Community
Search
Notices
Jet Central Turbines - Artes Jet Jet Central Turbines formerly the Artes Jet forum

Couldn't get bee to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Couldn't get bee to start

I have not been able to speak to Eric on the phone yet to get clarification of the liquid/gas question. I called him a couple times and he called my house the other day when I was at the field.

I built a non-regulated propane valve to use, but have not had the chance to test it yet. As mentioned above, it started fine off powermax though.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:43 PM
My Feedback: (44)

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Look at post #26 of this thread...you will never want to use a regulated valve or powermax again.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_63..._2/key_/tm.htm

If my engine doesn't off the first time with this set up I know either my battery need charged or my pressure is low

p.s. Eric is selling a version of this valve without the gauge.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:49 PM

Thanks.

This is the one I made the other night. No guage - that is a nice touch.

It should work fine, but I just haven't had the chance to test it.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	xu62782.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	551.6 KB
ID:	1318952  
Old 11-22-2009, 10:13 PM
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Socomon,

What no JB Weld? NO POSSIBLE WAY IT COULD WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well OK, it looks pretty darned funcional.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:34 AM

Interesting story there.

I bought parts to make two of these. One for me and one for my buddy. I did the one in the picture first. To my surprise, the threads fully engaged. Perfectly tight (two wrench tight). When I did the second one, the threads would not engage. So, now I am suspicious of this one, even though it seemed to be threaded perfect. I am planning to go back and JB weld it. My buddy already had some JB Weld on-hand, so it was no big deal for him to glue the other one up.
Old 11-23-2009, 12:28 PM
My Feedback: (134)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well I was really only kidding about not using the JB weld. I had to but who knows on yours. The one you have pictured looks good. I think I would plug it into your system and turn it on with the propane solinod off and then leak test it with soapy water. It may have grabbed enough threads to work. If not, you can always back off and use the JB to make a better seal.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:54 PM
My Feedback: (67)

What I do is take the sput off from the valve (it's a **** to remove it, but it can be done). I then take some brass tubing that fits snug into the propane line. After that, I cut me a piece about 3 inches in length. I drill out the tiny little orfice (sp?) and knock out all that stuff in the spout. I solder the tube to the neck. I then attach the tube onto the brass tube, and then she is done. Works awesome everytime.

I will post pic when I get a chance.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: carcraze

Socomon

Did you use the onboard tank or did you feed directly to the gas soleniod like I do when starting? If you fed direct then you fed liquid which could explain the much lower start gas number compared to propane as feeding propane direct to the gas solenoid right side up will yield gas where as feeding powermax direct tot he solenoid right side up will yield liquid.

I know (right or wrong) I am feeding liquid propane holding it inverted direct to the solenoid without the onboard can. I am just worried I am doing things wrong mind you the results are great LOL.

Mat
Matt, The LAST thing you want is liquid to the engine. That would be very bad, If your having great results gas must be reaching the engine. The Powermax cylinder has a clunk which is why some turn the can upside down (I never did). I have my doubts if pure liquid could make it back there anyway, It would vaporize as soon as a pressure change was available, Maybe after the restrictor, solonoid or after entering the engine..

Every once in a while I would get a heavy mist through the gas line on start up. The turbine responded by growling, short very intense blue flame and spike in EGT. Not good.

Pete
Old 11-24-2009, 06:43 AM

Well last night I just could not help myself as my inquiring mind wanted to know as I have a clear tube to the solenoid and I could see I had full liquid to the soleenoid. Since I do not plan on using the onboard tank I took the bottom off and it does not have a dip tube so the system with on board is gas feed to the solenoid. Mind you my solenoid is right up front and I am pretty sure once the liquid is on the turbine side of the solenoid it would be changing to gas pretty quick as I doubt the restrictor can keep it under pressure to stop the propane from going to a gas state as Pete737 is saying. My next question will be does the same gas setting I have been running still start it with the propane vertical, that could explain why I went to such a low gas % for a smooth start up as at 10% it seemed like too much propane with a slight flame during start.

My turbine never growls and starts first time every time since I dialed in the start parameters , EGT temps look good but I don't have the experiance to know what the temp ramp should be.

When I get a chance I will try to see how much % it takes feeding gas to the soleniod for the same starts.

Mat
Old 11-25-2009, 01:47 PM

I just tried to start it again with the unregulated propane head with the gas at settings of 40, 60, 80 & 100%.

No start.

So far the only successful starts have been on Powermax.
Old 11-25-2009, 03:59 PM
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Try starting with a lower setting like 5 and working your way up. The engine also will not light if you have too much propane and that is easy to do with the unregulated valve. Did you check the flow of your new valve after you built it. I had a buddy make the same valve and some solder plugged the hole and he was getting nothing.

George
Old 11-25-2009, 04:15 PM

I spoke to Eric on the phone and he gave me a few things to work through, which I am in the process of doing. He did mention the possibility of the gas being too high now as well. In the process of working though the steps Eric gave me, I did discover that the unregulated valve I made was leaking despite the threads having engaged, so I just JB welded it and will give that a chance to cure. That alone may account for the problem. I also moved the restrictor closer to the turbine and blew it out.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:47 AM

One more try this morning with the propane valve JB welded - no leaks. Still no joy. I will have to discuss further with Eric after the holiday. He mentioned the possibility of an internal festo fitting being damaged.

Happy thanksgiving to all.
Old 11-26-2009, 04:56 PM

well, there should not be anything wrong with the turbine as it just came back from the factory and has not been started. Hopefully it's something simple.

Old 11-26-2009, 06:29 PM

If I understood him right, he said some internal festo fitting could melt from too many bad starts, but I may have misunderstood.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:51 PM

would not melt if it never ignited!
Old 11-26-2009, 07:59 PM

Yeah - I probably didn't quite follow what he was saying.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 PM

did you turn the gas all the way down to around 10 or 15? What type glow plug are you running?

Old 11-26-2009, 09:17 PM

The plug is a Mcoy #9. I think 15 was the lowest I had the gas%.
Old 11-26-2009, 09:37 PM

Forgive me if this has already been said but what kind of gas/tank are you using? Do you have control of the administering?
Old 11-27-2009, 08:49 AM
My Feedback: (10)

Socomon:

What I shared with you was this:

If the start gas system (all components; gas line, Festo's etc.) is compromised in any way, a pressure leak may occur. This lets the combustion chamber heat (you ran turbine two times) due to loss of gas line pressure, travel back through the gas line system toward the solenoid. The heat and fire from the combustion chamber can and in most all cases, damage the 90 degree Festo fitting which is mounted under the front cover. This could happen if the gas line is not cut square, not inserted completely etc. at each connection from turbine back to and including the solenoid. Further, if the one way check valve is accidentally removed from the line to the solenoid, or is installed in reverse, this condition can occur.

As I said, check all lines and connections. Try PowerMax again. If it starts on PowerMax, I can only assume you have a stale can of Propane. I am available for calls Saturday during the day.

Regards,
Eric

Did you perform the glow plug test as I instructed while we were on the phone ? Results ?

Last, you can send the Bee, fuel pump, ECU, glow plug harness and gas solenoid to me here in Florida. I will bench run and set up to run on propane.
Old 11-27-2009, 09:08 AM

Hi Eric:

Yup - I was not quite there on my understanding of the festo thing.

I did the glow plug test and it had a nice glow to it the whole way around the element.

I moved the restrictor to the turbine side as you instructed. Does the retsrictor have a proper direction? It looked like the two ends of it are different, one end is open and the other end is, well . . . restricted. I placed the restricted looking end toward the turbine.

I will start it up on Powermax again today or tomorrow and verify that it starts properly again.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:24 PM
My Feedback: (4)

ORIGINAL: Socomon

Thanks.

This is the one I made the other night. No guage - that is a nice touch.

It should work fine, but I just haven't had the chance to test it.

Steve
I just made the same thing. I was starting my Rhino for the first time today well second time sort of. I was using the valve from dreamworks and I was 100% gas and still could not get to fuel ramp. So ran down to the hardware store and picked up some fittings. I did have to drill the orfice on the torch tip 5/64" I believe. If I did not drill it out it would not start even wide open.

Once I had the new valve on I lowered my gas back to 15% and started the processs all over again. My gas is now 35% and goes to fuel ramp no problem...If I go lower it will not go. So I am happy with that setting for now.
I also have the ceramic plug and let me tell you what a difference it makes. The Rhino lit on 10% gas with no problem at all. I can not do that with my Falcon .I am using McCoy#9 on that for now. Over the winter I will get the plug for that.

This was the first time the rhino has been started since I got it from Eric in Oct.. OMG what a beast this engine is !!!!! Cant wait to fly it now. hahha
Old 11-28-2009, 02:29 PM

Pete:

Interesting you (sort of) went through the same thing - though sounds like yours is dialed in now. I think I drilled the orafice just slightly larger (next bit up). I am going to try again tomorrow with the powermax as I am having zero luck on propane.

I would like to get the ceramic plug, but so far they don't seem to be back in stock.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:48 PM

SUCCESS!!

After reading Pete's post, I figured I had to try one more time. I swapped to yet another propane bottle and this time I dialed the gas all the way down to 10%. It was also pointed into a bit of a headwind. This time it lit right off.

At this point I am not sure if it is the gas bottle or taking the gas down farther that made the difference. I will experiment a bit more tommorow.

Steve

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.