Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:28 AM
dougclind

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum Telemetry module and iPhone App.

Andy, it sounds like if you own Android you'll have to wind up writing your own app if you want Spectrum telemetry. You'd think HH could just contract out someone to write the app for Pete's sake. There's tons of people out there who are doing this kind of thing.
Old 11-27-2011, 09:47 AM
Antelope163

rodestar99 - do you know which iOS version you are running on your iTouch?  I tried to "restore" my iPhone to the earlier version of the iOS (before 5.0.1) but it doesn't offer that option in the iTunes restore feature - it doesn't restore the operatiing system to the original version that I got wiht the phone.  BTW, my flyng buddy is thinking about the same thing you are. He wants to rig up the rpm sensor to the iginition on his gas engine since his carb cionsumes the back plate of the DA engine.  If he figures it out, I'll let you know. 
Old 11-27-2011, 01:47 PM
rodestar99

Antelope,
I am running 4.2.1 on an itouch gen2. I am an android guy so I don't know that much about iphones. Depending on which software you have there should be a way to restore it.
If you spend enought time on the internet you can find more info on this subject than you could absorb in a lifetime so I am sure there is a way to roll it back.
I think that tapping the pulse from the ignition trigger will be quite easy. The only thing that keeps me from trying it is that the plane I have this installed on uses
a life battery of 6.5 volts. I am running the reciever and servos at full voltage but the ignition is going through a voltage reulator so if I tried to run from the ignition triigger
I might run into some ground issues with the seperate power supplies. Imight just try running the telemetry transmitter from the ignition power and not worry about the
data from the reciever. Another way might be to use an opto isolator between the two. The thing is it would have to operate at a high enough frequency to pick up the ignition pulses.
I am not a real serious hardware guyso I will leave that to someone else . If anyone works this out please chime in .
Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

ORIGINAL: dougclind

Andy, it sounds like if you own Android you'll have to wind up writing your own app if you want Spectrum telemetry. You'd think HH could just contract out someone to write the app for Pete's sake. There's tons of people out there who are doing this kind of thing.
Actually it takes hardware, too. The Apple products have a non-standard proprietary interface that you need to jump through hoops in order to be able to purchase the security chips to allow you to make products that plug in.

The software is not an issue. You need hardware first. And since it would be USB, that would mean a device driver for Android...

It's not just something you do in your spare time.

Believe me, I'm hoping for something different too. I won't buy an Apple product, and I don't own an Android.

Andy
Old 11-28-2011, 07:38 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am purchasing a DX8, with minimal usage, from a friend who wants a JR 11X. I have a Droid Thunderbolt and also an iPod Touch Gen3, but the 8Gb version I have only supports V4 firmware. I received the iPod as a gift when I opened a bank account last year. It should work well with the DX8 Telemetry.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:24 AM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: Antelope163

rodestar99 - do you know which iOS version you are running on your iTouch? I tried to ''restore'' my iPhone to the earlier version of the iOS (before 5.0.1) but it doesn't offer that option in the iTunes restore feature - it doesn't restore the operatiing system to the original version that I got wiht the phone. BTW, my flyng buddy is thinking about the same thing you are. He wants to rig up the rpm sensor to the iginition on his gas engine since his carb cionsumes the back plate of the DA engine. If he figures it out, I'll let you know.
I have the iPhone 3gs with the latest version from iTunes (5.0.1). The sti module works just fine, no problems now. There has been one update for the sti module since it first hit itunes. After installing it, it requires that the iphone be re-booted.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:57 AM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: JohnB96041

This write up is for AndyKunz and all others that read this forum. A very large Thank You to HH for their support with my TM1000, Airspeed and Altitude module service. The TM1000 quit working, so I sent it to HH for service. They replaced it. In the mean time I ordered a second TM1000 and it worked flawlessly without the Altimeter or Airspeed plugged in. When I plugged in either one or both these items the New TM1000 quit working, but would still work with them disconnected. So I sent the Altimeter and Airspeed modules to HH for service. And, again, HH replaced both units with no charge. Now, Gentlemen, that is what is called Great Service and Customer Support. Andy, please pass this on the the tech people at HH. Thanks. I am very confident that the Alt and AirSpeed units will work when I get them through UPS. Probably early next week. I will then update this post with the results. My system now will have Battery monitoring, Cylinder head temp, Altitude, Airspeed, and RPM readings on the Transmitter as well as on my iPhone with the STi Telemetry Module. Now for some nice weather so I can go fly and give this system a real test.
Andy: above is the statement that I made after getting everything back. Happy to report that everything is working great, but have one concern. When I connect the Sti module to the iPhone, turn on the receiver and then turn on the Transmitter (DX8, firmware version 2.03 beta) an alarm goes off telling me that the airspeed is zero. Is there a way to turn this off? I have to press the clear key on the transmitter and then everything works just fine until a slight breeze hits the pitot tube then the warning goes off again. I understand that the airspeed unit only registers airspeeds starting at about 15 mph. Any suggestions?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:08 AM
AndyKunz

It sounds like you have it set to alarm on low airspeed, but that low speed is above the kind of wind speed you're seeing. Set it up higher, closer to the stall speed of your plane (a few above it).

Or just change the Alarm to INH for that setting. You don't need to set an alarm on the telemetry to see something, just if you want it to alarm on that condition.

The 0 speed on start is normal - it's doing exactly what it should. Pressing CLEAR to ack it is correct.

Andy
Old 11-30-2011, 09:23 AM
JohnB96041

Andy: Thanks, Will give it a try.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM
BuschBarber

I finally purchased my first DX8. I thought I had heard of a module that verbally reported Telemetry parameters being received from the aircraft. Is that something available through the STI module and the iPod/iPhone or is there even such a device available?
Old 11-30-2011, 02:02 PM
AndyKunz

The DX8 hardware does not have that capability. If it happens, it would probably be on the STi first - the phone/MP3-player has text-to-speech and plays ringtones and all sorts of stuff. Seems like the right place to start...

Andy
Old 12-01-2011, 05:55 AM
JohnB96041

Andy: If I understood one of your posts, the following item (Air Telemetry Flight Pack Voltage Sensor: Servo by Spektrum (SPMA9554)) can be used between the ignition hall sensor and ignition module and then plug into the rpm port of the TM1000 telemetry module. Is this correct? I don't want to burn something up with the wrong connection.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:16 AM
AndyKunz

John,

SPMA9554 goes between your ignition battery and ignition module to tell you the voltage of the ignition battery. It plugs into the Temperature/Voltage port on the TM1000 and gives you voltage.

For RPM, you want the SPMA9569 sensor. This picks up the timing off the magneto, plugging into the RPM port to report RPM.

You might want to check Flying Giants for somebody who has connected the ignition module to the RPM port. Perhaps calling our Customer Support group and asking for Albert or AC will help.

Andy
Old 12-01-2011, 11:08 AM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

John,

SPMA9554 goes between your ignition battery and ignition module to tell you the voltage of the ignition battery. It plugs into the Temperature/Voltage port on the TM1000 and gives you voltage.

For RPM, you want the SPMA9569 sensor. This picks up the timing off the magneto, plugging into the RPM port to report RPM.

You might want to check Flying Giants for somebody who has connected the ignition module to the RPM port. Perhaps calling our Customer Support group and asking for Albert or AC will help.

Andy
Will not work with the SAP180HP 30cc as it is rear carb and rear exhaust. Need something that reads off the magnet on the prop hub like the hall sensor. Was told by another person that connecting the y-connector (SPMA9554) between the hall sensor and ignition module would work. Not sure, and do not want to fry anything.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 PM
AndyKunz

Sounds to me like you want SPMA9569. It reads off the prop hub, or off a magnet, or (on a nitro engine) it can be used to read the crank pin going past.

They told you the wrong thing - SPMA9554 is a voltage sensor, not a tach input.

Andy
Old 12-03-2011, 09:14 AM
BuschBarber

Pardon me for asking this question, here, but is the X-bus port, on the TM1000, currently used for something or is it for future use not yet known by us?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:22 AM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: BuschBarber

Pardon me for asking this question, here, but is the X-bus port, on the TM1000, currently used for something or is it for future use not yet known by us?
It is used for the Altimeter, Airspeed, g-force modules at the current time. Sure there will be more to come.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:37 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Speaking of the future, is there a marine Rx on the way that will be compatible with the telemetry?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:19 AM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

I would really like to get the telemetry system but the cost of an iPod Touch and STi interface device is as much as a new DX-7s. According to the Apple forum on the STi, the system still has bugs that need to be worked out. Guess I will just have to wait a little longer !
Old 12-05-2011, 11:23 AM
JohnB96041

ORIGINAL: DCGayhart

I would really like to get the telemetry system but the cost of an iPod Touch and STi interface device is as much as a new DX-7s. According to the Apple forum on the STi, the system still has bugs that need to be worked out. Guess I will just have to wait a little longer !
I think the bugs were with the first version of the STi module apps. There has been one update so far and It appears to work great. I currently have the TM1000 module with battery monitoring, cylinder head temp readings, altitude, and airspeed. All work great to the Tx and to the STi module on my iPhone 3gs. Now waiting for the RPM sensor and some way to connect it to my gas engine. Even though my electronic ignition has a tacometer connection they say it will not work with the TM1000.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:27 AM
JohnB96041

Wish I could spell in this cold weather here in Oklahoma. Currently 32 degrees and wind is blowing with gusts to 33 mph.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:05 PM
KC36330

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wish they could make the RPM sensor turbine compatible.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:07 PM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

i wish i HAD a turbine
Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: KC36330

wish they could make the RPM sensor turbine compatible.
We announced a JetCat interface at Nuremberg last year. Does more than just RPM!

Andy
Old 12-05-2011, 01:28 PM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: vasek

Speaking of the future, is there a marine Rx on the way that will be compatible with the telemetry?
The MRxxxx receivers can be used with a DX8 just fine. Attach your TM1000 to the BIND port on the rx and you'll be in business. It does not provide Flight Log data, but everything else works.

You can use any aircraft tx, or Marine tx as well, using the STi as the display.

Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.