Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Dual rate split causes trim change 8103

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Bobby likes 3D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual rate split causes trim change 8103

Hey Danny, I just developed a problem with my Radio. If I set my dual rates for a large split as you would with a 3D setup, elevator neutral point changes with a change in dual rate. This phenomenon occurs on all models I'm the memory regardless of mixing or no mixing on the elevator channel only. My 8103 has never done this in the past and is about 7 years old. I have read several posts that JR customers are experiencing this same problem. Is this a common occurrence with JR radios? I assume I will have to send the radio to a service center for repair. Can you tell me where the nearest service center to Chicago. Also, what kind of time frame would I be able to expect to have the radio back?

Thanks,

Bobby
Old 02-21-2006, 09:00 PM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dual rate split causes trim change 8103

You radio is about 7yrs old and never been serviced. Chances are the elevator pot is worn and this is causing the trim change with the dual rate switch. This is a common thing on all radios when they have worn pots. I would recommend, depending on your amount of flying, to send the TX in for service at least every other year.

I fly a huge amount and get my TX's serviced every year. I put about 500-700 flights on a TX in a year. The service guys will re-zero the gimbals and tune it all up. About every other year they replace the gimbal pots. These are the parts of the TX that move and they can wear out.

The pots are not subjected to vibration like servo pots in the models but they still wear. As their resistance changes the centers will drift and the result can be seen in a trim change with the dual rate switch especially if you high and low rate are far apart in terms of travel.

You being in Chicago area the "in the mail" time will be low and you should have your TX back in very short order. Depends of course on how busy the guys in Service are right now. They will take great care of you.

Another note you lithium battery is probably due for a replacement. I think the 8103 has the lithium backup battery and these should be replaced about every 5-7 yrs.

Good Flying,

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 02-22-2006, 12:13 PM
Bobby likes 3D

Thanks Troy, Will JR know to replace the Lithium battery or should I ask them to do that?

Bobby
Old 02-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

They will check it out...I would ask them to change it just to make sure. Give them some history of the system. The more info the better in terms of the type of use and how much. This gives them ideas where to go look for worn out parts.

They can run some diagnostics on the system and see things you can't so they'll take care of you.

The JR service guys are very diligent.

Troy Newman
Team JR
Old 02-23-2006, 09:59 AM
John Murdoch
My Feedback: (11)

One thing I've noticed in with the issue you've presented is if you use a lot of sub-trim, then it really affects the way the neutral sets in the different rates. Try this, if you can, change your sub-trim to 0, even though the surfaces aren't really at neutral. Then change your rate switch to see if there's a noticable difference. If there's not, then try to set your plane up mechanically/manually with the least amount of sub-trim possible.

I'm no expert but I messed around with this problem and found that zeroing the sub-trim worked for me.