Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet
Reload this Page >

Cheetah cooldown starts too soon

Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Cheetah cooldown starts too soon

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 02:17 PM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Cheetah cooldown starts too soon

As the title suggests, when I plug in the power for the ECU and turbine the turbine immediately starts the cooldown cycle and will not shut off unless the battery is disconnected.
I'm going out on a limb here and supposing the ECU has given it up.
This is an old but previously run turbine in its original install. It has just sat for too long I guess.
If it is indeed the ECU that needs to be replaced, where can I get one, or is this a repair shop only activity so who do I call?
John
Old 06-21-2023, 08:23 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Take a look at the temperature when you plug the batt, if it’s high, that is a clue to what’s wrong with it, you are looking for ambient temperature ( 15-17 degrees C* )
Old 06-21-2023, 09:21 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Check your wiring. There are two identical plugs in the wiring harness and if you plug them into the wrong place it will do what you describe. This happened to a friend.
It might be the connection to the ECU and to the pump that are identical, but I'm not sure. Check it against the manual.

Jet Central should have made the harness idiot proof, but they didn't.
Old 06-21-2023, 09:54 AM
john491

This is a setup which I have already flown, it's just sat for too long, so I know the wiring is correct. Or at least correct enough for flight.
Carlos, The handheld data unit says 24 C, 8500 rpm, cooling. This is from a stick down (and no activation from the throttle), trim down, transmitter safety switch at off. The starter engages immediately as the power is plugged in.
Only thing I can think of is the ECU being messed up in some fashion.
John
Old 06-21-2023, 10:13 AM
joeflyer
My Feedback: (48)

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Your throttle could be reversed. You can check the throttle input with your HDT. If there's any doubt relearn the TX to ECU.
Also it wouldn't cost anything to double check the wiring. You'd be surprised what can go wrong "just sitting".
Old 06-22-2023, 07:48 AM
CARS II

The temp is normal for you location, 24*C = 75* F, I saw 85* around noon today in your area.

Last edited by CARS II; 06-22-2023 at 07:51 AM.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:23 AM
john491

I want to thank both of you for encouraging me to take a second look at things I KNEW were correct. The short of it I will be test firing the turbine this afternoon to confirm I actually have it fixed.
I ended up unplugging and reattaching all of the wires to make sure they were making good contact. I also reversed the throttle several times and relearned the transmitter each time. At the end of which the response in the starting sequence appears to be correct now. I was clued by my trans shutoff switch. Throttle position had no effect on the turbine being in cooldown, but turning the emergency shutoff switch to the run position caused the turbine to leave cooldown mode. After a few hours of playing around with the wires I got it to start a normal sequence, but as it was 10 PM and in my living room I aborted the start sequence to be tried today outside.
I have no idea of what I finally did to accomplish this, and everything is in its original position including all wire leads, but I'm hopeful it will work.
Again, Thank You.
I can be a little stubborn at times but I'm hopefully getting over it. Will post here if everything starts this afternoon.
John
Old 06-22-2023, 04:31 PM
john491

It all now works. I ran it for about 5 minutes, enough to really heat up.
It still has something wonky with the transmitter cut-off, but I think I know what it might be. I will have to test it again tomorrow to see if I am correct.
John
Old 06-27-2023, 12:38 PM
CARS II

Congrats on your success 😃