Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR Matchbox

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 02:00 PM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JR Matchbox

I have a Hangar 9 P47 150. I also have a 9303 radio and a 649 receiver. I have traditionally mixed 2 channels for Ailerons, 2 channels for Elevators. In this case, I mixed 2 channels for Gear, so I could slow down the mechanical retracts and make on go up or down before the other. I put Flaps on a reversing Y. When it was apparent that the Y was picking up some RF noise and causing one of the Flaps to jitter, I replaced the Y with a Matchbox. The jittering stopped.

Since this was the first time I have used a Matchbox, I was unfamiliar with it's setup. The Flaps are set up on a 3 position switch. I connected the Right Flap Servo to position 1 on the Matchbox. I connected the Left Flap Servo to position 2 on the Matchbox. With the Flaps UP, I turned the dial on the Matchbox to position 5. I pressed the Incrememt Button, but the Flap servo did not Reverse. I tried it several times and called Horizon for help. I was told that pressing the Increment Button, when the dial was set to 5-8, would Reverse the selected servo. I was only able to Reverse the servo when the Flap switch was set in the middle (half flap) position. The instruction page for the Matchbox states that the Transmitter Stick needs to be at Neutral. In this case, there is no real Neutral for the Flap Switch.

What is the proper method?
Old 07-13-2006, 12:46 PM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: JR Matchbox

For the flap switch center position is "neutral". Did you try pressing the - button instead of the + to reverse it? In that set up, number 5 on the dial would be used to reverse the servo plugged into "channel" 1 and number 6 on the dial for the servo in number 2, etc.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
BuschBarber

Yes!!! I found that when I set the Flap switch to the Center position, and pressed the + or - Increment button, the servo would reverse. I assume that means that if I were using the Matchbox on any other channel, that the stick would have to be in Neutral before the servo could be reversed? What if I have two mechanical retract servos? There is no Neutral on the gear channel? If I plug the Matchbox into a channel where the stick can be set to Neutral, and then reverse a servo, does that position on the Matchbox stay reversed no matter what other channel you plug that Matchbox into? In other words, the Reverse setting is programmed into the Matchbox and this setting affects any servo plugged into the position on the Matchbox where the Reverse setting took place?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:39 AM
dsnyder

It should work fine without being in "neutral". Yes it does. As long as you return the dial to '0' before disconecting battery power.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:35 PM
BuschBarber

OK!! I am a slight bit confused. Are you saying that when I turn the Matchbox dial to position 5, 6, 7, or 8, I can press the Increment button and Reverse the servo connected to position 5, 6, 7, or 8,, even if the Stick for that channel is Not at Neutral?

I tried Flap Position 0, 1, and 2, on my 9303, and the servo would only Reverse when the Flap Switch was in the middle (position 1).

I have come to the realization that in some cases, Elevator channel for example, I can use the Matchbox plugged in to the Elevator channel on the Receiver, instead of putting each Elevator servo on a separate channel and mixing them in the Transmitter. This would free up a channel. I have not seen anyone utilize the Ailevator function to make Elevator Halves move like Ailerons (except for Elevons or Tailerons on Jets}.

I currently put the Mechanical Retract Servos, on my Hangar 9 P47 150, on separate channels, so I can utilize the feature in the 9303 that lets me slow the speed of one Retract Servo more than the other, for that scale effect. I do not believe I can change the speed of each Retract servo with the Matchbox?
Old 07-17-2006, 09:06 AM
dsnyder

Most retract servos are not proportional, so therefore you would not be able to change the speed in either set up. However, no, with the matchbox you can not change the speed of movement.