Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Big Problem with my JR 9X II Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 08:39 PM
coolmx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Problem with my JR 9X II Radio

Hi Guys

I am wondering if anybody can help me with this. My JR 9XII radio suddenly when dead. When i swtich on the radio, no sound beep and only a black screen on the LCD screen. Before this i was using it and it functions perfectly ok. The only thing i notice is that when i try to change the models under the system menu, a lot of funny characters will appear.

Can anyone please comment, what could be the problem?

Thanks
Old 05-17-2006, 08:42 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Big Problem with my JR 9X II Radio

I would recommend contacting Hobby Shack for assistance, the number I have listed for them is 65-532-7892.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:36 PM
coolmx

ORIGINAL: dsnyder

I would recommend contacting Hobby Shack for assistance, the number I have listed for them is 65-532-7892.
Hi Danny

Do you have the slightest idea what could be wrong with it? I was not able to get them on the phone, thus am awaiting a reply from them via email. The problem is i am not sure if they will be repairing my TX locally or sending it over to Japan or Horizon instead.

Please advise.

Thanks
Kelvin
Old 05-18-2006, 02:08 AM
flybye33

The other worrying cause of crashes is the intermittant failure of radios.

As some of you may know I am a degreed electrical engineer with 30 plus years in the industry (State manager for National Semiconductors at one stage) and I have currently a particular intermittant problem with my PCM9 TX dropping the RF output!!! Changed to a synth module with no improvement. Been right over it, seems to be more of a firmware problem.

Like all such problems you can't replicate it on demand. It's been back to the importers twice. And ..."no fault found"
Yesterday I lost another model. Close in, engine suddenly fullpower and frozen controls. TX held high, quick glance to check battery OK, but nothing and the inevitable crash. That's now 2 in a matter of months. Rebooting the TX fixes the problem but by the time you realize what's happened it's much too late !

Many have witnessed the Kangaroo on occasions refuse to accept the TX input on ground range check. Multiplex 12 ch Synth Rx with great range ! Wait 1 minute and switch on again and all's well. It's happened in different models with a JR600RX on FM, JR9SPCM and the new JR10PCM RX so it's got to be the Transmitter but no one can find anything.

So new a TX is in the wind.

Any one have any experience with the Multiplex transmitters ?
My Multiplex RX has almost twice the ground range of the JR PCM receivers in all tests I have done so that's the way I'm leaning.
Old 05-18-2006, 09:05 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like some sort of a CPU problem, but you will not know until you have the system serviced.

Sorry to hear of the problems, and the loss of your aircraft, but lets keep this thread on JR, this is the JR support forum, not Multiplex.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Mac_Man_UK

Flybye,

One possibility is the on/off switch. Because of the way that the radio feeds power to the RF Circuits, it is possible ( in fact I have just repaired a 3810 with this fault) that the CPU etc will have power applied to it but the power to the module is intermittant.

[8D]
Old 05-21-2006, 06:11 PM
flybye33

Thanks Mac M, why would the Battery display read though ? If the switch is intermittent wouldn't that then disrupt the display ? Battery voltage was reading 10.5 volts.

Looks like I'm going with a new 9XS2 as I have three other JR PCM Rx's so the cost becomes the deciding factor.
(Tongue in cheek mode now,) Is the 9xS2 manual better than the original 9x manual ? That was only the bare minimum and not as good as *some* others. Loved the 388 manual.
Old 05-21-2006, 06:29 PM
Mac_Man_UK

The battery voltage is displayed via the CPU (hence the reson why the CPU needs to be calibrated every now and then), as I said earlier the raw battery supply is split into 2 seperate paths via the on/off switch. One path is purely for the Electronics and the other is purely for the RF Module section.

Regarding the manual, well it was written by the Ozzies so any complaints.....

The 9X (original) was written in a rush by a large section of 1 person.

Old 05-29-2006, 05:09 AM
coolmx

Dear All

Just for your info, i received a confirmation from JR Propo Japan that the motherboard of my JR9XII is faulty. They has replaced it and will be sending it back to me via EMS tomorrow.

To Flybye33 - I would suggest you send it to JR Propo Japan if Horizon is not able to help you with your problem with the transmitter.

Regards
Kelvin
Old 05-29-2006, 05:28 AM
Mac_Man_UK

Thanks for the update coolmx,

Old 03-04-2007, 10:18 PM
planeobsession

Hi Flybye
I realise this is an old post, but did you ever find out the cause of your JR 9X II intermittant fault?? I seem to be having a similar problem with my 9x II. My radio will intermittantly drop transmission (for about 3-5 seconds) and then resume transmission. Always full batteries, and no indication on display that voltage has dropped for the intermittant period. I am using the 10DS PCM receiver. I originally thought it was the receiver at fault, but have bought another receiver, and again I have experienced the fault. All metal push rods in the plane are insulated so this is not the problem. Also, I have observed the problem with the plane at my feet with the engine off. Only a matter of time before I lose a plane!! I have decided to stop flying with it and switch back to my 2610. I will send it off for repair, but as you pointed out, the problem has to be replicated to be able to repair it. Does this problem sound the same as you were having, and did you ever get it fixed??
There's nothing worse than losing confidence in your radio hey??
Old 03-05-2007, 04:59 AM
Mac_Man_UK

Chris, out of curiosity how old is your 9XII ? Is it still under warranty ?

Here in the UK, I have only had 1 suspect intermittant Tx, couldnt find anything wrong with it so I replaced the entire Transmitter for safety sake and stripped the "old" one down for spare parts.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:03 PM
instructor_phil

JR 9xII Trasmission problem....

Hi everyone.
I was just doing a web search regarding problems with the JR 9xII when I came across this post.
I am from England, but I am now living in Phuket, Thailand. Where I still enjoy my hobby and fly with a local club.
Last week and Just this afternoon, my JR 9xII suffered the same problem. I have downed my E-flite mini Edge 540 3D and T-Rex 450 se two times now and its getting to be very annoying.
At first I thought there was some kind of interference from some local transmissions, so I decided to do some controlled test flights, trying to be ready for the unexpected. Here in Thailand there doesn't seem to be any regulation on frequencies used, many they fly on 72Mhz, then 40Mhz and some like me on 35Mhz.
After setting up my T-Rex for the second time and changing the receiver from a RS77S to a RS10DS, I started to do some slow circuits, firstly I would get the occasional violent twitch and short drop in power, but then I decided to set my throttle fail safe to hold only, this stop the violent twitch, which would happen every 1-2 minutes or so. This now told me that with fail safe cutting in, there must be a problem with my signal from the 9xII Transmitter, No other signals were being received by my heli, and otherwise I would have seen some erratic flight changes. Only fail safe hold would come on. Today it did just that, flying of on the last inputs it received, and slowly banking into a dive for the hard stuff. BOOM.

Now I am going to contact my JR supplier in Bangkok and ask him to look into the problem. I just bought a new RS10DS from him thinking that was the prob. But seeing your posts on here has helped me conclude the real problem.
By the way, my LiPo pack still had more than half its charge when my heli crashed, it only took 15 minutes to fully charge again. I wasn't doing any battery draining 3D, only gentle test flying.
Pre-flight Radio check was done at 80mtrs with antenna down, no probs.

I hope to see some more posts on the 9xII probs, I am sure that there are more of the same out there, but maybe you’re not sure what is happening. So try some easy slow test flights and if you have plenty of vertical space between your model and the ground, maybe and only maybe you will have time to turn off and on your transmitter to save the day !!!

All the best, Phil.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:45 PM
planeobsession

Hi Mac M and Phil,
I'm going to check warranty status tonight. It's been roughly a year since I purchased the transmitter. I will be sending it back to the dealer here in Australia tomorrow. After reading Phil's post it definitely seems to be the same fault. I have bought a new battery pack for the transmitter, but this hasn't helped. I carry out regular pre-flight checks including having the aerial down, with the engine running, and standing up to 100 metres away. The fault has not occurred while carrying out these checks. Even more frustrating is the fact that it doesn't happen every weekend while flying, which makes it that much harder to pinpoint.

I have been a loyal customer of JR for many years without one problem, but this one is certainly worrying me. I'll let you know what the dealer says - thanks for the replies Mac M and Phil.