Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Aileron differential problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 06:38 PM
sodbuster 1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron differential problem

I'm having a problem setting up aileron servos.

Following is the set-up: 9303 TX
9100 RX
2 Hitec 5985 servo's
2 1700ma LiFePO's powering 9100

Right servo plugged into Aileron slot
Left Aileron plugged into Aux 1 slot

Flaperon enabled
Differential is linear in both positions
Both servos set for 150% travel in either direction
Both servo's have 0 subtrim
Aileron trim is set to center
I have dual rates set up for 3 positions

Both servo's travel further in the right direction than the left from center.

I have tried re-programming the servos setting center and then setting equal amounts of end point travel in either direction.

Any ideas?

Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 PM
V2PLUS10

Default RE: Aileron differential problem

Flap trim off? Flap switch inhibited?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check A31 in the manual. Aileron Differential needs to be selected in the Function List and either the Wing Type needs to be Flapperon or the Aileron Channel needs to be Mated with the channel that the second Aileron servo is connected to.

I believe you said that you set the Wing Type to Flapperon so you just need to go to the Function List and find Aileron Differential.

If you do not need the Flap Component to be active then turn off the Flap Sys and zero out Flap Trim.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:42 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 354 Likes on 284 Posts

Unless you're actually using flapperons I'd turn it off, and use the mating function.

Why JR recommends that for dual ailerons, if you're not actually using flapperons, is a mystery to me.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sodbuster 1, A potential problem that exists with using the 9303 flaperon wing type is that with the default position settings, the 3-position activating switch (either FLAP SW or AUX2 SW) must be in the center position before setting up the servos. With the flaperon wing type and the flap channel output in DeviceSEL set to either SYS or ACT, the selected 3-position switch will give a flaperon command unless the switch is in its center position. If you set the output to INH, the switch is deactivated. This is lazy programming and the proper way to do this is to use the DUAL/MATE if you don’t want flaperons. While, this trick does work on the 12X as well, it won’t work on the 11X.

If you want flaperons, then use the SYS output but go to the FLAP SYS menu in the Function list and set up the flaperon positions before aligning your servos.

Allan

Old 12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
sodbuster 1

Allan,
Will try that. I only use the Land position on the flap switch so position 1 and 2 are set at zero.

I spoke with Horizon today and the person I spoke with didn't seem to know why it was happening.They had me do a Model Reset to clear up the issue. But I haven't ried it yet in setting the plane up.
It most definitely is in the radio though because when you go to "Monitor" you can see the limits on the opposite directions
is greater on one side than the other.

I like having the Flaperons and would really hate giving them up.
Old 12-14-2010, 07:17 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can still keep the Flapperons. Just put the Flap Switch in the Flaps Up position and set up the Aileron servos accordingly. Use the Aileron Differential in the Function List and check to see that when you deploy the Flaps that the Aileron Differential is still the same.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:09 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since you mentioned the monitor screen, would you tell me what happens when you haveNO flaperon input and you move the aileron stick from one extreme to the other? With the stick at neutral are the pips for both the RAIL and LAIL on the center mark? When you move the aileron stick to either the extreme left or extreme right, do the pips on both ailerons move to the extreme end marks? In other word if the LAIL chart were directly below the RAIL, do the pips always line up vertically? If they do, there is probably no problem.

The aileron travel has limits. If you set the travel adjustment to 150%, then without any other input to the aileron channel the ailerons are moving the maximum amount possible. When you add another command, it isn’t added to the aileron travel. Rather that command takes a part of the permissible aileron travel, leaving less for the aileron. At 150% aileron travel adjustment after you give the spoileron command, an extreme right aileron stick command will cause the right aileron to travel up less than the left aileron to travel down.

If you want equal aileron movement, the total percentage for aileron travel and flaperon cannot exceed 150%.

Allan