Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

DX7 to DX7 master/slave trainer help

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:30 PM
jnj55024

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX7 to DX7 master/slave trainer help

Hi all,

I have two DX7 transmitters and would like to use them on a Master/Slave type of training set up to help my daughter fly tomorrow.

The directions are quite vague on how to set this up. I have the Spektrum cord to connect them, I set the main/master transmitter that the plane is bound with to P-Link and the other one to Slave/P-link, I turn the main one on and let it connect to the plane, I plug the cord in which turns the slave radio on, hold down the trainer switch on the main transmitter and the slave radio doesn't do anything, the master still has control while holding the trainer switch??

I tried programming them identical and using the Normal mode on both radios and it still doesn't work.

I am out of ideas on how to get them together. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:46 PM
GVR-4579

Default RE: DX7 to DX7 master/slave trainer help

Are both radios programmed exactly the same? I am not sure if its possible to use more than a 4 channel setup on a trainer system.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 PM
jnj55024

ORIGINAL: GVR-4579

Are both radios programmed exactly the same? I am not sure if its possible to use more than a 4 channel setup on a trainer system.

Yes, both are programmed the same in every respect, dual rates, expo, end points, I even set all the unused switches to the same locations, not that that matters. I thought that is what I needed to do in "Normal" mode. This is a simple plane, Slo-V set up as a delta wing so that the aileron stick controls the turns instead of the rudder stick with electric motor so only three channels are used.

I am not sure if both radios should be in "normal" or not. Obviously the one that is bound to the receiver is the one that should be powered on and becomes the master/trainer and the other stays off and becomes the slave/student.

I programmed the plane into both radios, I set everything up identical so if I re-bind the plane with either radio it works great but I can't get the two radios to work together???

Since the first post I have switched which radio the plane is bound with just to eliminate the possibility of a bad rocker switch. No luck. Tried every possible combination of P-link to slave and normal to slave and normal to normal and had no luck.

Grrrrr!!![:@]
Old 07-02-2009, 11:29 PM
jnj55024

I see you are in Lakeville, any chance you fly at Tri-Valley in Rosemount?
Old 07-03-2009, 02:09 AM
electricpete

I normally fly futaba as a master trainer link, were the trainer tx is switched off, my instructor is a jr/ spectrum fan, and I beleive he says you have to have both Tx's switched on. Best to phone Horizon, they are very helpful in UK.

Peter
Old 07-03-2009, 02:16 AM
alan0899

ORIGINAL: jnj55024

Hi all,

I have two DX7 transmitters and would like to use them on a Master/Slave type of training set up to help my daughter fly tomorrow.

The directions are quite vague on how to set this up. I have the Spektrum cord to connect them, I set the main/master transmitter that the plane is bound with to P-Link and the other one to Slave/P-link, I turn the main one on and let it connect to the plane, I plug the cord in which turns the slave radio on, hold down the trainer switch on the main transmitter and the slave radio doesn't do anything, the master still has control while holding the trainer switch??

I tried programming them identical and using the Normal mode on both radios and it still doesn't work.

I am out of ideas on how to get them together. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

G'day Mate,
It sounds like you have the TX's set up properly, but do you have the correct switch selected, you can use one of the slide switches at the front top of the TX, the ones on the right or left of the Spektrum label.. They slide UP, They are the only ones you can use.

One small point, use a model memory on the SLAVE, that is set to default, ie, don't set up dual rates, sub trim, or end points, etc, on the slave, these are only used on the MASTER TX.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:32 PM
jnj55024

ORIGINAL: alan0899

ORIGINAL: jnj55024

Hi all,

G'day Mate,
It sounds like you have the TX's set up properly, but do you have the correct switch selected, you can use one of the slide switches at the front top of the TX, the ones on the right or left of the Spektrum label.. They slide UP, They are the only ones you can use.

One small point, use a model memory on the SLAVE, that is set to default, ie, don't set up dual rates, sub trim, or end points, etc, on the slave, these are only used on the MASTER TX.
Well I had one of those "DUH!!" moments when you said to push on the rocker instead of pull. It worked well, I also took your advice and changed the slave/student radio to a blank or fresh set up with no changes. It is working well now.

So to re-cap for those of you that can't figure it out like me:

Put the radio you set the plane up to run with as the P-Link or Master and leave it on
Set the Slave radio to a new and un-touched plane and set the trainer setting to Slave/P-link and then turn it off
Turn the plane on and make sure it is linked to the Master radio and all control surfaces work, it should be flashing "No Trainee" but will still have control of the plane
Plug in the cord to the back of each radio with the slave radio powered off, it will automatically turn on and say "Slave" on the screen.
You should be connected, on the Master radio, push the rocker switch on the left side of the logo up or away from you and this will give control to the Slave radio and all surface should work, check them to be sure.

I found out that if you have both radios set up to fly the plane and try to run it while the slave is set on the programmed plane it only controls some of the surfaces. You need to change it to fresh or blank set up with no changes from stock to get it to run all of the surfaces and don't forget to push not pull on the rocker switch.

Thanks much to everyone for their great suggestions. Hope this thread helps somebody in the future.