Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Looking at new radio.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 09:47 AM
jkolotylo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at new radio.

Hi,

I am getting back into the hobby after about 5 years being out of it. It would seem times have changed somewhat. Everybody is flying 2.4GHZ radios and I don't really see any 72mhz radios like the one have JR-XP9303 anymore on the field. It is still a good radio but I guess to be current with times I need to upgrade. I have been a JR radio user since I was introduced to the hobby. I am thinking about the JR XG8. I am sure this was asked many times before somewhere but what you all think about this radio and its proprietary DMSS protocol? Any issues with performance/ease of use etc? Any thoughts on the future of DMSS vs. DSMX/DSM/DSM2 as to acceptance or should I be looking at DSMX/DSM2 etc.? I suppose I could by JR XP9503 with DSM but why not something that is newer? Seems to me it is all about latest and the greatest with technology these days. Lol. Anyhow, I only have 2 planes (working ones) that I would need to convert so no big deal as I can get this radio with 2 DMSS receivers which would suit my purposes just fine. I would want a radio that I can grow with into the hobby and not be limited by certain aspects like older things being phased out like 72mhz SPCM system. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,

Last edited by jkolotylo; 11-09-2014 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:57 PM
yorkiepap
My Feedback: (18)

Hey jk,
Why change when you already have a fine radio & apparently, you know how to use it. First, there's nothing wrong with the 72Mhz band as I still use it for some of my models & 2.4Ghz for other models. I have (2) JR10X's for 72 & 2.4. I use the Spektrum DM-9 2.4 module on one & AR400 & AR600 Rx's in both DSM2 & DSMX without any issues. With the 10X/72Mhz, I use a JR SelScan module & all JR790 SelScan Rx's so I can easily change channel if necessary at the field. You can also send your radio to HH/JR for the DSMX upgrade, which I believe they charge $75 & I believe they will also check it overall. If it ain't broke, what's to fix? Pick up a DM-9 module from one of the forums(RCG/Flying Giants/E-Bay) for $45-55 & you'll be set.

Denny
Old 11-15-2014, 05:58 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jkolotylo
Hi,

I am getting back into the hobby after about 5 years being out of it. It would seem times have changed somewhat. Everybody is flying 2.4GHZ radios and I don't really see any 72mhz radios like the one have JR-XP9303 anymore on the field. It is still a good radio but I guess to be current with times I need to upgrade. I have been a JR radio user since I was introduced to the hobby. I am thinking about the JR XG8. I am sure this was asked many times before somewhere but what you all think about this radio and its proprietary DMSS protocol? Any issues with performance/ease of use etc? Any thoughts on the future of DMSS vs. DSMX/DSM/DSM2 as to acceptance or should I be looking at DSMX/DSM2 etc.? I suppose I could by JR XP9503 with DSM but why not something that is newer? Seems to me it is all about latest and the greatest with technology these days. Lol. Anyhow, I only have 2 planes (working ones) that I would need to convert so no big deal as I can get this radio with 2 DMSS receivers which would suit my purposes just fine. I would want a radio that I can grow with into the hobby and not be limited by certain aspects like older things being phased out like 72mhz SPCM system. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Cheers,
I have the XG8 and XG11 and love the DMSS, really enjoy the telemetry options as well. I moved from a 9503 and have converted my fleet to DMSS. I can really feel the difference. If you like the JR product DMSS is the way to go.
Jim
Old 11-17-2014, 07:19 PM
jkolotylo

Thank you guys for the feedback. I guess I have some homework to do. All the points/suggestions are valid ones.

Cheers