Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX6 lilon battery upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 03:35 PM
warbird_1
My Feedback: (61)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default DX6 lilon battery upgrade.

i just got my new dx6 " black case" today and i have trying to get some info from horizon all day. first time i sat on the phone for 30 min. i finally gave up. anyways i want to buy just the battery . if i understand correctly .. the battery has a built in charger/balancer and only requires a 12 volt power supply putting out 0.5 mah. i just want to verify that. anyone else using the new lion battery? and what are you charging with. i thought 20.00 for a wall wart was a bit much seeing's how i have a bunch of them already if i can use them WB_1
Old 11-07-2014, 09:36 PM
Aerocal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally Ill use the SPM wall wart. I also made up a set of leads I can plug into my PSU or clip onto a car battery in a pinch if I accidentally get caught short on runtime at the field. The spec for all new generation SPM radios in 12volt in. 500ma min. More is ok. 500 min. Polarity is not a factor.
If you hook up leads backwards it wont blow anything like older radios would if you accidentally plugged another brand wall wart in. The charge is terminated in the pack so you dont have to worry about leaving it on too long. The pack for the DX6 doesnt have any kind of indication when it is finished but just plug it in for overnight or awhile and its good. No brainer. If you have wall warts laying around find one with a min of 500ma and 12volt and put an end on it. Good to go.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:28 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Aerocal
Normally Ill use the SPM wall wart. I also made up a set of leads I can plug into my PSU or clip onto a car battery in a pinch if I accidentally get caught short on runtime at the field. The spec for all new generation SPM radios in 12volt in. 500ma min. More is ok. 500 min. Polarity is not a factor.
If you hook up leads backwards it wont blow anything like older radios would if you accidentally plugged another brand wall wart in. The charge is terminated in the pack so you dont have to worry about leaving it on too long. The pack for the DX6 doesnt have any kind of indication when it is finished but just plug it in for overnight or awhile and its good. No brainer. If you have wall warts laying around find one with a min of 500ma and 12volt and put an end on it. Good to go.
that's good to know. i have a 12v 0.6 Mah wall power supply i had in my collection i'll use/ it already has a end on it. :-)
Old 11-08-2014, 09:11 AM
Aerocal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good. Im assuming you mean .6 amp which would be 600ma. 500ma=.5 amp= 1/2 amp . Just making sure we dont confuse anyone here. 600ma will work just fine.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:57 AM
warbird_1

Originally Posted by Aerocal
Very good. Im assuming you mean .6 amp which would be 600ma. 500ma=.5 amp= 1/2 amp . Just making sure we dont confuse anyone here. 600ma will work just fine.
well , the minimum voltage needed for the power source is 12 volt @ .5 amp the battery has a built in charger/balancer so you can have a higher amp source. i used a 12 volt 1.0 amp walwart and i went to radio shack and bought a 4.00 mm o.d. x 1.7mm i.d. plug soldered it on and i was good to go. 20.00 for a wall wart i thought was a bit much especially since i have a bunch laying around .
Old 11-10-2014, 07:01 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
that's good to know. i have a 12v 0.6 Mah wall power supply i had in my collection i'll use/ it already has a end on it. :-)
That'll work fine.

Andy
Old 02-24-2015, 05:16 PM
warbird_1

Well i'd thought i'd post an update on the dx6 battery upgrade. myself as well as a friend bought the battery upgrade for the new dx6 . i fully charged it and put the radio away while i painted my corsair. the other day i pulled it out and it was completely dead. so i charged it back up and it came back up. my friend had the same thing happen to him. so after an hour of being on hold with horizon , i gave up and did the call back thing. the tech was clueless as to why it was dead. just said that they use power even when off. well that's the first radio ever that the battery died that quickly. it was under my bench for over 2 months. that's it. anyone else have the same issue?
Old 02-25-2015, 03:44 AM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by warbird_1
Well i'd thought i'd post an update on the dx6 battery upgrade. myself as well as a friend bought the battery upgrade for the new dx6 . i fully charged it and put the radio away while i painted my corsair. the other day i pulled it out and it was completely dead. so i charged it back up and it came back up. my friend had the same thing happen to him. so after an hour of being on hold with horizon , i gave up and did the call back thing. the tech was clueless as to why it was dead. just said that they use power even when off. well that's the first radio ever that the battery died that quickly. it was under my bench for over 2 months. that's it. anyone else have the same issue?
NO, but - - - If the battery has some sort of built in protection circuitry, that may be involved. Seems that some don't work as they should. I've only seen this on two Lipos intended for use with intro helicopters.
It's also possible that the DX-6 is discharging the battery. I'd wonder about the buddy jack and the internal charge circuitry if I had such a problem. I will say that the batteries in my DX-9's seem to run down while just setting faster than the DX-8's.