Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

JR/Spekrtum LOCK OUT ISSUES

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:15 AM
John Taylor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I started using 2.4 I checked with Horizon and was told to use 6 volt power supply. So I have never had a issue with the power. John T.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:55 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by John Taylor
This is the way I understand it. DSM2 would only lock onto one frequency. DSMX locks onto two. It hops like the HITEC brand does, so less chance of interference. I'm no expert but have been flying JR Spectrum for some time and have had no problems. John T.
Not really John, DSM2 has 2 freq. (not hopping) AND sometimes chooses them so close together that in effect they could be hampered by the same interference source. DSMX has two (and) hopping freq.

Cheers V.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:32 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Wrong again.

The original DSM (DX6, AR6000) was single frequency, just like you had with 72 MHz.

DSM2 uses two frequencies.

DSMX uses 23 random frequencies out of 80, and they distribute pretty evenly across the band.

Andy
Old 10-21-2013, 11:48 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

(Picture of control line flyer setting in swivel seat)
Fool proof my foot!
Lines break, couplings come undone, linkage jams, chair swivel locks up, etc.

Last edited by chuckk2; 10-22-2013 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:06 AM
chuckk2

The things I've found when 2.4ghz was involved.
2A BEC's and five servos (no more ESC's with 2A BEC's)
Possible but not confirmed interference on the same day, using the same TX with two different models.
Both were using E-Flite ESC's with 2A BEC's
The odd part was that one of the models had some of the channels(servos) still controllable.
The default settings allowed the models to land with minimal damage.
On ground testing showed no cause.
I added 6A BEC's to both planes, and replaced the rx on one(insurance).
So far, no other problems.
Due to a brand new set of electric retracts stalling during bench testing. (They pulled peak currents well above the 900ma rating)
I discovered that four or five cell common NMIH packs (Even a new one) dropped voltage under load, and possibly enough to cause
RX dropouts. The initial indication was that an RX red LED started a flash sequence. Monitoring with a current meter and a DVM
showed that the start of the LED flashing occurred when the gear stalled.

One 4 cell NiCad older 72mhz RX pack had been relegated to bench test only, due to age
and sometimes unreliability. One of the crimped connections on the connector was flaky.

So far (knock on wood), The only issues I've had point to battery/BEC voltage droop under load.
When a single digital servo can have a peak draw of ~1.5A, and the BEC or battery pack
is only capable of about 2A look out!
Old 10-26-2013, 01:39 AM
chuckk2

Originally Posted by cloudancer03
I fly futaba 2.4 now! had a DX7 last year and lost 2 expensive planes and the cause was loss of signal.was told to buy a 6.00 part plug in to open channel and it wouldnt happen again .I fly futaba and after hundreds of flights NADA ZERO no issues.yup I wont ever use spectrum again end of story.and yes the folks with me all of whom are excellent pilots and one a sponsored pilot AGREED that my radio caused the total destruction not me..
The part was likely a capacitor. This might show that the connection between the battery and the RX is not as good as it should be. (High resistance, causing a voltage drop under load from the servos)
Old 10-26-2013, 09:59 AM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Here's a Spektrum AR7000 DSM2 receiver that is in a lockout.

Fortunately, this time it happened on the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3btVpSJNis
Old 10-26-2013, 12:10 PM
chuckk2

With the log showing 0000s, the RX is not really seeing the TX, regardless of the lights.
Further, the failsafe/preset throttle behavior shows that the RX did not initialize properly.
I suspect that this is due to the RX turn on without the TX being on first.
The behaviour if the TX is turned on first, and the RX then powered up seems to be correct.
Also, the TX is too close to the RX, and may cause a malfunction. The various documents recommend
a minimum distance of a few feet, and that the TX be turned on before the RX.
Perhaps you have identified the reason for the TX then RX power up order.

With my DX8 on, if it is too close to a model,(using an AR8000) sometimes the RX
will not respond properly after power up. Once everything is actually working, the proximity
of the two isn't so critical, other than some servo jitter when they are too close together.

I do test the RX and so forth immediately before flight by cycling power with the TX on.

I believe that the 7000, even though marked DSM2, will also operate properly as a DSMX RX.
At least that's what the Spectrum Gurus claim.

Last edited by chuckk2; 10-26-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Dave McDonald
My Feedback: (19)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The transmitter was turned on first, and was at least 3 feet away from the receiver. Then after waiting a few seconds for the transmitter to fully boot up, the receiver was switched on. Within a few more seconds the receiver and satellite lights both lit up solid, but the servos wouldn't respond to the transmitter. After that the plane and transmitter were repositioned so they could both be seen in the video, which is where the video started.

Your theory about powering up the receiver first and then the transmitter might be valid, but I've never tried that before except during the binding process.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:58 PM
janch

TRX is so close.
Originally Posted by Dave McDonald
The transmitter was turned on first, and was at least 3 feet away from the receiver. Then after waiting a few seconds for the transmitter to fully boot up, the receiver was switched on. Within a few more seconds the receiver and satellite lights both lit up solid, but the servos wouldn't respond to the transmitter. After that the plane and transmitter were repositioned so they could both be seen in the video, which is where the video started.

Your theory about powering up the receiver first and then the transmitter might be valid, but I've never tried that before except during the binding process.