Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX 18 vs Others

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 12:58 PM
Corsair2013
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX 18 vs Others

I currently have a JR 11x and want to upgrade to more channels. I am now building larger planes - giant scale and really like to break up my Ailerons / Flaps / Elevator / etc. into dual channels so I need more channels.

My question is : Is the DX 18 my only option? I guess if I want to change my RX out I can go to Futaba or look for some type of adapter/crossover module.

How good is the 18? Will the 18T ever be available in the US?

Please feel free to jump in and give me your opinion / suggestions / etc.

Thanks

Keith
Old 04-06-2014, 02:52 AM
20181c

JR has a new 28 channel comming out.

http://www.jramericas.com/
Old 04-06-2014, 07:43 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Corsair2013
I currently have a JR 11x and want to upgrade to more channels. I am now building larger planes - giant scale and really like to break up my Ailerons / Flaps / Elevator / etc. into dual channels so I need more channels.

My question is : Is the DX 18 my only option? I guess if I want to change my RX out I can go to Futaba or look for some type of adapter/crossover module.

How good is the 18? Will the 18T ever be available in the US?

Please feel free to jump in and give me your opinion / suggestions / etc.

Thanks

Keith
The DX18 is a great radio for the money. There were a few teething problems with the first ones that were to some extent fixed in the DX18QQ and now there is a DX18 V2 coming out with different gimbals and all sorts of new programming features including a 250 model memory if you've got that many.... lol

I have a QQ radio and gave my brother the regular 18 I had as they are a bit big for my hands with short fingers that now have some arthritis. The Futaba 18MZ which is what I went to, will cost you about 3 1/2 times what the DX18 will and I've not seen any pricing info on the new JR radio but suspect it will be somewhere in that range, the Jeti 16 channel is about $1600.00 and ALL of those will require that you change out ALL of your rx's. Oh and JR keeps moving the projected delivery date on the 28X back, it's gone to late summer now.

DX18T in the USA? I would not hold my breath right now as you'll die before it gets here, but I do know someone who is a Beta tester for Horizon and he just got one to test....

Last edited by Zeeb; 04-06-2014 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 09:44 AM
Corsair2013

Thanks for the info guys. I have friends in Europe so I can get the T if I want it plus I travel to Italy on and off. I have looked at Jeti and really like the TX but not the price. I am okay right now with my 11x but I am planning on a large build in 2015 or 2016. 146" B-24 Liberator and I will need all the channels then. This gives me some time and I can look at the options you suggested plus see what new comes out this year and next year.

Thanks again

Keith
Old 04-10-2014, 04:54 AM
pappy35

Keep in mind that only 10 of the channels are transmitted at 2048bit resolution (12 are if you use their 12-channel receiver only). If you read the manual it very clearly states that these so-called X-Plus channels should not be used for flight controls. The X-Plus channels are only 512 bit resolution and have a variable frame rate up 88ms (22ms is normal for the prime channels).

This was the main reason I chose the JR XG14 as all 14 channels are fully proportional and updated at the same rate. I don't know anything about the Futaba 18Z but the JR 28x isn't going to be available until summer and will likely cost north of two grand. The XG14 is DMSS so if you have a bunch of DSMX receivers you'd have to replace them as JR no longer supports that protocol.

Give your Liberator a think. If you can run all your critical flight controls (ailerons, elev., rud., flaps, throttle(s)) on ten (or twelve depending on whether you buy the 12-channel receiver) channels and everything else like gear doors, bomb bay, etc. on the X-Plus channels you'd be OK.

Last edited by pappy35; 04-10-2014 at 04:59 AM.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Corsair2013

Pappy, that is exactly what I was thinking. Glad you told me about the X channels as I had heard some info but didn't pay attention. I am just starting to investigate the DX 18 so will pay closer attention to the "fine print" about the X channels. I would put the bomb bay doors, bomb drop, etc on the x channels.

I can understand bombers or planes with special doors, gear, lights, sound, etc. but what planes require 14+ channels? I guess if you have your turrets rotate on a knob, or you open a hatch or something special.

Do Jets require 12+ channels?

Just wondering when you would need a 28 channel radio.

K
Old 04-10-2014, 07:51 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. I have friends in Europe so I can get the T if I want it plus I travel to Italy on and off. I have looked at Jeti and really like the TX but not the price. I am okay right now with my 11x but I am planning on a large build in 2015 or 2016. 146" B-24 Liberator and I will need all the channels then. This gives me some time and I can look at the options you suggested plus see what new comes out this year and next year.

Thanks again

Keith

A possible fly in the ointment is that European TX models can have (regulations) a lower RF output power. If the TX has a USA or Europe setting, then the USA setting has higher RF power.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:11 PM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The JR XG11MV which is the module version of the XG11 can support the XBus using JR's DMSS protocol, as can the XG6, XG8,XG14 and XG11. With the XBus you can drive four servos per channel. While there is no and probably never will be a DSMX module for this transmitter,a DSM2 module is available from Spektrum and maybe JR. The Spektrum DSM2 module will reduce the number of channels. The JR DSM2 module may allow use of all 11 channels.

The XG11MV is posted on the JR Americas web site.

Allan

Last edited by AWorrest; 04-10-2014 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:45 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Do Jets require 12+ channels?

Just wondering when you would need a 28 channel radio.

K
Well my KingCat needs 13 channels and since it's going on my JR 12X rather than the Futaba 18MZ, it'll get a Matchbox for the flaps.

It's not necessarily the number of channels that make a radio attractive but generally speaking the more channels you have, the more programming functionality you get. You could always go with what was used for a long time; PE's.

And with regard to that programming, check the JR DMSS offerings carefully. It's my understanding that the newer radios have some better options that those which have been out for awhile, 'bout what you expect with newer stuff coming all the time. They also have an "X" channel extender deal but I'm not sure what they call it exactly.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:51 AM
AWorrest
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The XG series transmitters that don’t have XBus capability can be upgraded through their SD card. JR doesn’t currently have any XBus servos for sell. So to use the bus, one must use a serial-to-PWM converter with conventional servos. JR has an interesting XBus hub designed for giant scale planes. However, until JR offers serial bus servos that don’t require a converter, the XBus is not too practical for smaller aircraft.

Allan
Old 04-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Corsair2013

Thanks - I have two units that allow you to plug two servo's into then you can balance them with the unit but that adds weight and another point of failure. I will see what comes up at the xmas this year and the first of next year before I make my decision. That gives me time to study plus JR or Spektrum to work out all the bugs..........

K
Old 04-11-2014, 06:59 PM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Please list them, so I can fix them Keith.

Andy
Old 04-12-2014, 07:30 AM
Corsair2013

Andy,
I know you fix them quickly as I have seen the thread. I do like the DX 18 and will probably go with it.

Can you give me (us) any "hints" to any new TX coming out? I don't like buying something then find out next week it is obsolete...........

Keith

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
Please list them, so I can fix them Keith.

Andy
Old 04-12-2014, 08:11 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm waiting for a list, because I don't have any major open issues in the beta we're testing now.

The DX18G2 is really nice! And I was using a factory DX6 the other day - I'm quite sure it will blow away any other 6-channel on the market (and a lot with more channels, too).

Andy