Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Can I cycle the batteries in my Spektrum DX6i Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 12:16 AM
3D Romeo
My Feedback: (111)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I cycle the batteries in my Spektrum DX6i Radio?

Hi,

Can I cycle the batteries in my Spektrum DX6i Radio using the charge port, or is there circuitry to prevent this?

Just wondering, because I know trying to cycle the batteries in the original Spektrum 6 channel radio would blow the fuse. I had to remove the batteries in order to cycle them.

I know NiMh batteries don't need to be cycled like NiCad's to prevent memory, but I still like to cycle them every now and then to check their condition.

Thank You,

Mark
Old 03-19-2008, 10:15 PM
MikeC557

Default RE: Can I cycle the batteries in my Spektrum DX6i Radio?

Mark

I just bought the DX6i and am wondering what you mean by cycle the batteries.

My JR 652, which is about 5 years old, is still on its original battery... though I'm not sure if its NiMh or Nicad, its not where I can go look. Ditto my 6i.

Mike
Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 PM
3D Romeo

Mike,

The word 'cycle', as it pertains to batteries, simply means to discharge the cells, and then charge them back up again. In the old days of NiCds, this was done to prevent 'memory' in the cells, and to determine the condition of the battery pack. Since NiMh cells don't suffer from 'memory', like NiCd's do, cycling is usually just done to determine the condition of the batteries.

I guess the easiest way to ask the same question is...Can the batteries in the Spektrum DX6i be discharged through the charge port on the transmitter, or do the batteries need to be taken out of the transmitter to discharge them?

Thank You,

Mark
Old 03-25-2008, 05:58 PM
SeaComms

Short answer is no.

I wanted to charge mine using an intelligent charger that shuts off via Delta V detection (Imax B6). When connected, everything looked good then within a second it says connection break.

I pulled it apart, being the curious person I am, and there is a diode in series with the earth leg of the charge circuit, to prevent reverse polarity connection. If you are really keen, you can unsolder the negative pin of the charge lead from where it solders to the board and resolder to the bottom of the diode that is just below it (the diode looks like a black box, about 1.5mm wide by about 4 mm long).

Mine now charges and discharges quite happily.

NOTE: I would imagine this will void your warranty, and it also removes the reverse charge polarity protection.

Cheers, Dave.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:39 PM
3D Romeo

Thanks Dave!

I kind of thought that it would have a diode in it just like the original DX6. I just wanted to make sure before doing anything that could have damaged it.

I also don't have a problem with the warranty, as I've probably already voided it by rewiring the charge jack. All my chargers are wired with the polarity reversed. So the first thing I do with all my Spektrum and JR radios is reverse the wires on the charge jack.

Looks like I got a little more soldering to do, now that I know what to look for.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 03-26-2008, 08:39 AM
Piet Le Roux

It is true that NiHm does not have the memory problems that NiCads has but it does lose capacity when its stored for long periods. When it is then used again it will charge up to the correct voltage but will not last long. To restore its capacity it must be cycled a few times . When you discharge them do not let the voltage drop below 1 volt per cell (8 volt per TX pack) Simply leaving the TX on with the antenna extended is the easy way to achieve this. Another characteristic of NiMh is that they have a high self discharge rate and can lose up to 10% of its charge in the first 24 hours so its best to charge them just before you use them.