Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Converting DS3421's to Plastic Gears

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 10:30 PM
AdrianM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converting DS3421's to Plastic Gears

I have 4 DS3421 metal gear servos and I love them. On 6v they are fast and have way more torque than standard servos. The only thing I don't like is the typical metal gear slop that has developed. I see there is a plastic gear version of the servo and I was wondering what kind of durability would I get out of my servos if I converted them all to SA gears?

They are currently used as Aileron servos in 2 90 size Pattern planes. The manufacturers of the planes all say that 42in./oz. servos are all thats necessary. Would plastic geared 3421's handle flight loads with no problem or should I stick with the metal gears?

If the plastic gears are ok can you please give me the part number so my LHS can order them for me?
Old 09-13-2004, 11:46 AM
dsnyder

Default RE: Converting DS3421's to Plastic Gears

The nylon gear train in a small servo such as the 3421 may not hold up to the flight loads of the ailerons of that size model. I would advise to stick with the metal gear train, or go to a larger servo. FYI, the part numbers for the nylon gear set are as follows:

JRPSG3421SA NYA GEAR SET: 3421SA This is the SA gear train, but is not in stock yet.
JRPSG321 GEAR SET:S321,S3021,S3121 (1) This is the same nylon gears w/o the metal output gear, and is in stock.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:43 PM
AdrianM

Default RE: Converting DS3421's to Plastic Gears

Thanks Danny!