Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

P120sx inter.kero start problem

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

P120sx inter.kero start problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 02:17 PM
SACKRC
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P120sx inter.kero start problem

Had problems starting a 120 sx internal kero start . Switched to propane start , plug lites on test and start, but propane will not ignite to start and just times out. You can see the kero element when plug is out of hole.
Is that getting in the way.
From the on start it did start but with difficulty . So decide to try propane.
Apprec any in put thanks rich barile
Old 10-25-2018, 10:53 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

120 SX has an internal Kero burner. If it has checker on the front cover it’s an SE.
So to help we need to know what you have. How it’s Plummed from the pump

Dave
Old 10-25-2018, 01:27 PM
SACKRC

Well , it has checkers on the front cover, but ecu states SX. When i went to propane , I disconnect kero from valve, prop. valve is separate and prop. only.
I even tried straight prop. to the turbine with no valve. also checked to see if it was clogged seem good ( i have another 120 about the same ), does not seem to be clogged. The turbine only has about 30mins on it ,
You can see the cond. is excellent front fan is still like chrome.

Oh Ive read that some guys use colman prop/butane. Im using straight propane, does the coleman mix work better. didnt think so , butane is not
that good??
yes or no ?
Old 10-27-2018, 08:16 AM
p-40lover

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

l have found that some jetcats wont start on just propane..l even find that some of the mixes dont start my three engine..but l have had good luck with the woods an power max fuels
Old 10-27-2018, 12:09 PM
Dave Wilshere

If it is an SX...sounds right it is a kero start turbine and will not start on gas!
Pump should be Y'd through both the valves (yes one plugs in to a connection on the V6 ECU still marked propane.Make sure ECU is set to Kero start.

Prime both lines in test functions and off you go

Dave
Old 10-29-2018, 06:31 AM
SACKRC

I know it wont start on propane, but on a diffierent post it stated it was posible to use propane with success.. I tryed it and it wont work with propane.
Any reason for that.. the kero take very long and drains my batteries quickly ?? rich b.
Old 10-29-2018, 08:52 AM
Dave Wilshere

It’s not designed to work with gas. On a gas start turbine the gas is passed over a glow plug element.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:22 AM
SACKRC

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
It’s not designed to work with gas. On a gas start turbine the gas is passed over a glow plug element.
When back to kero with more mill amps (6000 starts better but not as quick as my p120 on propane and still times out ocassionally
thanks for all your help ...
Old 11-01-2018, 09:39 AM
Dave Wilshere

Kero start will never be as fast, it’s part of the idea, the turbine innards are not shocked with heat.
On the GSU press and hold Limits, then press + and let go. It’s should say Url1. Press and hold the change value button and press + three times.
Press run and try it next time you can

Dave