Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Multiple receivers with one Tx?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:31 AM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple receivers with one Tx?

hi folks,
i'm planning things for a multi-rotor kopter and was wondering something about receivers (i'm new to 2.4 gHz but have been flying RC since '84)
after i bind the remote receiver and plug it into the multi's flight control board, can i also have a standard rx/remote on board receiving signals from the same transmitter?
some of the multi's functions can only be handled by the flight control board and i'd like to have other accessory functions run by the standard receiver (maybe a micro rx now that i think about it).
thanks!
bart
Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 AM

Default RE: Multiple receivers with one Tx?

by the way, is this an open forum or is there actually a JR rep here answering questions?
Old 11-25-2010, 10:14 AM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By Multi Rotor do you mean two sets of Rotors, one on top of the other? Which manufacturer and model are you talking about? I did a quick Google Search and I did not find a product specifically called Multi Rotor Kopter.

With JR/Spektrum 2.4, the term Remote Receiver or Satellite Receiver usually means the smaller, additional Receiver that plugs into the Main Receiver. Some Main Receivers have 2, 3, or 4 Satellite Receivers. The Satellite Receiver helps ensure that the signal is not blocked or diminished as you maneuver the aircraft.

If you are talking about multiple Main Receivers, you can Bind more than one Main Receiver to the same Tx in the same aircraft and each Main Receiver can have one or more Satellite Receivers. Actually, all the Receivers, both Main and Satellite, are Bound during the Binding Process, not just the Main Receiver.

When you turn on the Tx with the Bind Button depressed, it sends out a Unique Signature that the Receivers story in memory. As such, when you Bind, you need to be sure that All the Receivers in the aircraft are turned on, before you Bind as they all must store the exact same Unique Signature.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:24 AM

very cool and thanks for the reply!
bart
Old 11-25-2010, 10:29 AM

Thanks!!

Which helicopter do you have? Many of my fellow RC Club members are buying these easier to fly double rotor helicopters. Last night, some of them had Combat Helicopters. These Combat Helicopters could shoot a beam at each other and if one scored a hit, the other would drop to the ground. They even made machine gun noises.
Old 11-25-2010, 11:00 AM

rich,
i'm actually building an MK oktokopter II. it's an eight rotor vehicle that uses eight motors/props for control and lift.
it lends itself to a lot of different uses and i'm just trying to figure out how best to control some accessory functions. i'm new to 2.4 gHz so i'm slow to figure things out.
from what you said it sounds like i can plug two remotes into one receiver and bind them, and then remove one remote and attach it to the MK's flight control board and have control of both devices (the stock Rx and the FC board).
thanks again. that settled a big question in my head.
bart
Old 11-25-2010, 12:13 PM

I have seen videos of a wheel shaped RC device with multiple motors and propellers placed, pointing up, at points around the perimeter. Is yours a similar design? It was very maneuverable.

I am not sure what the MK Control board is that you referenced.

A JR/Spektrum receiver actually consists of multiple components, the Main Receiver and the Satellite Receivers, so when you talk about Receivers, you need to specify whether you are talking about the whole package or just one of the components

If, for example, I purchased a JR 921 receiver, it would consist of a Main Receiver Body with at least one or two Satellite Receivers, attached by wires, to ports on the side of the Main Receiver body. You cannot Bind your Tx to the Main Receiver body unless at least one Satellite Receiver was connected. If you remove one of the Satellite Receivers and plug it in to another Main Receiver Body, you would have to ReBind, again.

The Main Receiver Body is where all the servos connect as well as the Satellite (Remote) Receivers. The Satellite Receivers act more like Remote Antennas in that they just relay the signal to the Main Receiver Body, which in turn, controls the servos.

Having more than one Main Receiver Body in one aircraft does not give you any more channels, it just splits up the channels so if one Main Receiver Body goes dead, the other can still keep the aircraft under control.

For instance, if an aircraft has a servo for each Aileron half and a servo for each Elevator half, you can put one Aileron servo and one Elevator servo on one receiver and one Aileron servo and one Elevator servo on the other receiver.

Old 01-01-2011, 07:56 AM
Zor
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: barchiola

by the way, is this an open forum or is there actually a JR rep here answering questions?

barchiola,

I also thought this was supposed to be a place for someone to open a thread to ask question(s) and only a manufacturer representative was supposed to respond.

I tested that by making one posting ___see the URL on next line.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=10231371

I am still wondering who is or are the manufacturer's representative in here.

The usual world of confusion I think.

Zor

Edited by Zor to change ususal to usual
End
Old 01-01-2011, 08:01 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Spectrum/JR do not participate.

DR
Old 01-01-2011, 08:26 AM
Zor
Banned

barchiola,

For your knwledge and all readers ___

BuschBarber is a very knowledgeable fellow who responds to many postings.

He seems to have a great amount of information about JR and Spektrum radio systems as well as many other systems.

He also writes very clearly and deserve recognition for his fine efforts to help people.

I have not been able to identify anyone who obviously is a manufacturer representative.

It makes me suspicious that perhaps BuschBarber has "behind the scene" special connections with the manufacturers and they simply supply him many answers via email or otherwise and let him handle the questions.

This is ONLY a supposition or a guess possibility on my part.
I kind of need some self-satisfying mental pictures of what is going on and cannot find or guess any other situation (possibility).

While BuschBarber does not endorse my style of posting ___ nevertheless he deserves our admiraion for his gigantic effort in helping out people.

I just hope he does not respond to this posting in a negative sort of way.
I am only trying to attract attention of all readers to BuschBarber usefull contribution.

i can only wish him all the best.

Zor
Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Zor
Banned

ORIGINAL: FLPilot

Spectrum/JR do not participate.

DR
I think you are correct but then why are they listed in the headings ?

It seems in this industry that the distributors / importers are doing most if not all the business handling.

I have read that Horizon (distributor) owns Spektrum while the suspicion is that Spektrum is engineered and manufactured by JR.

You figure ____

Zor
Old 01-01-2011, 08:43 AM
My Feedback: (23)

Once up a time,

there was manufacturer support from Spektrum/Horizon.

However, this has not been the case for quite some time.

DR
Old 01-01-2011, 11:23 AM

I have never had any connections to any RC manufacturer other than a fellow club member who is a JR sponsored pilot. I use JR/Spektrum Tx's and Rx's exclusively, but that in no way makes me a factory rep. I used Futaba radios from 1978 until the JR XP9303 came out and I jumped to 2.4 using the Spektrum module. There are many fine RC Radio manufacturers that offer reliable 2.4 Tx's and Rx's as well as 3rd party companies offering Conversion modules.

There used to be an "Ask Danny" forum. Danny, from JR, would respond to any questions regarding JR products. I do not know why that forum was dissolved, but there is no longer a guaranteed JR factory support forum.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:05 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Received 361 Likes on 290 Posts

I addressed this in the other thread Zor mentioned but Danny Snyder got too busy with other projects to particpate in the forum here. It's too bad too, he's a great guy and a wealth of information.

You'll find quite a few members like BushBarber, Zeeb, and myself (among others) that respond in here because of our familiarity with the radios and systems.

Bush, to correct one minor point, you can bind the receivers individually but they must be the same speed and resoultion (preferably identical recievers) and you can bind them one at a time and they will both come up with you power them up and link. For multi reciever setups I bind one after the other.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:49 PM

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: Zor
I have read that Horizon (distributor) owns Spektrum while the suspicion is that Spektrum is engineered and manufactured by JR.
We do our own engineering at Spektrum.

Andy