Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

9303 - Ultra Stick

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 08:17 AM
bentgear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9303 - Ultra Stick

Danny, just read the airplane manual for the 9303, looks to be a big improvement over the 8103. My question is have you guys already figured out the programming required for the UltraStick series of planes or will it be available by the release time of the raido?

Just had the thought as I am typing that it might be in the sailplane version of the manual, have not downloaded that one yet.

Ed M.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:04 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 9303 - Ultra Stick

I have set up ultra stick programming with it (it is easier to set it up that it is to write how to do it), and I will get instructions on how to do this up on our site as soon as I can. I've found that it is easiest to set up the ultra stick in aircraft mode in this system.
Old 09-25-2004, 01:14 PM
wgregoryl
My Feedback: (8)

Danny,

Which site are you referring to? Here on the form, or at Horizon Hobby??? My 9303 gets here Wednesday, my Ultra Stick is done, waiting on this radio. Thanks!!
Old 09-25-2004, 09:12 PM
sn400
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: 9303 - Ultra Sticklite 1.20

hello i recently purchased the xp9303 radio i have the ultra stick lite 1.20 with a r700 slime line receiver can give me any advice on how i can set my ultra stick to use all its functions including the crow any help would be apprecaited
Old 09-27-2004, 09:40 AM
dsnyder

The guide will be up on horizonhobby.com as soon as it is complete. I'll post an address here when it is online.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:59 AM
bentgear

Thanks Danny, BTW, the computer lied about having the 9303/770 combo in stock on the left coast. Guess I will be playing the waitng game a while longer.

Ed M.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:17 PM
dsnyder

FYi, this should be online by tomorrow at the latest. I've posted them, but it doesn't update immediately. As soon as the site updates, they will be up online in the "manuals" link on each of the 9303 pages.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:34 PM
sn400

thanks dan that worked out very well the direction was perfect everything works the way i want
thanks again for the quick reply .
i also bought the venture 50 heli is there anyway possible you can give me the same direction for setup in 3d and hover for the 9303.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:54 PM
dsnyder

That may be possible, I'll have to check into that.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:19 PM
wgregoryl

My radio came in the mail yesterday, it is charging. Thanks so much for putting the directions up for the Ultra Stick. I will hopefully have an opportunity to fly some time next week after visiting family depart.

I love the radio, looks to be well thought out.

Thanks again,

Greg
Old 10-04-2004, 05:41 PM
wgregoryl

Danny,

The instructions that are up on the site do not include directions for Crow. In addition, there seems to be a line missing from the directions when describing how to set the switch for the Aileron to Flap mix, it leaves out selection of SW Sel if I'm remembering correctly (am currently at work so am not sure).

I'll be looking forward to your directions for setting up Crow! Thanks

Greg
Old 10-04-2004, 06:51 PM
sn400

hello danny just wondering on how your coming along with the set up on the venture 50 heli
look forward to your reply thanks
Old 10-05-2004, 11:23 AM
dsnyder

At this time, nothing has happened with it, and I'm not sure when/if there will be anything. Essentially all you need to do is set the percentages the same as the 8103 and dial things as necessary from there.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:41 PM
wgregoryl

Danny,

Sorry I have so many questions, but you've missed mine above. How do I set up Crow for the Ultra Stick??? Do I have to program it in glider when I want that function, and in Acro when I don't. Thanks

Greg
Old 10-06-2004, 09:44 AM
dsnyder

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo...rogramming.pdf
Old 10-06-2004, 05:28 PM
wgregoryl

Aileron to Flap and Flap to aileron mixing doesn't give me Crow, Ailerons up and Flaps down. It gives me Ailerons down and flaps down.

I suppose I'm missing something here, and I suppose I'm a bit of a bother, but I do not understand. Should I call customer support at Horizon?

Please help?

Greg
Old 10-07-2004, 09:37 AM
dsnyder

The Flap to FPRN mix sets up the ailerons up. This mix is described in the last paragraph of the guide on our site. The flaps down is handled in the flap system function. If they are going backwards in your case, reverse the values from + to - or vice versa.
Old 10-12-2004, 11:30 AM
wgregoryl

Question, what is it about the glider program that makes you choose Acro to program the Ultra Stick? I've been fiddling with it, and since all the things are already there, I would really like to know, IF, in all your free time LOL, you might consider telling me how to program it there?

Or at the very least, let me know what it is about the glider program that made you decide to go with Acro, as I may be missing something. But, glider already has butterfly (crow), flap to elevator, aileron to flap etc.

Thanks,

Greg
Old 10-12-2004, 01:15 PM
dsnyder

In aircraft mode it is easier to set up the flaps and elevator compensation as it is all in one screen. All the mixes in acro mode are simple to set up. You would lose a programmable mix or 2 in glider mode, but then requires the flap function and the flaperon mix function to set up the flaps and elevator compensation in crow. Either way can be done, but I don't feel it is necessary to have multiple guides to perform the same functions.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:28 AM
wgregoryl

Danny,

I was up most of the night trying to duplicate the programming in glider on my aircraft 9303, and you are right it is much more complex. Especially since in dual flap mode, the motor function is not available for the "spoiler" stick which is the throttle. I suppose it might be possible to get around that, I can't discover it. I ended up programming it in Acro as you suggested, and understood it much better the third time.

Question, I thought I read in previous posts that the software for Glider, Heli and acro are all the same regardless of the radio purchased, is that correct? Because, as I was doing the above, I found that camber mix and its associated functions was not an available choice. I was putting the flaps on the slide bar on the left of the transmitter, but camber mix was not available. Is this an omission? Or is my brain just totally dead?

Another question: in the acro mode, which aux channel is/are the slide switches on the sides of the transmitter.

Another one: Again, specifically in acro, if you inh a channel, ie Aux 2 which is the right hand 3 pos switch, because you are using it as a mate, does that disable the ability to use that switch for flight modes? I would like to keep access to the flap switch and use the Aux 3 for the flight modes.

Another one: How do you activate the flap trim? In the set up for the Ultra Stick as published, will activating it allow you to trim the flaps? Or since the flap switch is being used for flight modes, is that not possible?

Last question: How would you recommend putting the Elevator to Flap mixing on a seperate switch? Perhaps eliminating dual rate rudder and using that switch to activate it?

As you can see, I'm quite a bit more comfortable with the radio, but due to the time I spent learning and understanding it (my first programmable radio), I now have a Bazillion questions. Thank you for your patience so far, and thanks in advance for your time in answering the above questions.

Sincerely,

Greg Lotz
Old 10-13-2004, 02:29 PM
lex2bits
My Feedback: (12)

Danny.

I'm new to JR radios, and putr radios, so I need detailed instructions to help me figure out what does what.

The following are included in the 9303-Ultra Stick Programming Guide found on the Horizon site and appear to be somewhat less than complete.

Aileron to Flap Mixing
.....highlighted (it should say THRO), press down on the roller, rotate
the roller until FROL is highlighted, and press the roller again. Rotate the roller until MIX Mix? Where? is highlighted, and press the roller to move the shaded box to the top under MIX. Rotate the roller until you get to Pos1, Pos1? Where? and set both values to +100% by pressing the roller, then rotating the roller.............
What does Aileron to Flap Mixing do?

Flap to Aileron Mixing
.....until FPRN is highlighted, and press the roller again. Rotate the roller until FM2 FM2? Where? is
highlighted, and press the roller to move the shaded box to the top under FM2. Rotate the roller until
you get to Pos1, Pos1? Where? press down on the roller, Move the flap switch to the LAND or full down position
(Flight Mode 2) and set the percentage percentage? Where? as necessary to get the ailerons to move up ¾” as mentioned in..........
What does Flap to Aileron Mixing do?

My wife expects me to read between the lines, but I'm just not very good at it, as she can attest.
Also, I'm sure a lot of folks would appreciate someone fixing the Horizon Programming Guide too.
Thanks in advance for the much needed clarification.
Lex
Old 10-13-2004, 05:08 PM
wgregoryl

Aileron to Flap Mixing
.....highlighted (it should say THRO), press down on the roller, rotate
the roller until FROL is highlighted, and press the roller again. Rotate the roller until MIX Mix? Where? is highlighted, and press the roller to move the shaded box to the top under MIX. Rotate the roller until you get to Pos1, Pos1? Where? and set both values to +100% by pressing the roller, then rotating the roller.............
What does Aileron to Flap Mixing do?

Flap to Aileron Mixing
.....until FPRN is highlighted, and press the roller again. Rotate the roller until FM2 FM2? Where? is
highlighted, and press the roller to move the shaded box to the top under FM2. Rotate the roller until
you get to Pos1, Pos1? Where? press down on the roller, Move the flap switch to the LAND or full down position
(Flight Mode 2) and set the percentage percentage? Where? as necessary to get the ailerons to move up ¾” as mentioned in..........
What does Flap to Aileron Mixing do?

Danny, if I make a mistake below, I trust you will correct us both, but it is working on mine.

Lex, I can help here, believe it or not. Took me awhile to figure it out too, so don't feel bad. There is a line missing in the Ultra Stick/9303 .pdf instructions for both of those areas. After you have selected FROL, you need to rotate the wheel until SW Select is highlighted, press the wheel, and then the rest follows and will be obvious. Same is true for the Aileron to Flap mixing section. After selecting FPRN you have to rotate the roller/wheel until you highlight SW Select (Switch Select), press the wheel, and you will see FM2 and others. It flows fine with that addition.

Flap to aileron mixing allows you to use the flaps and ailerons as one long control surface for faster aileron rolls and I imagine faster snap rolls as well, more aileron authority in general. The flap moves in the same direction and at the same time as the aileron. Of course all of this assumes you have built the stick with flaps and ailerons instead of just ailerons.

Hope that makes sense, as you can see from my post above you, I managed to make it work on mine!!

Greg
Old 10-13-2004, 05:18 PM
wgregoryl

One more thing, the POS1 setting to +100% in the aileron to flap mixing is not required. It is already set on POS0 to 100% and no other change needs to be made.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:13 PM
lex2bits
My Feedback: (12)

Thanks Greg. That assures me that I was at least on the right track. I wasn't really sure after selecting FROL and FLPN, so I poked around until I found Switch Select and selected and clicked MIX and FM2 respectively. Things seemed to work, but I was at a loss to find Pos1 so I wasn't sure Switch Select was the proper entry point.

If not too much trouble, I'd still like to know how to access Pos1 for each . It'll help complete my understanding of these particular functions, and complete my quick reference chart. Like an A&P, I don't change, adjust or fix anything without "The Book" until memorized. The charts get a lot of use......... even my name evades me now and then.

Thanks also for the descriptions of what the functions do. Every manual should have this so we know where we are going, and the expected results.

Lex
Old 10-14-2004, 09:10 AM
wgregoryl

Lex,

Gonna have to send you back to the manual for that one, if I remember correctly, that is only available on some of the mixes, actuated by some of the switches. Basically, there are several points (not sure, think it was 7!) on an actuation curve where you can change from linear the mix with another channel.

I strongly suggest however, that you go to the Horizon site, and download and print the manual that is in the .pdf format. It seems to be much more all inclusive than the printed manual I received with my radio. It allowed me to find out about programming fail safe, which I swear I couldn't find in the printed manual. Also prints out in 8.5 x 11 which makes it much easier to read, and since it prints one sided, makes it much easier to add notes, IMHO!

Good luck!

Greg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.