Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum dx18 gen 2 interference???

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 04:24 PM
72cheyenne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum dx18 gen 2 interference???

Hi everyone. I have had my dx18 gen 2 for two seasons now. Just this last month I have been test running my factor 3d with a dle 30cc gas engine. The engine starts and the screen on my radio flashes to a different screen then back to main screen and engine dies. It had caused the servos to all twitch, two complete brown outs on the receiver. I have changed receiver in the plane, changed the kill switch, changed the batteries, erased the model on the radio and reprogrammed. The radio beeps when it flashes to different screen. Now today I was flying my p3 revolution 60cc biplane. On the 5th flight it took off and started flying completely different, all out of trim and what not. Did one circuit and brought it in. On final I heard the radio start beeping like I wad scrolling through the menus but I wasn't. Then the plane took a step knife edge dive. I somehow was able to snap it back and save it as the wheels hit the ground. I only bent the gear slightly. I don't think I have ever been that lucky. Now I am really nervous using this radio. I have some nice big planes and don't want to pile them all in because of this issue. Does ANYONE have any ideas or Havre had a similar problem?
thank you all
nigel
Old 05-06-2017, 07:52 PM
2walla
My Feedback: (10)

Ummm you should have been afraid to fly when it started messing up on the first plane... send it in.. there are a few known past issues with dx18. bad rf deck, trim pot fails, roller fails, gimbal pot fails, etc etc

Last edited by 2walla; 05-06-2017 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:09 AM
72cheyenne

2walla, I am sure you are right about sending it in. I just want sure out when the receiver gets interference of it sends it back to the radio and makes the radio flash or what. That's why I am posting to see if anyone else has seen this before.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:41 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-j...um-recall.html
Old 05-07-2017, 10:42 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

For the OP; there was a range issue with the DX18's and I think it was with the Gen 2 tx's. Something about looking for a green sticker in the battery compartment IIRC. There is always the possibility that something has failed or is about to fail with the tx, usually something associated with the RF deck.

The Spektrum "recall" that flyinwalenda linked is for the new PowerSafe rx's with telemetry that were released several months ago and all recalled. There is an SB for the DX20 tx's which would not affect your tx. There is a mention of the DX18 "Green dot" issue which does refer to I think your tx.

Long story shorter; as mentioned, send it in for a look see by Horizon. Include the two different rx's that had issues as well.
Old 05-09-2017, 04:13 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

The "green dot" is the RF deck, pull the battery door, if there's a green dot in there (its obvious, its a 1/2" sticker) then its had the service.

If you're not comfortable, then send it in for service.
Old 05-09-2017, 06:39 PM
72cheyenne

Thanks for the help everyone, I sent it in to horizon so they can look it over. I really don't want to lose a plane over this issue.