Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Spektrum dx7 lost bind today

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:38 AM
TravelairR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum dx7 lost bind today

I've had to return 3 receivers for the same reason, suddenly no longer recognizes the transmitter, or no longer bound. Horizon just sends new receivers. Since you use the binding button on the back to range check the radio it should not affect a bound system. I have found that if I don't use the Spectrum switch the problem doesn't happen, I use a two wire switch instead once the unit is bound. Another problem I have is the flap switch reverses if the transmitter is off for a week, if I fly two days a week the switch doesn't change but if I only fly one day a week when I turn the transmitter on the flaps will be reversed. I like the transmitter but I do have one complaint, no throttle cut, an important feature on most of my transmitters but not having it hasn't caused any problems.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:45 AM
BuschBarber
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The DX7 does have a Throttle Cut. I think they call it Throttle Recovery. Press and holdthe two buttons to get into the Menu and then turn on the Tx. Scroll through until you find it. It is not a quick way to cut the Throttle. You have to hold the Throttle Trim down until the engine shuts off, then push the Throttle Trim up one click to return to your Idle Setting.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:15 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: TravelairR

I've had to return 3 receivers for the same reason, suddenly no longer recognizes the transmitter, or no longer bound. Horizon just sends new receivers. Since you use the binding button on the back to range check the radio it should not affect a bound system. I have found that if I don't use the Spectrum switch the problem doesn't happen, I use a two wire switch instead once the unit is bound. Another problem I have is the flap switch reverses if the transmitter is off for a week, if I fly two days a week the switch doesn't change but if I only fly one day a week when I turn the transmitter on the flaps will be reversed. I like the transmitter but I do have one complaint, no throttle cut, an important feature on most of my transmitters but not having it hasn't caused any problems.
First, I don't think we're talking about the button being hit while the plane is airborn, I think the damage is already done before then by the button being pushed while the transmitter is resting against something and then being turned on in that position.

But it most certainly WILL affect a bound system since pushing the Bind button while the plane is on is used for range checking, which causes the radio to cut its output way down (so you can range check and replicate the distance conditions).

Have you sent your TX into Horizon for a checkup? I routinely have always sent my radios in for checkups and to have the service center do whatever they need. Occasionally I've had the memory battery replaced by them. If that's the case with yours and your memory battery is starting to fail, I'm going to guess that before long you won't need to wait a week before the flaps won't be the only thing that "reverts" or simply loses settings.

Looks like this is the year mine will be going in for its checkup. I've had it two years already, closer to 2 and 1/2.

Buschbarber, I'm going to go check into that throttle cut (recovery?) this morning. I think that's what I do, I often start out by going into the Sub-Trim menu to and when something needs trim it's all right there. I use it a lot when I've got a new bird up in the air that's going to need some dialing in. In fact, right now my new Waco has a high idle, and I'm working on the fuel mixtures in the Saito (when it's on the ground) through the cowl, which is slow going.. Until I get that right I'm using the subtrims to bring the down and kill it once it's on the ground, it's taking 25 clicks! Fortunately it IS a Waco, which means it has to land under some power because it's pushing a big round wall around in front of it, so high idle isn't a big issue at all. Anyway, I'll look for something in there named Throttle Recovery.

Jimbo
Old 10-11-2009, 09:46 AM
stuntman718
My Feedback: (4)

I also lost  a Bind . I lost the bind at home on the bench 3 times. Batteries went dead in the reciever. Recharged battery pack, ctheck it .It check out fine each time.So I rebound each time . So I asked someone from my club About my problem . He said SO YOU JUST REBIND IT . Two  Flights NO PROBLEM . Into My third Flight of the day . I LOST THE BIND. The plane I was Flying Went into failsafe mode P(Program to go in spiral at idle throttle).  Lost the plane in June. Still didn't find it. Didn't look to hard. Now that weather is getting cooler, I will start to look for it again. Thoose mosquitos were nasty, bountiful, and hungry this year.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:02 AM
BuschBarber

Going into Failsafe is not the same as losing the Bind. Failsafe is a temporary condition when the Signal is lost and full control is restored when the Signal is restored. If you are lucky enough to still have Battery, Rx, and at least one servo still working, after the crash, and you find that the servo moves when you move the sticks, then you may have gone into Failsafe during the flight. When you lose the Bind, you have to ReBind to restore control.

Failsafe settings are defined when you Bind the Tx to the Rx. Usually, the default is all channels Hold and Throttle goes to Idle. One test of Failsafe is to turn off the Tx and leave the Rx on. See where the Throttle moves when you turn off the Tx.

On my 9303 and AR9000, I can Bind two different ways - one way is for all channels to Hold and Throttle go to Idle - The other way is for all channels to go to a Preset location that I set by holding the Sticks, Knobs, and Switches while I Bind.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:55 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: stuntman718

I also lost a Bind . I lost the bind at home on the bench 3 times. Batteries went dead in the reciever. Recharged battery pack, ctheck it .It check out fine each time.So I rebound each time . So I asked someone from my club About my problem . He said SO YOU JUST REBIND IT . Two Flights NO PROBLEM . Into My third Flight of the day . I LOST THE BIND. The plane I was Flying Went into failsafe mode P(Program to go in spiral at idle throttle). Lost the plane in June. Still didn't find it. Didn't look to hard. Now that weather is getting cooler, I will start to look for it again. Thoose mosquitos were nasty, bountiful, and hungry this year.
What RX were you flying? What plane?

Your flying buddy who gave you that flip answer was no friend. Something caused that issue, you had a warning flag and unfortunately an idiot giving you advice and telling you that nothing was wrong... Sorry that happened. That's not how a fellow flyer should have handled that. I'm going to guess from what you've said here that there was a bad battery connection in one of the pins somewhere, probably causing a problem on-again off-again. It finally happened one last time... in the air... after your "buddy" (not) at the field told you to ignore it and rebind and fly.

Spektrums don't like losing power even for a split second, and they will go into failsafe....and then recover if the power is restored. If it stays powered down it will remain in failsafe and do what yours did.

So, I'm going to go with an educated guess of a bad battery connection. NOTHING is more important on a Spektrum than good battery connections.

Good luck with finding your bird. I hope it's intact.

Jimbo
Old 10-11-2009, 11:16 AM
BuschBarber

Failsafe is a condition where the Signal is lost from the Tx to the Rx but there is still Power to the Rx. If there is no Power to the Rx (i.e. bad wires on the battery or switch harness) then all the channels remain as they were when the Power was lost. In most cases all that means is that the Throttle does not go to Idle, it just Holds like all the other channels.

With Spektrum, when the battery voltage drops too far, due to too much current draw, for example, the Rx Reboots. With old Firmware, this might take 4 seconds, but with the newer Firmware, it just takes a second. The system would go into Failsafe and control is restored after the Rx Reboots and the voltage is at an acceptable level.

It can be difficult to determine what has happened, after a crash, but if you have a Spektrum Flight Logger, and the Rx is still powered up, you can check to see if a Failsafe Event occured. Also, when the Rx Reboots, the lights Flash indicating that a Brownout has occured (only with the newer Firmware).
Old 10-11-2009, 11:35 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

So, in light of that, we should probably change the guess to that battery was probably on its way out? I guess we don't really know if the throttle went into failsafe position or if the RX lost all power, or what...

Either way there were warnings signs, that guy shouldn't have told him to Rebind and go fly it. Something was amiss.

Jimbo
Old 10-11-2009, 11:38 AM
glazier808
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question...I just bought the DX6, are these issues just with the 7's? I've always used Futaba(and still do) for my "top shelf" models. I have the Futaba 2.4 sytems.

thanks,

Casey
Old 10-11-2009, 12:08 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

These aren't issues...these are rare occurrences.

This thread just doesn't talk about the issues that Futaba has.

Which, in all fairness, are also probably rare occurrences.

Let me put it another way. Your high-end models being flown by a Futaba with its battery unplugged or with a bad connection is probably going to do the same thing that a Spektrum with its battery unplugged (or with a bad connection) will do.

Crash.

Same issue. Just insert Manufacturer's name.

That being said, it's NEVER the Battery or Switch or Extension Mfr's name that gets inserted. Always the radio Mfr.

Why is that?

Jimbo
Old 10-11-2009, 03:50 PM
BEAR-AvHistory

I have just ordered a DX-7 to support a larger aircraft with more features, thanks to all for the very informative thread.

Quick question what is the proper posistion for the throttle trim to be set at when flying electric aircraft?
Old 10-11-2009, 04:02 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Use an ESC (electric Speed Control), and follow the directions. Each one will tell you how to set up your TX for it. Okay, on MOST of them.

Jimbo
Old 10-11-2009, 04:14 PM
psb667

I can help you all solve your spektrum issues buy a futaba. there arnt as many problems. these arnt rare things with spektrum despite what spektrum says I dont know anyone using them that hasnt lost a plane or heli to delink.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:19 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

I can help you solve all your literacy issues, read post 35 C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y.

At the same time, it solves the issues you THINK we have.....if you want to call it that.

Jimbo
Old 10-11-2009, 04:21 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Everybody I know (hundreds and hundreds and hundreds) flies with them and NONE of them have lost a plane.

So I guess I'm calling you a Liar.

Feel free to give a list of names, however, if you wish to challenge that. This is America.

Wanna hear about the guy last week at Kingsbury field with the Futaba and the Ugly stick that his Futaba made even UGLIER?

One Spektrum and that would never have happened.

Pilot's name available upon request, of course.

Jimbo
Old 10-11-2009, 04:36 PM
glazier808

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: stuntman718

I also lost a Bind . I lost the bind at home on the bench 3 times. Batteries went dead in the reciever. Recharged battery pack, ctheck it .It check out fine each time.So I rebound each time . So I asked someone from my club About my problem . He said SO YOU JUST REBIND IT . Two Flights NO PROBLEM . Into My third Flight of the day . I LOST THE BIND. The plane I was Flying Went into failsafe mode P(Program to go in spiral at idle throttle). Lost the plane in June. Still didn't find it. Didn't look to hard. Now that weather is getting cooler, I will start to look for it again. Thoose mosquitos were nasty, bountiful, and hungry this year.
What RX were you flying? What plane?

Your flying buddy who gave you that flip answer was no friend. Something caused that issue, you had a warning flag and unfortunately an idiot giving you advice and telling you that nothing was wrong... Sorry that happened. That's not how a fellow flyer should have handled that. I'm going to guess from what you've said here that there was a bad battery connection in one of the pins somewhere, probably causing a problem on-again off-again. It finally happened one last time... in the air... after your ''buddy'' (not) at the field told you to ignore it and rebind and fly.

Spektrums don't like losing power even for a split second, and they will go into failsafe....and then recover if the power is restored. If it stays powered down it will remain in failsafe and do what yours did.

So, I'm going to go with an educated guess of a bad battery connection. NOTHING is more important on a Spektrum than good battery connections.

Good luck with finding your bird. I hope it's intact.

Jimbo

wow....just asked a question Jimbo....wasnt bashing either radio...I did say I own both. And yes I'm sure that both would react the same if you had faulty connections. That was not my question.

but I can help you solve all your literacy issues, read your own posts...I'm rather sure you used the word issues several times....I guess attitudes and head sizes are bigger in Texas too...

but thanks for all of yer help friend...

wow....if you're so literate, how did you read my post and not answer the question...

too many know it alls in this thread for me....just a little old boy with literacy problems lol

Old 10-11-2009, 04:40 PM
psb667

of coarse your calling me a liar stupid people always do that sort of thing when confronted with an ugly truth. of course if you wanna play insult and bravado then be advised im really good at it. as for here call up my buddies i think your buddies would probably not be to thrilled to know you gave out there phone #s to prove you were right about something spektrum admits to. look on the website and ask your self why does spektrum need a system that advertises quick relink and shows you how many times your rx failed in flght? futabas been around a long time and im sure has had there problems the original 2.4 6c system was remarkably prone to delink and was phased out as a result not gerried and then sold as improved.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:47 PM
glazier808

well said, and with that...I'm out...

removed subscription to thread

wow it was just a simple question....

decaf my friend...decaf
Old 10-11-2009, 04:47 PM
psb667

noooooooooooooooo decaf
Old 10-11-2009, 06:04 PM
TravelairR
My Feedback: (7)

Have you sent your TX into Horizon for a checkup? I routinely have always sent my radios in for checkups and to have the service center do whatever they need. Occasionally I've had the memory battery replaced by them. If that's the case with yours and your memory battery is starting to fail, I'm going to guess that before long you won't need to wait a week before the flaps won't be the only thing that "reverts" or simply loses settings.

Yep , transmitter went in this year when I broke the antenna, supposedly Spektrum checked out the radio while they had it. This has been a recurring problem with any plane I have flaps on. It does not happen just because the battery has gone down. It happens in all battery conditions. I discover it when I turn the transmitter and receiver on, the flaps go into full down but the elevator doesn't. I reverse the servo setting and then all is okay.

On the losing bind I have never had it happen with a two wire switch, only on the three wire switches that come from Spektrum, and not every switch from Spektrum. It's possible something shorts the wires in the charge plug on the switch, I don't know I just know what I have experienced and I know that Spektrum always sends a new receiver. I have never had a receiver fail in flight since switching to Spektrum but I did have a problem with RF interference when the grounding shield wire on a spark plug wire wasn't connected, that took awhile to trace down and luckily some smart member on the forum told me what to look for.

I am going to try the Hitek 2.4 system because I like my optic 6 and throttle cut. I will try the Spektrum system cut also but I like having a separate button. Besides the Hitek receivers are about $30 cheaper.

Harry
Old 10-11-2009, 08:12 PM
crankpin
My Feedback: (15)

On the re-binding issue. I started out using 4.8V receiver pack's with the X9303. After some time, using an R7000 with this tx, I had an issue of losing bind in flight, but about 2 second's. I got it back, but not in time, as I have very little elevator throw, and too many things were happening at one time, for me to think about hitting the dual rate switch. Horizon replaced the receiver at no charge, never did find out what happened. I am sure if I was in straight and level flight, I wouldn't have noticed it.

From that experience, I changed all rx pack's over to 6V, never a problem again. Every time I do some work inside, unplugging servo's, etc., I always re-bind, same with the 921 rx.

Crank
Old 10-11-2009, 08:18 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: glazier808

Question...I just bought the DX6, are these issues just with the 7's? I've always used Futaba(and still do) for my ''top shelf'' models. I have the Futaba 2.4 sytems.

thanks,

Casey
Hmmmm....no question to answer here, since there are no issues. I'll just write him and tell him so, he'll catch on......

Don't ya think so?

Jimbo
Old 10-11-2009, 08:25 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: psb667

of coarse your calling me a liar stupid people always do that sort of thing when confronted with an ugly truth. of course if you wanna play insult and bravado then be advised im really good at it. as for here call up my buddies i think your buddies would probably not be to thrilled to know you gave out there phone #s to prove you were right about something spektrum admits to. look on the website and ask your self why does spektrum need a system that advertises quick relink and shows you how many times your rx failed in flght? futabas been around a long time and im sure has had there problems the original 2.4 6c system was remarkably prone to delink and was phased out as a result not gerried and then sold as improved.
Reaally good at what? hardto readbecause you runeverything together and if i rote like that id get fired

I wuz gunna hav my budys call yu and tell you wut happend so u cood heer it firsthand.

If you knew anything about steps in electronic equipment you'd know that everything now uses steps and counts missed steps. Yes, even the Futaba radios. The Futaba radios were improved and repackaged, not phased out. Nobody throws out that much research and development, the lost revenue would be staggering. You just believed what they told you.

Jimbo
Old 10-11-2009, 08:59 PM
glazier808

Jimbo,

ORIGINAL: TexasSkyPilot

ORIGINAL: glazier808

Question...I just bought the DX6, are these issues just with the 7's? I've always used Futaba(and still do) for my ''top shelf'' models. I have the Futaba 2.4 sytems.

thanks,

Casey
Hmmmm....no question to answer here, since there are no issues. I'll just write him and tell him so, he'll catch on......

Don't ya think so?

Jimbo

For one who claims to have a job as a writer, its funny that I have to explain to you where the question is......

(HINT) Its the sentence followed by the ? And no issues!!! HA! most of the posts here are from people who had issues that cost them planes.....

issues...my friend I think you have a few....

wow
Old 10-11-2009, 09:40 PM
jhicks112562

My Dx6i does the same thing. I just re-bind them and keep flying. I've never had one lose the bind during flight but if it does, that is just a bonafide excuse to buy a new plane!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.