Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

X2610 and CROW

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 03:34 AM
sandra.mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X2610 and CROW

I live in UK and I have owned a JR X2610 for the last couple of years. This radio is identical radio to the XP6102 that you market in the States. Up to now I’ve had a great deal of success in setting up the system for general sport flying, but I’ve recently bought a Great Planes Spirit 100 glider with the intention of using it with Aerotow.

The instructions for the glider talk of setting up CROW i.e. when the ailerons pitch up as the flaps descend. I have tried a number of combinations in the mixing sections all without success. Can you please help me?

I have one aileron on the aileron channel and the other aileron on the Aux 1 (flap) channel. The flaps are connected to a ‘Y’ lead on the throttle channel. The Rudder and Elevator are normal. The Gear channel will be used for tow release. Is this the the right configuration or do you suggest a better alternative.

I would be most grateful for any advice to solve the problem. It may not be solvable of course.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:33 AM
dsnyder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: X2610 and CROW

I believe you could use the Hangar 9 ultra stick programming to set that up. Below is a guide for that aircraft, I think you should be able to use this as a starting point.

To start with, plug your servos into the correct channels. Below is a listing of what servo to plug into each channel.

Ch. 1 Throttle
Ch. 2 Right Aileron
Ch. 3 Elevator
Ch. 4 Rudder
Ch. 5 Flaps (Use a reversing Y harness or matchbox for the 2 servos) (Listed as Gear Channel on Receiver)
Ch. 6 Left Aileron (Listed as Aux 1 on Receiver)

System Set-Up Mode

To begin setting up the transmitter, press and hold the down and select buttons together, and turn the 6102 on, then release the down and select keys. Press the down button until you get to MODEL SEL, and select the model number that you want the ultra stick on by pressing the increase or decrease keys. Now press the down key until you see MODEL TYPE. Then press the increase key if the type is set to helicopter, or leave at aircraft if it is already set as aircraft, and then press the select key. Then press the clear key to reset that model to factory defaults. Press the down key once to get to the MODEL NAME screen. Name the model as desired, and use the 6102 manual as a guide on how to do this. Press the down key twice and it will bring you to WING TYPE screen. With the arrow pointing at Flaperon, press the increase key to turn the Flaperon ON. It should say V-Tail OFF under the Flaperon. You can now press the down key until you get to MODULATION selection which it will either say SPCM or PPM. Match this to the receiver type you are using. Then press the down key until you get to SWITCH SEL. Here you can set your dual rates to the switch of your choice, and also the gear channel and flap channel. You can either choose different switches for the gear and the flap, so that you can have a position with no flaps, take off flaps, as well as crow, or you can choose just one switch for both functions but you can then only have a position for no flaps and for crow. Consult your 6102 manual if you have any questions on assigning the switches.

Function Mode

Next we will set up the function mode of transmitter. If you are still in the system mode, just press the down and select keys together twice, or turn the radio off and back on, and press the down and select keys together again. This will get you into the function mode.
Set your servo reversing correctly so that each surface goes the correct direction. Do this by pressing the up key until you get to a screen that says REVERSING SW. Press the select key to change the channel being changed, and press the increase or decrease keys to change the direction.
Set your Dual Rates and Expo as you desire. Press the DOWN key to get to D/R and EXP, and press the select key once to adjust the expo, and twice to adjust the dual rates. Press the select key to select the channel to be adjusted, and press the increase or decrease keys to adjust the values. Always use a positive value for expo, as a negative value will make the control response more sensitive around center and could cause you to over control the plane and crash. 30 percent expo on aileron, and 25% on elevator and rudder is recommended to start with. Set your dual rates around 70% to start with, and change to your tastes.
Set the sub trims as required leveling the control surfaces. Press the UP key until you get to the SUB TRIM screen. Press the select key to select the channel to be adjusted, and press the increase or decrease keys to adjust the values. Do try to keep these as close to zero as possible. Using too much sub trim can result in running out of travel on the servos, and the possibility of over-driving the servos.
Set the travel adjustments such that you get the control movements required. Consult your Ultra Stick manual for the required control surface travels. You may need to use 1” long servo arms to achieve the maximum travels listed in the manual. Try to use as high a travel adjustment value possible to achieve the throws so that you use as much of the servos travel as possible. Press the UP key until you get to the TRAVEL ADJ screen. Press the select key to select the channel to be adjusted, and press the increase or decrease keys to adjust the values.
To start setting up the advanced features of the Ultra Stick, we need to center the arms on each servo to the exact center position with the arm perpendicular to the servo itself. Do this with each of the gimbals in the center, the trims centered, and the switch selected for the gear channel and flap channel set away from you or the up position if using the dual rate switches. The throttle servo you will set the arm as needed for you installation when setting up the throttle.

Mixing Elevator to Flap

Press the UP key until the screen says ELE -> F MX. Press the select key one time, and press the increase or decrease key and select the switch position that you would like to have this active. It is best to use a different switch than was set for the gear and flaps in the system mode switch selection from earlier. Now press the select key again to take you back to the rate set up. Set the switch you selected so that the screen says ON in the upper right hand corner. Now press the increase key while holding up elevator until you get to about 35 percent. If the flaps go up, reverse the value from +35 to –35. Now push down elevator, and press the increase key to 35. If the flaps go down, reverse the value from +35 to –35. This will give you flaps mixed to the elevator for tight loops, etc.

Setting up Crow and Mixing Flap to Elevator

Press the up key until you come to a screen saying FLAP SYSTEM. Here you can adjust the amount and direction of the ailerons in crow by adjusting the percentage with the increase or decrease key with the arrow pointing at FLAP. For the elevator compensation with crow, press the select key one time. Now activate crow by whatever switch combination you have chosen, and press the increase or decrease keys as necessary to get the down elevator compensation mentioned in the manual. To adjust the amount of flap movement, go to the travel adjust function, and adjust the gear channel travel as needed.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:03 AM
sandra.mike

Hi Danny

Thanks for your response which I have gone through line by line. It’s great for someone who doesn’t really understand the manual, but it unfortunately it doesn't really solve my dilemma. I did find the previous posting but concluded that it probably solved the Ultra Stick question but didn't really help me.

The first point that caused a bit of confusion with me is that in your last paragraph when you have Flaperon selected in the System mode you do not have the FLAP SYSTEM page available in the Function Mode. Adjusting the percentage in the DIFFERENTIAL page clearly only adjusts the aileron differential giving more movement on the down aileron than the up aileron.

Your second last paragraph also confuses me. Why use the Program MiXing 1 function for Elevator to Flap mixing when that function is available on a page of its own i.e. ‘ELEv Flap MIXing’?

I would like to return to my problem where I have glider using 2 servos, one on each wing, for aileron control using the Flaperon function. I also have 2 independent flaps working together using a ‘Y’ harness, plus one servo each for elevator and rudder control and 1 servo for tow release.

CROW as I understand it is a means of putting the ‘brakes on’ to get the glider down quicker should it get stuck in a thermal etc.. To achieve this, I am told, as you lower the flaps the mean point of the ailerons increases. You still have control of the ailerons but they also act as an airbrake. At the moment I have achieved this by hooking up the flaps to the throttle channel, which gives me the bonus of proportional flaps and then I’ve used Mix 1 to link the Throttle to the Flap using the Left Rear switch to action the effect. The only problem I have is that I do not have independent control of the Flap movement and the ‘Up’ aileron effect required for the CROW braking. I would like to have one switch controlling the Flaps and a second switch give this ‘Up’ aileron movement as and when needed. Is there a way of achieving my goal or will I have to be satisfied with the combined effect?

Thanks for your time. It is a great radio and hasn’t missed a beat in the 18 months I have used it.

Mike
Old 01-21-2008, 09:31 AM
dsnyder

Differential decreases the down going aileron travel. If you follow the flaperon and crow set up discussed in the programming I posted above, you should be set.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:38 PM
sandra.mike

Hi Danny

I have followed your instructions to the letter but the main stumbling block I find is that if you select FLAPERON in the system setup (1st paragraph in your response), the FLAP SYSTEM page (last paragraph) is not available for that aircraft configuration and you cannot therefore adjust the percentage as you suggest, or am I missing something fundemental to the process?

Mike
Old 01-23-2008, 09:17 AM
dsnyder

Have you inhibited the flaps in the switch select function?
Old 02-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Herd33

Hi Danny,

I have crow setup as you described. So far, so good.

I would like to do a throttle mix whereby when I go to 1/2 throttle my crow is neutralized. Would I mix throttle to flaps to do this?

Thanks for any directions/suggestions.

Herd33
Old 02-19-2008, 03:36 PM
dsnyder

Yes, to do that you would mix throttle to flaps.