Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX7s mixing for Icon A5

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:04 PM
ginbudjim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7s mixing for Icon A5

Having just soloed two months ago I'm now trying to understand my DX7s radio better. In flying the Icon 5A I want to mix in someelevator when I apply aileron in order to maintain decent altitude in turns.(I find the Iconto quick toroll into a sharp dive in normal turns with application of aileron and I'm trying totame it some without having to pull in so much up elevator.) The Spektrum manual is not very clear on this, or perhaps I just don'tunderstand enough yet of whatit's telling me about mixing.Can I set this mix simply without having toset up a specific switch for this ? Can someone explain in simple terms how I do this ?Any help would be greatly appreciated.Thanks !
(Hobbyzone Super Cub,Bixler2,Nitro Cessna 185, Icon A5)

Old 02-03-2013, 07:57 PM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Default RE: DX7s mixing for Icon A5

Did you get the CG right? If you are getting a dive when you use Aile, I would be suspicious of the CG ( i.e. the plane may be nose heavy.) If you have the plane's CG right and it is trimmed, the plane should just roll, unless you are just flying too slow.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:13 AM
ginbudjim

CG is right on and diving turns occur at full throttle to half throttle. It has to be something capable of being tamed with mixing since all it needs is coordinated up elevator in the turns. Just shouldn't have to manually haul in so much just to maintain a level turn.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:54 AM
Aerocal

Its kind of the nature of the Icon. Being that it is a pusher and is somewhat yaw unstable to begin with you most definitely have to fly it.If your banking it over hard enough for it to start into a dive your not making a normal turn.Since you say you are a somewhat novice pilot I would be kind of hesitant to suggest trying to use mixing to make it fly like something it isnt.Im not saying you cant help it by using some mixing I would just be very careful in how I go about it.You may just create some other unexpected behavior by masking what seems to a bad quality.
It is not designed as a beginners airplane. It can turn into a handful if you think your going to drive it around the sky like a trainer.You need to learn to fly it and stay ahead of what it is going to do.
Ive tried several things on mine.Working in some aileron differential helps alot.I found that a little opposite rudder is in order sometimes to slip it a little so if you get a bit heavy on the elevator and it gets snappy it will roll towards level and not flip on its back.Its really exciting when that happens.Mostly what seems to happen is that when you roll it over and start into a turn it has a tendancy to want to yaw into a skid.You must learn to understand and control how it yaws and the relation to how it stalls depending whether you are in a slip or a skid.This is something you should practice with your cessna first.Learn how to do cross control stalls and accelerated stalls.Then learn how and why an airplane spins.
How to make it happen and how to recover.If you get into a situation like this with the Icon and you dont know exactly what to do without thinking you will be at ground zero real fast.