Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

P60 Sticky Starter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P60 Sticky Starter?

Hi,

Checking my P60 over today I noticed that if the starter is spun over using the button on the i/o board it stops very quickly after the button is released. Looking closely the starter is not pulling back from the cone. Is this normal? Would it get kicked back after start up? Even after it is powered off and the turbine unplugged from the ecu it remains in contact with the cone.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:07 PM

Default RE: P60 Sticky Starter?

Roger,

I would get your ECU checked, I will tell you what happened to mine cos yours sounds the same.

My initial problem stemed from the starter sticking on and the turbine managing to reach idle, I tested the starter with the GSU and it appeared ok. Tried a few starts but the starter just wouldn't retract (a function controlled by the ECU at a specific rpm). After consulting my local Jetact dealer it was found that the part of the ECU which controls this was 'Fried' (technical term), the ECU was replaced under warranty. Tried with the new ECU but turbine wouldn't start, the 'frying' of the ECU had also fried the board on the front of the turbine, this was replaced again under warranty and now everything is ok.

One other suggestion that someone recently mentioned to me is check the starter o'ring, if this is worn the starter can initially spring out to far and get stuck on the cone. O'ring replacement is a 10minute job and is explained on this forum, somewhere.

Hope this helps

Nick

Old 10-04-2006, 01:30 PM
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Roger,

No the starter cone should release cleanly after spinning the turbine. There are home repairs you can try if you are not under warranty, otherwise you should have a local rep look at it and/or send it in.

Let me know if I can be of any further assistance, you can also call me in the US at (805) 907-4462 to discuss if you want.

Regards,

Old 10-11-2006, 07:52 AM

Matt,

Thanks for that, I have worked through a few things with Dave Wilshere on the phone, but ultimately sent it in to him!! May need a motor/bendix swop out.

Best Regards

Roger