Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR 9X2 Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 12:07 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 9X2 Transmitter

Hi Guys

I need some assistance with a slight problem I have. I`m building a Turbinator jet and it has 2 aileron and 2 flap servos in each wing side. I`ve selected the NORMAL wing system and can connect the flaps together on a y-lead. I have also made the AUX 2 channel as a slave channel for the ailerons. The elevator is split,so 1 servo for each elevator. I intend to use a y-lead for the elevators as well.

The receiver is a 9 channel Spektrum AR 9100 and has dual power supply. The AUX 3 channel is on the side of the transmitter and will be used for the brakes on the model.

Now a thought has crossed my mind - if using a y-lead on the elevators and on the flaps,I could possibly have a problem,regarding a servo,which is moving in the opposite direction? The servos can not be reversed,by means of a programmer.

To sum it all up,here is the servo set-up:

(1) Ailerons need 2 servos
(2) Elevators need 2 servos
(3) Rudder needs 1 servo
(4) Flaps need 2 servos

I need assistance with any recommendations/advice.

Regards
Craig
Old 10-18-2013, 06:06 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have brakes and retracts, it looks as though you need a Matchbox. You don’t have enough channels to independently control each servo. A Y-connector is all right for a low performance aircraft but for something like a jet; I doubt it.

You could use AUX4 for the brakes as it is unavailable for dual/mating. If AUX3 is used for dual/mate, it will be inhibited in the DeviceSEL. Set AUX3 device in the DeviceSEL to the side lever and its output to INH. Then set up a program mix of AUX3 -> AUX4.This way the side lever will control AUX4 and not AUX3.

Allan
Old 10-18-2013, 09:58 PM

Hello Allan

Thankyou for your reply. I have a brand new matchbox somewhere in my Workshop and will look for it. Maybe I could use that as an alternative to a y-connector? Yes,the model does have retracts and brakes. I fly mode 1 and the slider on the right side of the transmitter,will be used for the brakes. So the program mix of AUX3 -> AUX4 will work.

Regards
Craig
Old 10-19-2013, 12:51 AM

Craig,

Just to be sure we’re talking about the same transmitter, I made the assumption you have what MacGregor calls the PCM9XII. If that’s true, then it is similar to the JR 9303 that I have. As you are using retracts and flaps, the only channels that are left that can be dual mated are AUX2 and AUX3. That’s why I suggested you put the brakes on AUX4. It is not usable for dual mating.

Your transmitter is not in front of me. My suggestions are based on the 9303 I have. Hopefully, there will not be too much difference between our transmitters.

I would assume you would dual/mate both AUX2 and AUX3 as it would it would eliminate the need for a match box or Y-connector for two of the three channels that require two servos. I don’t fly jets but if I did, I would dual/mate the ailerons and elevators. A Y-connector may be good enough for the flaps. A matchbox would make adjusting them easier. With either a Y-connector or matchbox, the flaps will always be flaps. You won’t be able to make them work as ailerons. Nine channels are not enough for that with your other requirements.

When the outputs of AUX2 and AUX3 are inhibited in the DeviceSEL, no manner what device you designate for them will affect their output. So a program mix of either AUX2 -> AUX4 or AUX3 -> AUX4 would work. I neglected to say if you set up either mix, inhibit the output of AUX4 in the DeviceSEL. Otherwise, AUX4's device in the DeviceSEL will be effective as well as the lever.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 10-19-2013 at 12:58 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 02:40 AM

Hello Allan

Yes,my transmitter is the JR PCM 9XII. I converted it to the 2,5 GHz system. I found the new matchbox and will purchase another one. As you mentioned,flaps are just flaps,so I will use them with a y-lead. Just have to ensure that they both move in the same direction. Thankyou for your assistance.

Regards
Craig
Old 10-19-2013, 09:28 AM

Craig,

I don’t own a matchbox but I’ve read its manual. As I understand it, its principal purpose is to allow you to gang two servos together to drive a single surface. It allows you to adjust the centering and end points so the servos are fighting each other. This would be helpful in adjusting your dual flaps but the matchbox remains a one channel in - one channel out device.

I don’t see how a matchbox on either the ailerons or elevator would have any advantage over your transmitter’s dual/mate feature. It also allows you to adjust each servo’s end points and center. Dual/mate will give you several additional features. On the ailerons, you should be able to use them as flaperons (FLAP -> FPRN or the FLAP SYS menu if you have your flap in the DeviceSEL set to SYS.). The elevators can act as ailerons (AILE -> AILV).

On my pattern planes, I always set my outboard ailerons to act as flaperons. As none have discrete flap, it helps somewhat to use them as flaps for shorter take-offs. This does decrease the plane’s stability. For landing on gusty day, reflexing them upwards helps a great deal on landing. I don’t know about using the elevators as ailerons although one person wrote about using them. You should bring these ideas up on the jet forum, including the matchbox.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 10-19-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:51 AM

Hello Allan

It makes sense what you said,regarding the matchbox. A member at our club recommended that I use dual channels for the elevators,matchbox for the flaps and a y-lead for the ailerons. The aileron servo arms are situated on top of the wing sheeting. So if the direction of one of the servos is incorrect,the pushrod may be mounted to the opposite side of the servo arm. This will eliminate the problem of having to reverse the one servo`s direction.The flaps won`t have this problem in direction of the servos,because the matchbox can reverse the one servo,if it has to? Seems to me that this arrangement can work?

Regards
Craig
Old 10-19-2013, 02:15 PM

Craig,

One correction to my last post: when you use ACRO’s normal wing type which you must if you have both ailerons and flaps, to get the ailerons to act as flaperons, you must use a FLAP -> FPRN program mix. The flaperon wing type doesn’t accommodate discrete flaps. My mistake, I’m too use to using the flaperon wing type where flaps meant flaperons.

If you use AUX4's rather than AUX3's output for the brake, there is no reason for using a Y-connector or a matchbox on the ailerons. Whether you use dual/mate, matchbox or a Y-connector, for a plane with normal geometry you will have to use the opposite sides of the servo wheel for each aileron. If you have to reverse one servo, your only alternative with a Y-connector when you can’t get on the other side of the wheel, is to use a reverse servo. I’m not sure about the matchbox. With dual/mate it is a simple matter of reversing one aileron channel in the transmitter menu. And to repeat, with a Y-connector or matchbox you won’t have the flaperon option.

The only reason I can see for using a matchbox type device on the ailerons is if you have aileron servos that drawn more current than the receiver bus can support. I believe some of these devices allow the use of a separate battery for the servos. But this is completely outside of my area of expertise.

A matchbox on the flaps would make adjusting each flap servo easier than a Y-connector. If the flap servos draw the normal amount of current, I don’t see any other advantage to a matchbox.

Allan
Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 PM

Hello Allan

The configuration which I intend to use,is the NORMAL wing type and the ailerons connected through a y-lead. Match an AUXILLARY channel to use with the elevator channel,as there is 2 seperate elevators. Then use the matchbox or what JR refers to as a MULTI BOX,for the 2 seperate flaps. The rudder has just 1 servo and will use a y-lead on that as well,so that the nose wheel can steer.

Thankyou for your assistance.

Regards
Craig