine over a few turns...this creates much more suction than the covering the muffler method and also can tell you if it is actually something happening between the fuel tank and carb. If no fuel goes through, try using a spare piece of fuel line, connecting one end to the carb and the loose end directly into the tank through the top to see if it is the tank or the carb.

Good luck!