Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Saw 2 planes go in today-Spectrum

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:34 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Saw 2 planes go in today-Spectrum

There are some good inexpensive chargers for conditioning / checking on your packs, it's nice to have the piece of mind of knowing when a battery is two years or three years old, those are especially times to monitor them closely. But I still use my Wall-wart charger when I just want to plug them in and forget them for a couple of days. I use some bigger 6-Volt packs, some are 4000 mAh, and if you do the math, overnight just doesn't give them time to fully recharge if they're down. In truth, they're so sizable that they rarely are down enough to be of note. Overnight usually will do it, but I always give them some extra time when I can.
My expensive chargers were stolen when my house was robbed a couple of years ago, but just the other day at a swap meet I bought a couple of chargers that monitor the battery's condition. Paid 10 bucks for one, 15 for the other. One is good at the field.

I think your Wall-wart is fine for now, but I would get a multimeter and check the battery and get used to what it reads after each flight or after two flights, just to get to know what you're looking at. Radio Shack sells a good digital self-selecting meter for not too much and it's a pretty good one. You don't have to have it right this second, it's just a tool you can plan on getting and learning how to use.

If you never had a problem with the 4.8 Volt then I think you're in good shape. Knowing a little more about your equipment never hurts, though.

Jim
Old 02-25-2009, 06:44 AM
ChiefK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like good advice. Can you give me a couple of product names and sources?

Greg
Old 02-25-2009, 07:40 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Why, sure!

The charger I just got at the swap meet was an E-Flight Pinnacle charger. It does 1 to 14 cells, it is a peak prediction charger. I think that basically it senses what it is attached to and can monitor what it is doing throughout the charge process. It states that it Charges, discharges and trickle charges NiCad and Ni-MH batteries. It comes with Receiver, BEC, TX, and Tamiya charge leads, and banana plug connectors and battery clamp extensions, although mine came without all of those. The realities of swap meets. Let's see what else. It can charge from .2 Amp (200 mAh) to 5 Amp (5000 mAh). Turns out this one runs from a 12V car battery (not included!), so at first I put a little table near my lawn tractor battery and hooked up to it. I charge the battery once in a while with a regular car battery charger, but you can charge your plane batteries for weeks off a big battery like that with very little power drain. This battery has a handle on it and I keep it loose because I use it at the field for various things, so I move it around where it is needed. 20 bucks at Wal-Mart for the same size battery, 30 for the one with the handle. Obviously you can make do with an extension from your own car battery, the possibilities are endless.

You can usually find a variety of these at almost any swap meet, and if you're not too obviously pumped up and you make a low offer you can probably get it fairly cheap. I got mine for about 15 bucks in brand-new condition, except for the removed leads.

I just ran off to another site and found it being sold new for 79 bucks, so even then you're not in bad shape. Not much more than the cost of a single good battery pack. Here's the link I found: http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLC2015

Hope that link works for you.

I was raised by a pretty wonderful man who loved flying but always believed that you're never too rich to save a few dollars if you're careful. He taught me that knowing your equipment, paying attention to detail in your linkages and your radio gear will make a model fly better and safer than throwing dollars at it. I'd like to think that my swap-meet Pinnacle is just another small bit of testimony to his teachings. We will be laying him to rest on Friday. As long as I will ever fly planes I'll have him looking over my shoulder (pinching pennies!). It's a great hobby, ChiefK, I think you'll have some real fun with it, and there are some good friends to be made out there.

Hope this has been some help to you.

Jim
Old 02-25-2009, 09:04 AM
ChiefK

Thanks a lot Jim. I'm really pleased that you have such positive memories of that man who raised you. Now you are passing along his teaching. Good on you.

Greg
Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: ChiefK

I don't know. I have simple needs. I don't mind (in fact I prefer) charging my batteries at home. I usually fly 4 or 5X max (for 10-12 minutes max). I've not had any battery problems so far (not even when I was using the 4.8v battery). I just want to be sure I have a full charge when I go out. If my "walwart" charger won't do it, I'm asking for advice on what kind of charger it will take. I don't know what an A123 cell is. I've never had to carry a voltage regulator and the added weight it probably represents. My 5 battery packs are made with AA cells. One of the guys in my club makes them from Kodak AA rechargeable batteries. It says they are NiMH 2500 mAh min. Other than that, I am clueless. The Spektrum charger says "Output RX DC 5.8V 110mA". What does all that mean?

Greg
Okay I have to ask; did you read any of the information on the links I provided?

The first link I gave you talks specifically about battery packs made with high impedence cells and that's what you've got. Basically anything in a AA size cell with over 1650 mah ratings will be a high impedence cell. Those cells can have issues with delivering the required current (amperage) for multiple servos and depending on what you're flying and the size of the servos, that may be a real issue. Also those cells require slow charging to prevent damaging them and a 110 mah walwart qualifies since you want to stay below 1/10C on the charge rate. However, as I noted in my first post, your current walwart does not put out enough voltage to charge 5 cell packs adequately. A 5 cell pack at 5.8 volts is basically dead.

Voltage and amperage as expressed by the "mah" or milliamp hour rating, are two different things and you need both to be sufficient for your model's needs. In this case, you have a walwart putting out 5.8 volts to charge a four cell 4.8 volt pack. Now you've gone to a five cell pack that's 6.0 volts so it's going to need more than 6.0 volts to charge it, in fact five cell packs come off the charger at over 7 volts and quite quickly drop into the mid 6 volt range. Once they get close to an even 6 volts with a loaded volt meter check, they need to be recharged.

You need a voltmeter capable of applying a load to the batteries for voltage checks and a different charger for your packs. You should be checking the battery voltage before each flight to verify that nothing has gone wrong in the meantime like a faulty servo, a bad switch, perhaps a bad cell in the battery pack, binding servo linkages etc. all of which can pull a lot of power out of a pack and if you don't check 'em, you won't know it's happened.

I've been accused of being harsh with some of my answers; perhaps so, but I'm trying to save guys some grief and lost models and if I succeed then I'm more than happy to accept the criticism. 99% of the issues with the Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz radios are related to the power system even thought lots of guys will try to blame it on something else, usually the radio. You REALLY need to spend some time getting up to speed on some basic electrical stuff here or you're going to have difficulties.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:27 AM
ChiefK

I did go to both the sites you recommended. Your current response is much more straight forward and understandable. Thanks.

Now.... if you can recommend an appropriate product that will resolve this issue, that would help too. I could take a shot at it but I don't know that market and I don't know who makes cost effective and reliable products.

I do sincerely appreciate your help, and a blunt response doesn't bother me.

Greg
Old 02-25-2009, 11:55 AM
Zeeb

Walwarts capable of charging 6 volt flight packs are a bit difficult to find and don't have a very high output at all, something similar to what you have in mah ratings are VERY hard to come by.

Technically, the ideal charger for a 2500 mah battery would be one that puts out 250 mah's or 1/10C. Most of what I've seen is in the area of 60 to 75 mah. Those will work, but it will be many hours trying to charge a 2500 mah pack.

There are a few different ones here;

http://www.radicalrc.com/shop/?shop=...2359655&cat=58

Horizon does not offer one and NoBS shows one on their website, but a note that it's backordered.

This issue is one of the things I was saying about a personal preference. While it may cost you more right now, I suggest that if you intend to keep playing with RC "toys".... That you invest in a better charger. There are literally a grundle of them available in the price range of the one mentioned by TexasSkyPilot and you may even opt for that particular one. Others here might have other suggestions and I won't offer one because my chargers are somewhat more diversified and unfortunately spendy, so I've kind of lost track of what's available in that price range.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:56 AM
Mr. Mugen

Is any of this off topic at all? 2 planes went in using spektrum radio's and the guy was chased off by? It's one thign to love your radio but understand that not all radio's are the same...even if made by the same mfgr. Such things as different components can make a big difference in how your radio worked for you and how his may have worked for him. I witnessed the same thing last year at our field with a guy using a 2.4 spektrum radio. Turns out on the same day I had the same thing happen using 72mhz in the same place his went in. You can ask til your blue in the face if my switches were of quality and if my batteries were charged and still be in the same place you started..... Try helping a fellow r/cer instead of driving him out of here. Another good reason to stay away from HH products....the crown that follows them around can be quite _________.

Just an opinion,
Kevin
Old 03-08-2009, 12:10 PM
mgraham
My Feedback: (1)

I came to this post to see if my crash yesterday was similar to any other's experience. I am a big 2.4 GHZ advocate because it frees us from co-channel interference and provides a level of security and safety from someone "turning on", and 72 MHZ is much more susceptible to man-made RF and harmonics, including ignition pulses. I have a DX7 transmitter that is a couple of years old, 3 AR7000 receivers, and 2 AR6100 receivers in my electric planes. I have never had a problem until yesterday. The facts:
I was flying an 87" wingspan SU 26 with a DA50 for power. I had flown it 6 or 7 times, and was on that "last flight" for the day. I flew for 9 minutes or so and was setting up to land. There are trees about 100 yards from the end of our runway and the plane was just at the edge of the field when it did a barrel roll and spun in, impacting almost vertical from about 40 feet of altitude. I walked out to the plane with my radio on, and when I got there I heard the servos singing, so the receiver was still powered. The left elevator half was at full down and the servo was stalled, the right was about neutral. The ailerons were neutral. The receiver did not respond to transmitter inputs. I turned off the receiver, dug my DA50 out of the ground, and carried the carcass back to the pit. I turned on the receiver when I got to a table, and it locked up and worked like it just came out of the box. The rest of the facts:
My receiver is powered by a 4.8V, 3600MAH NIMH pack that is less than 3 months old, freshly charged and properly cycled. I don't use li-polys or 6V NIMHs because I don't trust regulators to hold up to instantaneous current demands of full limit loads from servos in high G manuvers. I limit my points of failure, and I don't apply overvoltage to servos. I tested the battery at the field and it read 5.0V no load and 4.8 with a load. I wrung out the plane pretty hard prior to setting up to land without any problem, and there was minimal transmitter input as the plane was approaching the runway, so "brownout" was not an issue for you NIMH bashers. My switch is a 20 amp rated toggle switch because I don't trust those weak feeling, low-amp slide switches. 5 118 oz-inch servos and one standard servo on throtttle. Separate 1800MAH NIMH for ignition.
Things I don't know:
Is my Tx bad?
Is my Rx bad?
Was there some interference to cause the problem?
Why didn't the receiver reacquire the Tx signal if there was interference?
Is there a software bug?

Things I do know:
My receiver power source and connectivity is solid.

I am going to play around today with one of my other receivers. Turn off the Tx and back on to see if reacquiring the signal fails at all. Right now, I'm scared to fly with my Tx, and for sure I am sending back the receiver out of my sukhoi. On a good note, the only things destroyed were the cowl and motor box, not sure about the engine. We call the dirt here in coastal Georgia "gumbo" because the water table is high and the ground is soft.
Old 03-08-2009, 01:26 PM
ChiefK

Ended up buying at Onyx 240 by Duratraxx. It works AC or DC and can charge two different Rx packs simultaneously at whatever setting is appropriate for each. Very reasonable price I thought.

Thanks for your advice.

Greg
Old 03-08-2009, 01:31 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Had you sent your RX's back for the upgarde? I just sent all of mine back in despite that fact that they had all been flawless before.
I've got to take some extra time to look over your facts and think about what else might have been in the mix that we're missing. Looking forward to other input too. Also I have to say that depsite the apparent good flow from the batteries you have, I'm still leery of the 4.8 volts and the brownout situations. There's just too little leeway there. Seems strange however that you were not pulling amps in a maneuver, you were fairly flat and level on approach when that happened. The voltage almost does not seem to be an issue here. How full was your TX battery at that time?

Good reporting of the facts, by the way.

Jim
Old 03-08-2009, 01:41 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Here's a thought;

Try turning off your TX for a second and see what the plane does, see if the RX goes into a lockdown similar to what you described. It's almost like your failsafe kicked in and the second elevator locked down. Once you finished setting up your plane on your Spektrum and had added the second elevator had you done a rebind with the Spektrum? If not, that second Aux port on the RX would have been set for failsafe to its original position. If you ended up reversing the servo or anything at all you could expect a servo to swing and stall trying to get to it's original position.

That's just a thought. Trying to think outside the box here. The batteries and voltage do not seem to be involved. It has to be somewhere else.
Jim
Old 03-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Zeeb

4 cell batteries, NiMH too boot, stalled servo, last of 6 or 7 flights for the day, 4.8 volts is basically dead.

You ran out of electrical power....

Sorry 'bout your loss but these computer radio systems are a lot like any other computer system. Doesn't matter what you think, only matters whether it's right or wrong.

As mentioned; are you flying with the upgraded firmware rx's?

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=1756

This would have caused a blinking light indication on the rx's when you got to the model. If you don't have the update then it's guess work but 99% of the issues I've seen tracked down to the actual problem turned out to be electrical.
Old 03-08-2009, 08:26 PM
mgraham
My Feedback: (1)

I checked all 3 receivers today:
composite-arf extra 300, DA 50 power: tx on, turned on rx-locks in a couple of seconds; turn off rx a few seconds and back on- locks on in a couple of seconds(repeated 4 times); turn off tx, throttle goes idle, surfaces remain neutral- locks up a couple of seconds after tx back on.(repeated this several times) This is a full composite plane and I have never noticed a glitch with Spektrum.
Wild Hare edge 540, BME 50 power: same results
Peak models SU 26: when I first turn on rx, left elevator fully deflects down, but goes to neutral when it locks up. After that first power up the results are the same for turning Rx and Tx off and on as the other planes. I thought this deflection was the servo, but it must be the rx and only happens that first power up. I did a rebind a few times on this one, same result. This was the state the receiver was in after the crash, and it did not lock back up until I powered it down and back up. I suspect there is a problem with this rx. No, I did not pay attention to the Rx LED at the time, should have. No, I have not upgraded my receivers, didn't realize there was a firmware upgrade until I had this problem. I did check my tx voltage at the time, 10.2. I put a 2200mah nimh in my tx some time ago.

I did these tests with my "basically dead", as Zeeb puts it, battery pack. It has not been charged since the crash, and I have it over on my Pinnacle charger going through a discharge cycle at 1.2 amps per hour, and a voltage reading of 4.86 under load at start of discharge. After a day of flying 7-10 flights the batttery peaks after 950-1000 ma of charge. Stall current on these servos is 1200 ma, so 6 amps would be the draw if all were stalled simultaneously. I don't think you will stall all 5 servos very often unless you give full input on all surfaces in a high speed dive, my guess you will be picking up the pieces from overstress way before you reset the receiver. I'll see if I can round up a .8 ohm power resistor and check the battery voltage with a 6 amp load, my guess this 3.6 AH battery will stay above 3.5V at 12 amps or more. We have been using "computer" radios for years now, well before Spektrum or li-poly were even thought of, and nimh packs were the greatest thing since sliced bread after using nicads. I generally look over these forums for ideas and rarely comment unless I have something to contribute. My first thought, after working with and on electronic equipment(avionics, two-way radio, cellular switches and base stations) for the past 38 years is software bug. I'm not trying to besmirtch the good name of Spektrum, I am looking for a common thread to a mystery failure. After being a technical manager for a major wireless carrier for the past 22 years, I can tell you from experience that software related outages exceed hardware by at least 2 to1 on equipment costing millions, not hundreds of dollars. Since my battery has not reached the cutoff yet and I have nothing else to say for now, it reads 4.59V and 1348 ma of discharge. I will call Horizon tomorrow and provide any feedback.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Zeeb

Well it looks like you're on the right track, but I'm always leary of NiMH packs since the EPA forced a change in the chemistry a few years ago. Peak detection chargers have a difficult time reading the things and can lead to false peaks and insufficiently charged packs. Ad to that the cell impedence you might find from various vendors and the situation becomes more of an issue when you start loading up the batteries with high amp draws from the servos.

While there is an issue with the 9 channel and above tx's using 9 channel and above rx's with analog servos deflecting past limits on power up due to the rx generating a pulse in the neighborhood of 700us, that should not have been an issue with a DX-7 tx setup. I've not tried to run any of my higher channel number rx's with the DX-7, but it does happen with the X9303 and 12X tx's with R921 rx's. If your rx's were re-bound after setup, you should not get any servo deflections on powerup of the rx other than the throttle going to it's failsafe position. If re-binding after setup still leaves servos going to the end of a travel limit until the rx links with the tx, something's wrong.

If your stuff is older than sometime around mid '08, it's very likely the latest firmware noted in the link I posted has not been installed. The early versions of the Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz rx's would take the same amount of time to re-link with the tx on a power brown out as they did on an initial link; 2 to 5 seconds as the rx had to scan all the frequencies looking for the tx's GUID numbers. The Quick Connect update comes back online in less than 1/2 second on the same two frequencies it was using when it shut down and you get the flashing light power brownout indication.

While it is always possible there is an issue with one of your radio components, it is extremely rare to find something that isn't power system related. A stalled servo can pull a bunch more current than it's rating and combined with the state of the battery after 6 or 7 flights may very well be the cause. It could be a servo problem, could be something wrong with the rx, extensions, switches or any number of things withing the power system pulling the thing down and if you hit 3.5 volts (+ or - manufacturing tolerances) that rx is going to shut down and considering your background you should know that as well as anyone.

Other than power system problems, the only issue I've seen with the Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz radios which seems to appear with a somewhat distressing regularity is ignition issues on gas engines and I'm not talking about the power to the module. In every case I've seen of RF issues which showed up with gassers, it was a case of the ignition spark getting loose be it cut shielding, loose caps, wrong plug (non-resistor) and so forth.

Last point is that while the Flight Log was initially only available on the 9 channel and above rx's, it's now available on the AR-7000 rx's as well and in conjunction with the Quick Connect update, makes two powerful tools for determining the quality of the RF link and power system. I mention all this as I had a way overkill Li-Ion dual battery setup on my little 50cc bird and while it's 9 channel rx had the original Quick Connect firmware, that version did not include the power brownout flashing light indication. When the latest version became available in November '07 and Horizon/Spektrum issued the SB with an offer to upgrade older rx's for free in February '08, I decided to send all of mine in for the upgrade. I checked them all when they came back and confirmed all the tx settings and test flew each model. When I landed the 50cc bird all the data logger readings were still good, but the rx lights were flashing. I was not able to duplicate the power brownout on the ground. All the components tested good in every way I could come up with to test things, but I couldn't make the rx do a low power reboot on the ground. So I flew it again and when I landed, I had flashing lights again.

So all of my stuff except for a little trainer I keep around is now running A123 batteries with no regulators. I've not had a power brownout with any of my models using these batteries either. My point is that while you may think you've covered all the bases, until you can put it in the air with an rx capable of telling you if the power system is adequate, that is the first place to look.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:49 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Yes, it could be the receiver. But not because of the battery power this time. Despiute what zeeb said you can't just make that a pat answer when the plane was flying level, the Amperage draw simply wasn't happening right then. It would have required a spike of draw to drop the voltage that much, level flight says that's not the case.

Normal manufacturing, 3 to 8 percent faulty product is considered normal, one or two percent of those are not caught my quality control. Half those numbers and you still have a possibility of a bad Rx or two hitting the shelves out there once in a while.

Another possibility, and you should check it out VERY carefully....a bad connection. A week or two ago a fella came in here with a similar problem and in the end he finally discovered a bad connection, he was able to flex or tug something and replicate the "hit". NO voltage does the same thing as LOW voltage. Your Peak SU26...is that the model that crashed? Is it the same RX?

I am inclined to agree with you, the Rx probably has some issue with it. And since your Rx's don't have the upgrade (or maybe because THAT one doesn't?) Just call Horizon with the numbers and models and you can send them in for an upgrade. They want their products to be the best they can be. They'll take care of you.

Jim
Old 03-08-2009, 10:56 PM
Zeeb

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

Yes, it could be the receiver. But not because of the battery power this time. Despiute what zeeb said you can't just make that a pat answer when the plane was flying level, the Amperage draw simply wasn't happening right then. It would have required a spike of draw to drop the voltage that much, level flight says that's not the case.

Jim
Jim,

I think you've missed an important point in his post crash investigation.

He said the left elevator was full down and the servo binding. Two possiblities; bad servo or rx problem. The key here IMHO, is that he says the left elevator always went to full down when the rx was first powered up and he found it in that condition when he got to the model.

If the rx is rebound after setup, that servo deflection should not happen on power up of the rx but it was. Three possibilities; bad servo/wiring, bad rx, or the rx wasn't rebound after setup. He indicated that the rx had been rebound after setup, that should eliminate that possibility and point to the rx.

Since the left elevator was deflected full down as it would during powerup, I think that would suggest the following posibilities; 1. the rx rebooted and did the same full travel deflection it had always done meaning there was a power issue and the model hit the ground before the rx could re-link with the tx. 2. The rx has an issue since it should not have been doing that anyway. 3. The servo is bad and put the model into the ground without the rx having shut down or perhaps it did fail and overload the electrical system which seems a bit unlikely since it still worked on the ground. 4. There is a wiring issue involving the left elevator servo.

It will certainly be educational if he finds the problem and shares it with us.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:19 AM
joesigg

At the risk of getting trampled, I will jump in here. I have 8 AR7000 receivers in various giant scale planes, mostly WWI. I have all installed with hefty 5 cell packs and superswitches. Fly with DX7 and 9303. Never had a problem until last year when I was flying Giant Aeromaster. Doing a full throttle pass over field when the plane rolled left and went in full bore. I had time to yell a warning that I had no control and just watch it go in. Never went to fail safe throttle. After retrieval, everything worked fine and battery tested fine. So I figured it had to be a switch problem - I had been flying this setup all summer with no problem. Maybe switch was only half on and vibrated partly shut. This is older AR7000 without new firmware, but lack of fail-safe throttle before crash said that was not the problem, I think.

Sunday, I took my new replacement to the field for a maiden flight - an RCGuys Cessna Agwagon. Same receiver, new switch, new battery, careful ground check with engine running at idle, everything indicating a go. Transmitter fully charged. Took of and took gradual ascent pattern. Plane suddenly rolled left at full bore and went in. Radio working when we got to it. The only things that were the same in both planes were the receiver and the Quaddra 52 engine.. Oh, and the rollouts occured within about 100 feet of each other (same end of field).

You can understand that I will never use this receiver again even if Horizon says it's OK. (I suspect intermittent land break on PCB), but could it be something with the Quaddra? The Aeromaster had maybe 30 flights before it went in.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:31 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

I had a flying buddy who was charging $12, Ebay, no name, 2700 ma batteries with a wall wart. I cycled one pack twice for him and only got 1600ma each time. Had no idea that you needed a better charger. His plane didn't crash but if it did, some one would have blamed his DX7 for glitching. No one would have ever mentioned how he was charging if it had gone in. I vote with the majority on radio reliability. There are too many other things to fail before the radio.
Old 05-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Speedy-Gonzales
My Feedback: (202)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Changing the subject here a little but am wondering if the Spektrum AR6100e DSM2 ML 6-Channel Receiver is suitable for nitro planes up to .40 size engines (I can not find any specs on range. Is it a full range receiver? ) or should Ilean towards the AR500 DSM2 5-Channel Sport Receiver . Would also like to know if anyone has used the new JETI 2.4GHz receivers from Hobby Lobby? Here is the link.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/jeti_dupl...34902_prd1.htm
Old 05-16-2009, 09:53 PM
skipperwayne

The AR6100E (and the AR6100) are NOT full range receivers. They're park/slow flyer receivers. I found out the hard way. I'm using AR500's and AR7000's now. Iput the AR6100E in my heli because it's never going to be more than 50 or 60 feet away from me.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:17 PM
pic
My Feedback: (8)

Have you concidered thepossiblity of electro-magnetic forces or even micro wave interferrnce.You did say that you fly at a naval base. While either ofthose are unprobable theystill remain possible.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:29 PM
pic
My Feedback: (8)

DANG!!!! My wife just come out to see what the heck i'm laughing @. This is great stuff,man my sides hurt.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:25 PM
320pilot

I was flying my AR6100E equiped Ascent 450 electric ERT sailplane yesterday, really, really far away ...under some big dark clouds. Power at idle, just looking for some lift. Gave it a tweak of rudder, to turn it back before I lost sight of it, even against the dark cloud base. Nothing happened. Gave it a second rudder input, nothing; finally third try I could see it had started a turn; flash of upper wing in some sun.

This sailplane has an all fibreglass fuselage, never had a problem before, with the AR6100 antenna wires inside, but I think I will put the new AR6250 receiver in it now. I have one of the new 6 channel AR6250 in a 2m Poly Pulsar. Much longer antenna wires to extend outside fuselage, and I like the "hold" light built in to Rx. If it comes back with this light on, you have a problem with antenna location, Rx lost bind toTx, even for a split second..

I will never know, without a data logger, or "hold" light if my Rx in the Ascent lost the Tx for a second or so, but I never had this happen before with AR6100 in Helis, or Park Flyers. Luckily, I had the upgraded quick connect firmware, and very stable poly wing sailplane was happy to just coast along, (lots of altitude) for a few seconds,with no signal in an essentialy power off descent

Just my two cents worth, re the AR6100E
ps. I fly with the Dx-7 Tx. Use this with AR6100, AR6200 in various Helis, never any problems (maybe swamped a Rx once, Tx too close to Rx on ground).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91561.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1209775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59869.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	175.1 KB
ID:	1209776  
Old 05-31-2009, 10:30 PM
Dangaras

Experienced 3 crashed in 2 days...

Sat evening I was flying a  Parkzone Super Decathlon ARF outfitted with an AR6100E, 2 cell LiPo 7.4V, 1100mAh battery & transmitter = DX5e. Flew two 5minute sessions with hand launches, no issues. On the third launch, within 2 or 3 seconds of releasing the plane the 370 outrunner cut out and the plane nose dived into the field. A broken prop was the only issue.

I have been flying this model for about 10 days repeatedly for 15 to 20 minute sessions with no issues in moderate and low wind conditions with great results.

This afternoon there was a very light breeze and the temperature was less than 15 degrees celcius. I thought it was pilot error or a low battery.

Today Sunday) I loaded up a Foamy F4U Corsair with an AR6100E, 370 Brushed motor/ESC combo, 3 analog servos and a 9.6V-650mAH NiMH battery, after hand releasing the model flew out straight then banked left on its own. There was no rudder control, but motor, ailerons & elevators were responding. I could not recover fast enough and the left wing clipped the ground and was snapped off.

15 minutes later I got my new RTF Parkzone F4U Corsair, which I have flown a few times in the last 2 weeks without issue (specs available here http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ4600) out and it flew out straigt, banked to the right and then I noticed it started flying away from me and was not responding to rudder control. I had to use aileron and elevators to get the plane back onto the field. 15 seconds later while I was banking right slightly preparing to land quickly, (40 feet in the air) the model suddenly entered a nose dive and slammed straight into the field. I could not recover, the motor did not appear to stop (did not ente failsafe mode). Destroyed the motor mount, cowl, electronics compartment cover, wing brackets pulled loose and cracked the right wing.

I had completed the proper range test before each flight, fully charged each battery before and checked battery voltage after each "flight".. All appeared well.

The only issue was again, the temperature was aroung 10 degrees celcius...

After researching for the lat few hours, I found quite a bit of chatter about these unknown issues with the AR6100 radios (the Parkzone corsair is running a sport AR500 receiver). There have been a few posts where people are experiencing issues with Spektrum radios and low outdoor temperatures (<cite>www.truveo.com/Spektrum-AR6100-shutdown/id/1793398994)..

Besides not flying when itès cold out, which is not an acceptable answer, is there any idea of what is going on here.... I am concerned that I am going to be spending more time & money reparing than flying..
</cite>