Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX8 flap and elevator....

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:26 AM
boingram

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DX8 flap and elevator....

Hi all...I am switching from a Multiplex EVO 12 where I had both flap sides and ele sides on seperate channels. I can't figure out how to do the set up on my new DX8. When I connect them to a "Y", each half moves in opposite directions and resersing simply reverses the opposite movements...help...or plse direct me to a programing source...thnx....Bo
Old 02-03-2011, 11:45 AM
JIMF14D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DX8 flap and elevator....

I think if you use a Y, both servos for a function move in the same direction (ccw or cw). So you probably need to fix it mechanically by moving the servo arm to the other side of one servo. or reverse the servo internal progammng?
Old 02-03-2011, 11:47 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Bo Ingram

Hi all...I am switching from a Multiplex EVO 12 where I had both flap sides and ele sides on seperate channels. I can't figure out how to do the set up on my new DX8. When I connect them to a ''Y'', each half moves in opposite directions and resersing simply reverses the opposite movements...help...or plse direct me to a programing source...thnx....Bo
Hi Bo.
Can't help with the programming, but Andy Kunz is on the Spektrum development team.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10257233/tm.htm
PM him and I'm sure he'll help.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:48 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Set your Wing Type to one with 2 flaps (such as 2 Ail/2 Flap). This will give you two independent flap channels (RFL and LFL).

While on the Wing Type screen, set your tail to Dual Elevators. This will give you two independent elevator channels (REL and LEL).

You can totally manipulate them separately - reversing, endpoints, etc. When doing P-Mixes, the mixing to one or the other will give opposite results. Read the description found on the Spektrum Community site (http://community.spektrumrc.com). The update for a 6-channel sailplane has a good tutorial in it.

If you have more questions, post here and I'll be happy to explain it.

Andy
Old 02-03-2011, 12:02 PM
JIMF14D

How do you get independant when they are connected to the RX with a Y and thus driven with the same output?
Old 02-03-2011, 12:27 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Andy was explaining how to do it without the Y connector.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:31 PM
JIMF14D

ok, I thought I had missed a magic trick to save servo extensions and Rx channels....
Old 02-03-2011, 02:38 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

I never use Y Harness's and especially not Reversing Y Harnesses. I try to put Dual Ailerons, Dual Elevators, Dual Flaps, on separate channels and mix them. This is so easy to do with the DX8.

If I do not have enough channels to do the job, I use a JR Matchbox. One such instance would be if I had 6 channels tied up, as mentioned above, and I needed to have Dual Rudders and Nosewheel. I can set the Servo Direction, for up to 4 servos, set Neutral, and set Endpoints. This allows me to mix the Nosewheel with the Rudders, Match the Rudder servos, and easily Trim the Nosewheel, without having to do it Mechanically.

If I had a 10 or 12ch radio, I would not need a Matchbox, at all.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:11 AM
boingram

Andy,,I have tried till I'm blue in the face to get my TX registered on the support page with no luck...cannot get the field to take the serial number....I have been very careful w/case. Even had others try entering the info...no luck.

Also, I have done what you suggested with the dual elevator, etc, and the elevators and flaps still run opporsite and when I reverse them, all they do is reverse the opposite directions...thnx...Bo

ps...I am coming from a Multiplex EVO 12 so I had pretty much unlimited room for asigning chanels to servos so I am a newbie to JR programing. So far I love the TX and am astounded by the response and resolution. Far superior to the 72.xxx Multiplex which is old school high end TX. This is my first Asian (known) radio as I had an ACE MicroPro before the Multiplex. Another feature I like with the DX is how well it feels in my hands....very comfortable.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:02 AM
JIMF14D

You cannot fix it from the TX if you use a Y connector.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:08 AM
boingram

I know....I've never been a fan of Y's. I can always use a Matchbox which is probably the best way, anyhow. I have a couple of Bipes with a servo on each ail...I will definitely use a MB on those. I just wish to learn this TX and it's mixing and features. With over 20 airframes flightworthy, switching to the new freq standard is expensive...Bo
Old 02-04-2011, 05:20 AM
JIMF14D

Hey tell me about it. Iswitched to Hitec Aurora 9 in March last year and now have 8 Rxs....$$$$$$! But at least the A9 six channel is only $42 online.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 AM
BuschBarber

Bo - If you are using a separate channel for each Aileron half, each Flap half, and each Elevator half, then all you need to do is to go into Servo Reversing and set the direction of the servo on each channel until they are all going in the correct direction. In other words, you need to adjust the Servo Direction for each Half of the Control Surface. It should be as simple as that.

Since Spektrum changes the names of the Channels when you enable Dual Aileron, Dual Flaps, and Dual Elevators, you need to be sure that the Right Aileron servo is connected to the Aileron Channel and the Right Flap servo is connected to the Flap Channel, and the Right Elevator servo is connected to the Elevator Channel. This is a Standard Convention.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:53 AM
boingram

I understand that, but here's my problem. I have complicated airframes and need to run both flaps and both elevator halves off a "Y". When I hook up the flaps for example, to each of the y's and then plug the y into the flap channel, each flap operates in opposite directions...same with elevator. When I use the reverse feature, all this does is reverse the opposite throws and I'm back to where I was. I need to get both ele and flap halves running in same direction using a "Y" and one channel for each...thnx....Bo
Old 02-04-2011, 06:18 AM
AndyKunz

You need to do the reversing in one of the servos then. The Y is telling both servos to rotate in the same direction - it's a totally passive device, just wires splitting the signals.

This is a servo issue now, not a radio issue.

Try replacing the Y with an extension - then it becomes a radio issue and very simple to correct as noted above by others.

Andy
Old 02-04-2011, 06:20 AM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: JIMF14D

I think if you use a Y, both servos for a function move in the same direction (ccw or cw). So you probably need to fix it mechanically by moving the servo arm to the other side of one servo. or reverse the servo internal progammng?
Sounds to me this is the answer.
Or get a bigger radio.
A reversing y would work, but, not recommended.
You could move the servo arm 180 degrees, but would probably have to move the servo
or the control horn to keep a straight linkage.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:23 AM
BuschBarber

I see!! I do not believe you mentioned this in such detail, before.

I situations like this, you are better off using JR Matchboxes (or the Futaba equivalent) instead of Y Harnesses. The Matchbox allows you to connect up to 4 servos to one channel. You can set the Servo Direction, Neutral, and End Points, for each servo.

Another option available to those who have more complicated Airframes, is to use more than one Receiver. Some people do this for Redundancy, but it can be used to solve your problem, as well.

You can Bind your Tx to more than one Rx, in the same plane, by Binding each Rx, one at a time, one after the other. This way, you can mount each Rx in a different part of the airframe, connect the servos to the appropriate channels, and have less wiring to take apart when you disassemble the airframe.

Would either of these suggestions solve you problem?
Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 AM
boingram

Rich...I have used Matchboxes many times....I just don't see why with the DX8, you run a y to the flap and ele channel, then they run in opporite directions...don't get it, but oh, well....Bo

...and I cannot get the Spektrum support page to take my serial number...it is case sensitive, but I have tried it every way to Sunday and have had others enter it.....no luck.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 AM
BuschBarber

Bo - Since most servos turn in the same direction, by default, and since the Servo Arms, for each Aileron half, are mounted on opposite sides of each servo, it is normal for the Aileron to work properly, when you use a Y Harness.

For Dual Flaps and Dual Elevators, I have always had to Reverse one of the servos, either by using a Reversing Y Harness, a Matchbox, or by purchasing a Reversed Servo. The DX8 is no different than any other manufacturer's radio, in that regard. If you have two servos, connected via a Y Harness, to one channel, and you Reverse that channel, both servos will be Reversed equally. There is no way to Revers each servo, on a Y Harness, from the Transmitter, no matter whose Transmitter you buy.

I do not know why the Registration section of the Horizon web site is not working for you. I have not had to Register any products in quite some time.
Old 02-04-2011, 06:56 AM
AndyKunz

Bo,

If you have two servos coming off a Y, and one rotates in one direction and the other in the opposite direction, your servos are the issue not the transmitter. If there's only one signal lead going to two servos, how is the radio supposed to tell one to go one direction and another go the other direction? Not possible! If you insist on using the Y connector, you need to do the reversing in the servo. ONLY REVERSE ONE OF THEM from its current direction. OR simply move the pushrod to the other side of the servo output arm. If you can replace the Y with two extensions (preferred) then you can adjust it from the transmitter.

As for the registration issue, I sent you a PM or e-mail the other day. It has my work e-mail address in it. You need to e-mail me a photo of your serial number screen so I can have it processed for you.

Andy
Old 02-04-2011, 07:33 AM
boingram

Andy...sending SN under seperate cover...thnx for your help....Bo
Old 02-04-2011, 11:35 AM
JIMF14D

Bo, Igave you the answer yesterday. You have two choices using the Y:
1. Change the direction the servo rotates on one surface side by changing the servo electrical rotation. On some servos this can be done with a servo programmer.

Or
2. Move the pushrod to the other side of the servo on one surface side. The servos will both rotate say CCW but one will pull a horn and the other will push a horn.

Well choice 3 is a radio and Rx with more channels Iguess

Old 02-04-2011, 11:50 AM
BuschBarber

The problem with moving the Servo Arm to the other side of the servo is that it changes the Geometry of the setup.

I have a number of aircraft, with Dual Elevators, where each Elevator servo is in the Side of the Fuse, under the Stab, or in the Under side of the Stab. Switching the Servo Arm to the other side of the servo changes the Angle that the Pushrod makes with the Servo Arm and the Control Horn on the Elevator. This makes the movement of each Elevator half somewhat different and they would not Track the same.

There are other examples of how moving the Servo Arm can affect the operation of a Control Surface.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
boingram

I'm just going with the old reliable JR Matchbox. Since retrofitting a number of airframes, I don't wish to reconfiguire all the servos and deal w/the geometry issues,,,et.al...nobody said switching would be easy.

Anyone familiar with mixing engines on a twin.....thnx...Bo
Old 02-04-2011, 02:20 PM
snuts

When mixing throtle to rudder. have the throtle drop percentage, or lower throtle slaved to the rudder. Most try to have an engine increase in rpm, that is much harder to accomplish.

-Snuts-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.