Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

JC Fuel Filter Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2013, 09:47 AM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default JC Fuel Filter Cleaning

Hello ,

What and how do you clean an in-line Jet Cat aluminum cannister type fuel filter. Doing my pre-season fuel line checks, I fill there is an excess amount of resistance when blowing air through it compared to a new one I have.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Bravo77

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JC Fuel Filter Cleaning

The way I clean my Filters is by running some fuel in the opposite direction . You can also open the filter and check the screen and clean that way as well . If you can open it it is the best way . And if all fails just buy a new one . but generally it is quite easy .If you have any other ? please let me know

thanks and good luck
Paul
Old 04-04-2013, 01:03 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Open it up and clean the filter.  Then you'll know how much crud you have.  Lube the threads when you put it back together.  If you see a significant about of stuff, you might want to take a good look at the bag in your UAT.  If its also looking bad, you can replace it for under $10 with a FS-3 Fuel Strainer from Auto Zone.  You will need to cut it to match the one in the UAT.  If you're getting clean fuel into the airplane, both should be ok for hundreds of flights without cleaning or replacing.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:51 PM
rc4flying
My Feedback: (21)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Guys,

The thing is, I have opened it up. I am not new to fuel filters, but I am to Kerosene usage in these filters. There is no particle type crud of any kind. I filter my fuels pretty well. But there just seems to be a coating on the filters screen. I can not scrape it off with anything being noticed, but there seems to be a noticable resistance when blowing through it.
I was hoping there is something to help disolve the coating.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would just replace it.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:36 PM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If its a brown coating its an alge that feeds on the Kero and exists in the water under the Kero, this is generally caused by not draining the system when storing it and condensation forms a water bottom under the kero, all alge will dissolve with a good soaking in chlorine, for want of a better word try bleach, it will leave a white residue on the bottom of the bowl, which is the alge combined with the chlorine, as already suggested check the rest of your installation as well especially if you use one of those bag UAT's.

Mike
Old 04-04-2013, 08:04 PM
Dreddi
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're getting concerned about bacteria (which makes fuel a white cloudy) or fungus (which forms mats of black-ish goo) use BioBor. Can get it at NAPA Auto Parts stores as a diesel fuel additive. Its what we use in "real" aircraft if there becomes in issue or is detected during a fuel contamination test.

I also STRONGLY urge people to NOT put any form of chlorine into their fuel systems. Chlorine is EXTREMELY corrosive and you will need to flush the system out with water very thoroughly to remove any residue. And is the last thing you want to end-up in your engines fuel plumbing.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:45 AM
BaldEagel

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did not for one moment expect anyone to put chlorine into the fuel system, but to just soak whatever is contaminated in the chlorine, but your point is well taken about thoroughly rinsing after using it.

Mike