Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

Starter motor turns like crazy

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Starter motor turns like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 10:54 AM
claudius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter motor turns like crazy

I have a really frustrated problem here,
My new jetcat 120 bought about a year ago with ECU Version 5.0.
I haven’t used it until I bought a rookie II from composite ARF few months ago.
I just finished all the plumbing and wiring according to the manual and first attempt of running yesterday.
I did aligning the ECU to my Radio 14MZ according to the manual, and then I checked if the ECU aligned.
turned on the radio and receiver, switch the AUX to the middle,
advanced the throttle to its max then the starter motor started to turn, a few seconds later I heard the sound of gas valve working.
I switch back the AUX to OFF position, the starter motor stop turning, I did not continue because I haven’t put any gas and fuel yet, but I assumed that the ECU was aligned properly with my RC system.

Today I filled up the fuel and and gas then I tried to prime the fuel line in manual mode, so I disconnect the fuel feed to the turbine.

Here is the problem began,

I switch on the TX then RX, put the throttle and trim to their minimum and AUX to OFF,
then I press MANUAL button on GSU, bring the AUX to middle position, and advance the throttle, but nothing happened.
So I bring back the throttle stick to minimum and returned the AUX to OFF, and pressed the small switch on I/O board to activate the manual mode.
When I pressed the small switch on the I/O board soon the starter motor turn to its maximum speed and won’t stop at all. I have to turn off the receiver to stop the starter motors turning.

I checked all the wiring including the color match incased of solder mistake by manufacturer but nothing was wrong.
I tried to changed the ECU battery, receiver battery, switch, glow plug, radio channel, even the receiver but still the starter motor turn right when I switch on the receiver.
The throttle stick and AUX is not working, I tried to reset the ECU and realigned according to the manual, with disconnected the wire from ECU to turbine to prevent motor turn.
But still the motor turn max speed when I plug the wire back and turn on the receiver.

The receiver is not in failsafe because other channels are working.
The ECU version 5.0, the pump and valves are working when I run in the test under other menu.
I was exited to fly the rookie with jetcat120 this weekend until the unexpected frustration came.
I almost give up and turn back to my prop airplane, hopefully you guys have any idea what was wrong.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:27 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Starter motor turns like crazy

Hello,

You said you pressed the small white switch on the I/O board to go into some "manual" mode. This switch is not used for that, only to program the ECU (Learn RC) if you do not have the GSU hooked up.

Priming the lines can be done using the Test Functions menus as explained on page 37 of the manual (the manual is available at http://www.jetcatusa.com/PDFFiles/In...al%20V5.1E.pdf )

from the JetCat manual

Test Functions

The new Test Function Menu For owners of our previous ECU, the Manual mode is no longer implemented. Instead, a new expanded set of test functions are available from the Test–Functions Menu. This menu is selected while pressing the Select Menu key, press the ◄ - or ► + key until the menu is displayed. To test the selected component, press the Change Value/Item key. To change the fuel pump or glow plug voltage when testing, while pressing the Change Value/Item key, press the ◄ - or ►+ key. The following functions are available

• Run the fuel pump with a programmable voltage. This is principally used to prime the fuel system.
• Test the glow plug and/or set the voltage.
• Test the starting gas valve.
• Test the smoker valve.
• Test the fuel valve.
• EGT offset information.
As for the starter motor spinning, make sure your transmitter antenna is partially down and not too close to the ECU. Also, you said you performed the "Learn RC" step with the power connector not attached to the turbine, and the throttle and AUX channel "did not work". I assume that means that the GSU is not display anything while you were trying this step? If not the ECU could be damaged.

It is probabaly best to talk through this with the shop. 818-781-2300

Electronic mail

Repair: [email protected]

Hope that helps,

Old 01-25-2007, 10:12 PM
claudius

I realize the operation manual came with the engine is outdated.
I bought the engine new in the box from Philip Avonds when I was in Indonesia.
The operation manual on page 22 says Manual Mode can be activated by pressing the GSU MANUAL button or by pressing the small switch on the LED I/O board.
The motor started to spin right after I press the small switch on the LED I/O board, and won't stop now, nothing can stop the motor to spin except switching off or disconnecting the batteries to ECU or wire to turbine.
The GSU display is normal except there is the F_-_ mark that I'm not sure what does it mean, the receiver is not in failsafe, the GSU also displayed normally when I was performing "Learn RC" with the power connector not attached to the turbine, you said it could damaged the ECU, I don't know. Everything is normal when you run under the test menu. You just can not perform the turbine start sequence because the motor start to spin to its maximum speed when you turn on the receiver switch, and the throttle stick or AUX switch can't stop the motor from spinning, meanwhile the GSU display normally and I can see the motor drain the battery power very fast.
is my ECU damaged? what should I do now?
Old 01-25-2007, 11:51 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a quick thought. The ecu may be seeing an eroneuos temp reading and is trying to cool the motor down. Plug in the GSU. Next, hold the sleect menu button down on the gsu and turn the model on. DO NOT RELEASE the select menu button. It will soon say release to learn rc, DO NOT RELEASE the select menu button, continue to hold it down. Soon it will read release to calibrate temp. Release the button and the temp should read 21 degrees when down. Now turn the model off and back on again, do not push any buttons. The stater motor should not spin. If it does then you will need to send it back to the shop.

Give this a try and see what you get.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:45 AM
claudius

Thank you John, I will give it a try on Sunday and get back here with the result.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:30 AM
claudius

I did exactly like said John, yes the motor is stopped now, the problem, now it is stopped forever, the motor won't spin anymore, even I after I reset and performed learn RC, I think the ECU was damaged, I better send it for a check.