Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Importance of 30 pace range check?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 02:33 PM
ttolliver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importance of 30 pace range check?

Range checking and troubleshooting a recent receiver install made me wonder what is the real impact of only getting a 25 pace range check?

If the 30 pace range check supposedly will allow us to fly our planes out of sight, what does 25 paces get you? Is the diminished range linear? Does 1/6th less on the range check result in 1/6th less range in the air? Or is it not that simple?

Thanks,
Tom
Old 06-05-2010, 03:04 PM
JIMF14D

Default RE: Importance of 30 pace range check?

Iusually get 80-90 paces with Hitec Aurora 9 and Spektrum DX6i systems. Actually it could be more but Icannot really see the surfaces moving much beyond there.

With those range check numbers I seem to be able to fly out to the limit of my eyeballs with 40 to 70 size models with full range Rx. Idon't push my luck with park flyer Rx but still seem to get good range on ground check.

Are you actually only getting 25 paces or are you asking a hypothetical question. Ihave never had a range check in 10 years that short! That is with both 72MHZ or newer 2.4GHZ.

I would think 5 paces diffences would mean little.

5/30 is 17%. If you were flying at a distance could you really tell, "oh oh, Iam getting to my limit" +- 17%

Just fly!

Jim D
Old 06-05-2010, 07:58 PM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good timing on this. I usually get a hundred or two paces without a problem. Yesterday I was at about 80 paces with my newly finished Bipe and suddenly the rudder (easiest to see at a distance) stopped moving and didn't change sides!!! Yikes, I thought...then I looked down and my 9503's antenna was still straight out from being in the transmitter case. I bent the antenna off to the side some (which is how they are supposed to be in use) and the rudder went back to moving...

I always go much further than they recommend, but I feel quite secure knowing how great the range is even when in range check.

I've known some guys to ask the same thing because their yard is not very big and they do it from front to back in the back yard.. Neither is mine, guys. Take it out and place it on your front lawn and start walking up the street, you'll be able to see it and get some real distance, plenty for any range check. Most neighbors won't grab it and run for it...you know where they live...

~ Jim ~
Old 06-05-2010, 09:41 PM
Dangaras

The resaon there is a difference between 25 paces and 30 paces is based on the energy in the radio signal simply dispersing. If the original source of the signal sends out a spherical wavefront, then the surface area of the front will increase as r^2. This means the energy density on that front will decrease by r^2. Thus, unless the signal is 100% coherent (not actually possible), it will decrease in intensity as it propagates through space (or any other media).

Simply, the inverse square law applies so the signal strength is not decreasing based on a simple linear calculation of distance but the square of the distance; signal is proportinal to 1/ distance^2
Old 06-06-2010, 12:17 AM
ttolliver

Thanks for the input guys.

Until a month or so ago I would have agreed with you about getting such long range checks that I get bored walking away from the model. That was with my old 72mhz gear before I took a break from the hobby, then with the first couple Spektrum receivers I installed when I got back in the hobby last year.

But about 3 or 4 weeks ago I installed a brand new AR6200 that wouldn't range check beyond 10-15 paces in several different positions, including with the remote antenna moved deep into the tail with the 24" extension. I finally installed a known good AR7000 out of a different plane to prove it wasn't the installation. The AR7000 range checked to 33 paces in that plane in my back yard. So there is clearly something up with that particular AR6200. The AR7000 range wasn't stellar, but it did prove the problem with the AR6200.

Now I'm working with another brand new AR6200 that's only getting me 25 paces. Admittedly I was range checking under less than ideal conditions. It had started to rain so I had the plane under an all wooden pavilion. I won't lose any sleep over the second install until I've tried it again in appropriate conditions. But that is what made me ask the original question.

Thanks again,
Tom
Old 06-06-2010, 12:39 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

Yeah,

I'm a lot more comfortable with the AR7000 Rx's, I like the solid responses I've been getting when I range check those. Not saying the others won't work just fine out there, I just think it's not the greatest choice of items for me to take the economy route on as long as I can afford the AR7000 Rx without a problem. Lots of my friends use the 6100's and such, and they fly as far out as anybody with no problems.

~ Jim ~
Old 06-06-2010, 05:48 AM
JIMF14D

I use the 6250, 6200, 6000 and 6110. Ihave never seen anything less than 75 to 90 paces in several different electric aircraft and one 70 size 4 stroke.

25 paces would make me nervous for sure.

Jim D
Old 06-06-2010, 08:28 AM
ttolliver

Thx again!
Old 06-06-2010, 08:32 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot

[8D]