Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX8 telemetry RPM pickup for Gas engines - SOLVED!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 07:01 AM
highonthai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After coming across this thread, installed my Tm1000. Everything working great.

DLE111
Ignition Telemetry Adapter (EVOA107) and onboard tach plugged into a Y on the tach sensor lead. (Used ferrite chokes)
Voltage sensor to flight pack.
Temperature gauge wires extended using same gauge wire soldered and heat shrinked with sensor placed around #1 cylinder.
All working great.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:59 PM
Sheriff John

I've been trying to get RPM readings on my Zenoah electronic ignition 26cc engine by going through the Spektrum TM1000 and this thread really helped me out. I wanted to post because the discussion here is a little old and if someone, like me, is searching for help. My info may help too.

I emailed Horizon Hobby and asked what I needed. They replied that I needed a Evolution brand cable. Part number: EVOA113. It looks like the EVOA107 that's shown a few pages back but it must be an upgraded cable. Especially since the EVOA107 is discontinued. I hooked it up to the extra RPM cable on the electronic ignition module but it didn't work. So I used a Y cable and connected the EVOA113 cable to the ignition cable and it worked! I didn't have to cut any wires! The red LED light blinked when I rotated the prop by hand. I could see when the magnet passed the sensor, the LED blinked!

I have a Spektrum DX9. I added "RPM" to the Telemetry table. I made sure that the Pole count was set on INH since that's for electric motors and the ratio is at 1 / 1. (one count for every revolution. since there is only 1 magnet on the shaft)

It would be "cleaner" if the new cable would hook up to the separate RPM sensor cable on the electronic ignition module. But that's a minor issue.

Hope this helps!

SJ
Old 06-21-2015, 04:43 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For guys who are using the RPM tach adaptor (EVOA113) plugged in straight from the Tach lead on their CDI units, do yours blink when you rotate the prop by hand? I notice the RPM light on my TM1000 stays solid red and doesn't blink when rotating - haven't had the chance to fire up the engine yet to see if it works then however.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:17 PM
Sheriff John

It doesn't work on the Tach Lead! When I tried to use it on the tach lead, the red LED on the TM1000 stays solid red and does NOT blink. So use a Y cable as I mentioned above. When the red LED light blinks when rotating the prop, the RPM sensor is working.

good luck,

SJ
Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 AM
PROPBUSTER1

Ok. What about trying to use a 3 lead hall effect sensor on a DA 170. Andy, do you have a suggested pinout and do I need a resister on the sensor output? Left pin Power, center pin Ground and Right pin output.

Thanks
Barney Liftoff
Old 03-23-2017, 11:35 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I sent a request to a couple people who might know. I don't use ignition engines.

Andy
Old 08-22-2018, 02:28 PM
Jeffryz

Andy,
I have a saito fg60-3cylinder radial that I want to get connected to my dx9 and tm1000 so I can monitor the rpm in flight. I have the evolution rpm adaptor in hand but it does not provide a rpm reading. Just connecting the signal and ground wires from the the saito ign module to the tm1000 gives erratic rpm values then it freezes up the telemetry data. Help....Jeff
Old 08-22-2018, 02:37 PM
AndyKunz

Jeff,

I'm not familiar with the Saito 4-stroke setup. You should be able to use the Evolution unit. You probably need to contact Product Service for support on this one.

Andy
Old 08-22-2018, 02:39 PM
Jeffryz

Andy, Thanks for the quick reply. No response from saito since 6 weeks of trying.
JJ
Old 08-22-2018, 02:50 PM
AndyKunz

I meant Horizon Hobby's support group.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/content...service-center

Phone them, leave a callback, or do it online.

Andy