Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

smoke system pressurized or pump?

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

smoke system pressurized or pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:43 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default smoke system pressurized or pump?

Hello there,

I am wondering which system to use to produce smoke on my next jet project. although the jetcat or Tam smoke systems seem to be very popular, I wonder why not many people are not using the pressurized system which can be operated on jetcat turbines through Aux channel/smoker valve.
Would appreciate receiving points of view on the above as well as major advantages/disadvantages for both systems.
Thanks. Dany
Old 05-22-2006, 09:53 AM
seanreit
My Feedback: (60)

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: smoke system pressurized or pump?

There is nothing wrong with the pressurized system, you just need to be sure that you have a smoke tank on board that can handle the pressure (IE at or around 40 PSI). A typical sulivan tank or kevlar tank can not hold that so you will need a metal can of some sort, like a converted powermax can.

Otherwise, pumped is the way to go.

Resultant smoke from both in my experiance is the same.
Old 05-23-2006, 12:23 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Dany,

The pressure system needs a strong tank, Tam used to sell a converted PowerMax can that could take the pressue. Any retract airtank could, but the fittings are small. As long as you find a good strong container the pressure system works fine.

A nice bonus feature is that the JetCat ECU can also use the smoke to send a coded smoke message if your battery is low or if your fuel is running low or if you have a failsafe in the air.

Hope that helps,

Matt
Old 05-25-2006, 07:50 AM
gazza3535

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used a good quality PET bottle(coke) for my pressurised smoke system, I used to be in the drinks industry and when we were filling the bottles we used to presurise them to 80 p.s.i.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:15 AM
extra 300
My Feedback: (3)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Matt,
Thanks for your input, could you please advise size of bottle used and a few words (or pictures if available) about the fittings and setup? This would be very usefull and much appreciated.
Regards. Dany