Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Let's talk DX18 here!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 01:55 PM
Windfree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Let's talk DX18 here!

I have a normal elevator to flap mix set so that when i pull up the flaps go down, would anyone know how i could program that to be able to reverse it in flight so that up elevator would give up ailerons as well.
What i am trying to do is to be able to select no coupling or normal or reverse coupling in flight.

BTW- This is being done on a 50cc Extra 260 with flaperons.

Thanks
Darcy
Old 05-24-2013, 07:42 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Mix ELE > LAL.

Andy
Old 06-02-2013, 06:37 AM
hymie42

Hey Andy,

Not sure if this is the right thread for the question - is there a way/plan to change the alarm tone for telemetry signal loss?

Sound the same as any other failure so is quite distracting.

Dave
Old 06-04-2013, 08:56 AM
AndyKunz

Dave,

You have 4 sound setting options. Pick one of the other three.

I no longer use the RF alarms myself. I put alarms on things that actually need them, like flight pack V and GPS distance.

And yes, this is a good place for the question.

Andy
Old 06-04-2013, 12:32 PM
hymie42

Hi andy,

When you say there are 4 sound setting options do you mean

1. nothing
2. tone
3. buzz
4. tone and buzz

Or am I missing something fundamental? I would love to have different tones but haven't found where to set that

For anything critical I want tone and buzz as I could be in a noisy environment.

Also haven't seen anywhere to change telemetry warnings - i.e. warnings about the telemetry system itself.

Dave
Old 06-04-2013, 01:17 PM
AndyKunz

Those are the 4 settings Dave. The radios do not provide access for customers to have different frequencies available, although we did make changes like that for the DX18QQ.

There is not a separate alarm about the telemetry system itself, outside of the telemetry module range warnings, and due to the nature of how they are generated, that's they way it will be.

However, since the forward RF link is so reliable, you can use the forward link warnings to provide a useful telemetry range warning for yourself by simply alarming on excessive frames and holds.

Andy
Old 06-04-2013, 01:40 PM
hymie42

Hi Andy,

Are you saying I can turn off telemetry range warnings?

Dave
Old 06-05-2013, 04:25 AM
AndyKunz

Sure, by simply turning off the Frame and Hold warnings.

Andy
Old 06-05-2013, 04:45 AM
czorzella

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

Sure, by simply turning off the Frame and Hold warnings.

Andy
Andy, please clarify.
Are you saying that the Frame and Hold warnings are exclusively for telemetry reception, not for the receiver itself?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:02 AM
AndyKunz

The F & H alarms are for QoS on the forward (tx to rx) transmissions.

We piggy-back telemetry range warnings on the same return (TM to tx) message format, though. When the TM1000 is having a hard time hearing the tx, it sends a telemetry range alarm by sending the QoS status report with very high values so that alarms are tripped in the tx.

I've explained it several times on RCG, Carlos. You might find a better explanation there.

Andy
Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 PM
czorzella

ORIGINAL: AndyKunz

The F & H alarms are for QoS on the forward (tx to rx) transmissions.

We piggy-back telemetry range warnings on the same return (TM to tx) message format, though. When the TM1000 is having a hard time hearing the tx, it sends a telemetry range alarm by sending the QoS status report with very high values so that alarms are tripped in the tx.

I've explained it several times on RCG, Carlos. You might find a better explanation there.

Andy
Thanks Andy.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 AM
jmcowart

Thanks for the pointers and explanations this fourm has already given me. Question, please.

I am planning for the setup of a 12 servo system using AR112100 (That is the power safe one, I think) and was planning to get a DX18 to replace my current DX8. Can you tell me - does that system sound practical? The DX8 won't cover all 12 channels that I need, but the DX18 would of course. Or, is it a better plan to use two 8 or 9 channel receivers instead of the single 12 channel receiver and stay with the DX8?. I wanted to have redundant battery packs - two LiFe packs for one 12 channel receiver. Don't think I want to have four 2S LiFe packs for two receivers, but not confiednt of that approach or my knowledge and understanding either.

If you can follow my train of thought here - which way would be most efficient and effective and reliable?

I would certainly appreciate any insights or advice you can give me. Thanks very much. Mike.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmcowart

Thanks for the pointers and explanations this fourm has already given me. Question, please.

I am planning for the setup of a 12 servo system using AR112100 (That is the power safe one, I think) and was planning to get a DX18 to replace my current DX8. Can you tell me - does that system sound practical? The DX8 won't cover all 12 channels that I need, but the DX18 would of course. Or, is it a better plan to use two 8 or 9 channel receivers instead of the single 12 channel receiver and stay with the DX8?. I wanted to have redundant battery packs - two LiFe packs for one 12 channel receiver. Don't think I want to have four 2S LiFe packs for two receivers, but not confiednt of that approach or my knowledge and understanding either.

If you can follow my train of thought here - which way would be most efficient and effective and reliable?

I would certainly appreciate any insights or advice you can give me. Thanks very much. Mike.
You will not have any more channels using two receivers with the DX8. You will just have a redundant 8ch receiver. Some use that method and connect half of their Ailerons and Elevators to one receiver and half to the other in case of receiver failure. Some use redundant receivers to make it easier to wire large, complex aircraft, such as one Rx in the Fuse and one in the Wing, etc..

I would opt for the DX18 and the 12ch Rx, in your situation.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:27 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

+1

Power safe receivers have a fail on switch and multiple receivers with the remote's the central unit is just a power distribution bus.

Its as redundant as you can get
Old 06-12-2013, 11:39 AM
Pete S-RCU

I need a stall warning device for my jets on landing.
Eagletree has an adjustable stall alarm the you can set trip points on and vary the beep rate, slow to faster as you approach the set stall speed.
Can I do the same thing with the DX18's telemetry?
Old 06-12-2013, 11:43 AM
czorzella

ORIGINAL: Pete S-RCU

I need a stall warning device for my jets on landing.
Eagletree has an adjustable stall alarm the you can set trip points on and vary the beep rate, slow to faster as you approach the set stall speed.
Can I do the same thing with the DX18's telemetry?
Pete, sure you can! You should consider an Aircraft Telemetry Airspeed Indicator (SPMA9574)

www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx

Old 06-12-2013, 12:25 PM
hymie42

Can I chip in a bit here

Depending on your turbine the manufacturer might to an airspeed "hold" system - JetCat do. This will give you a set approach speed. (There are 2 modes - max speed limit and speed hold).

However, as you know, airspeed doesn't relate directly to stall.

Weight of aircraft, relating to G forces also have an effect.

I would look into a "real" stall warning device - I used to work on jets and saw them on there - like a paddle that gets sucked up into the airflow when buffeting starts.

I would look into that, and maybe one of the manufacturers has something already.

If not there are loads of articles on how to build your own telemetry sensor - a microswitch connected to the paddle arrangement maybe?

There is a thread on the subject here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=581069&page=2

And some ideas here - http://code7700.com/g-450_stall_warning.html

Hope that of use - anyway, that's my 5c worth

Dave
Old 06-12-2013, 01:38 PM
Pete S-RCU

I was interested in the Eagletree system, but I am considering a new radio also, as my 9303 is seven years old and I'm thinking of replacing it.
Be nice to buy a system that incorporates both features, for less money.

I looked at the air speed link, but it only tells of the installation, not how to program alerts.
Where can I find more information on programming it and the types of alarms it has?
A warning about 10mph above stall and then increasing in freq untill the stall occurs, is what I'd like.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Pete S-RCU

Thanks Dave but, I think the AOA indicator for models is a work in progress.
I'm looking for a more simple buy it, install it approach.
You're right though, the AOA is the most accurate way to go.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:17 PM
czorzella

I was interested in the Eagletree system, but I am considering a new radio also, as my 9303 is seven years old and I'm thinking of replacing it.
Be nice to buy a system that incorporates both features, for less money.

I looked at the air speed link, but it only tells of the installation, not how to program alerts.
Where can I find more information on programming it and the types of alarms it has?
A warning about 10mph above stall and then increasing in freq untill the stall occurs, is what I'd like.
The Spektrum telemetry measures airspeed from approximately 15 MPH to 350 MPH. In order to receive stall warnings, you must either configure minimum speed threshold on your radio and / or the STI application on your iphone.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 PM
AndyKunz

ORIGINAL: czorzella

The Spektrum telemetry measures airspeed from approximately 15 MPH to 350 MPH. In order to receive stall warnings, you must either configure minimum speed threshold on your radio and / or the STI application on your iphone.

And that's very simple to do. Go to the Telemetry menu, add Speed as a sensor. When you click, it will pop you into the config screen and you can set the type of alarms and the setpoints for them.

Andy
Old 06-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Pete S-RCU

I don't have a cell phone I can use for that.
I have a Trac Phone, only makes phone calls, no bells or whistles.
Any other options, I thought the xmtr had a vibrate feature, but I would prefer an audible sound alert too.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:58 PM
czorzella

Any other options, I thought the xmtr had a vibrate feature, but I would prefer an audible sound alert too.
That's not a problem at all. With the DX18 you may configure it to warn you in three different ways: (a) tone; (b) buzz or (c) tone and buzz. There is no need to have an iPhone to receive and log your telemetry information. Your radio can do it all for you.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
AndyKunz

My answer was for use with the DX18, not the STi. I don't have any iToys either (my old Nokia 1112 is Tracfone too). I do all the telemetry alarms and display on the transmitters.

Andy
Old 06-13-2013, 06:00 AM
Pete S-RCU

OK, that's what I hoped.
Just to be sure, will this xmtr work with all my current receivers?
AR 9100 with four SPM9545 receivers, AR7000, and a AR9210?

What else do I need besides the DX18, for a stall warning setup?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.