Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Concerns about moving up to an X-388S

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2004, 09:30 AM
wtchmkr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Concerns about moving up to an X-388S

Hello,

I began this hobby with a JR XF 421 where I fly electric park flyers, and a fixed pitch micro heli. I have a chance to obtain a JR X-388s, but I have a few concerns:

- I believe the radio was purchased overseas with a channel/frequency of 53.700 MHz. Will I be able to buy rx crystals for micro receivers? If so, where? I live in Canada.
- Will I need to change the rx as well as the crystal to fly my current parkflyers?
- Will I be able to connect the two radios in a buddy box configuration? Does it matter that my 421 is 72 MHz and the 388S is 53.700MHz?

The radio looks impressive, but should I get this specific one?
Sincerely,
Alex.
Old 10-11-2004, 10:42 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Concerns about moving up to an X-388S

53.700 is channel A7 and is a legal channel, though we generally recommend customers to not use the 53 Mhz band due to many issues with radio interferance problems. You can change the system to 72 Mhz by installing a new module on the channel of your choice. The options of park flyer receivers and crystals for 53 Mhz are limited, I see that we have the 770 receiver listed as a part number which works well for many park flyers, but other options are limited. Yes, you would be able to use the system in a buddy box set up with your 421. The 388 is an older system and has been discontinued for some time, but generally customers liked the system.
Old 10-11-2004, 04:09 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

53.700 is a Ham only channel in Canada as it is in the United States. Unless you have a Ham ticket it could not be used. You can buy the 72 mhz module and use the transmitter on the licesnse fee channels (11-60). I have had a 388 for a long time and routinely change between my 50 mhz module and 72 mhz module with no problems.

Rich
AD9V
Old 10-14-2004, 05:08 PM
wtchmkr

Thanks.
I'd like to buy the 72MHz module, but the part number I'm giving to my LHS isn't comming up. NET-J53P; is that the overseas part number? What do I order?
Alex.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:48 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The part number to order would be JRPTXM** where you replace the ** with the channel number you want it on.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:54 AM
sar_guy

Hi Guys,

Instead of starting a new thread I thought that I would ask a question here first in hopes that I can get an answer from you. I just purchased a "New To Me" gas helo ARF which came with a JR X-388. The radio looks to be in great shape but it came with no literature. I was wondering if you know where I can get a manual for it. I have searched the web and so far I have come up negative. I don't want to take the helo out to fly until I can check that the previous owner had the radio set up right.

Cheers Barry