Community
Search
Notices
JTEC / RADIOWAVE Support Get all your questions regarding JTEC/RADIOWAVE products answered here!

rudder requirements

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:15 AM
zx32tt
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rudder requirements

Will I need 2 5955's on the rudder of my 35% Panzl pak? I'll be doing IMAC only. Also, what length servo arm will I need?
thanks,
Chuck

Old 07-01-2008, 10:29 AM
al

Default RE: rudder requirements

Chuck, are you going to do pull-pull or have the rudder servos in the tail? If you do pull-pull I would use two 5955's and if you have them in the tail you can run two servos of about 200in/oz. It never hurts to have overkill, this way if you move up to a 40% down the road you have good strong servos that will work in that.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM
zx32tt

Yes, I do plan to use a pull-pull setup. Sounds like I may need a SWB or similar belcrank set to accomplish this. Will a 4"belcrank be large enough, or do I need to go 4.5"
Old 07-01-2008, 05:14 PM
jtec radiowave kid

we have not used the swb setup on the panzl so I am not exactly sure but I would say the 4" should be fine and you probably want the offset one to get the correct geometry.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:31 PM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

You NEED 4.5". This sounds odd, but it is because of the thickness of the tail section.

With a 4" bellcrank and a 4" spread at the control horn on the rudder, the control horn will hit the fuse at large deflections.

The 4.5" bellcrank and the resultant 4.5" spread at the tail prevents this.

I used SWB 4.5" offset self-adjusting setup with cables crossed, 2 x 5955s for power, and it works like a champ... plenty of rudder power. Of course, I haven't had time to fly it for 6 months now. Work and this damned heli habit are gettnig in the way.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

You NEED 4.5". This sounds odd, but it is because of the thickness of the tail section.

With a 4" bellcrank and a 4" spread at the control horn on the rudder, the control horn will hit the fuse at large deflections
Yes thats what I had to do.
I only used one 5955 on pull pull
Old 07-05-2008, 08:41 AM
zx32tt

Panzlflyer, do you have enough rudder power with 1 5955 ? I'd like to go that way if possible.
many thanks to all that have responded.
Chuck
Old 07-07-2008, 10:58 AM
Panzlflyer

Me and everyone thats flown it say yes. Dont know about doing knife edge loops all day but it will Hover and knife edge from one end of the sky to the other.
I fed mine with a lithium setup on 6v and later A123s no regs (the best).
A little while ago I was talking to a buddy of mine who has a SD 35% yak but loved flying the Panzl about adding a 5955 as I had a spare and he asked me if I was crazy.
Btw I have one of those 2 and the only thing the SD does better is Hover, Panzl outflies it in all other aspects.
I guess you could go with one 8711 as well.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:44 AM
zx32tt

Panzlflyer, that good to know. I prefer the 5955's mostly for the titanium gears. I may spring for a 7955 for the rudder. On other items: what hinges did you use? (I need more big Kletts), what rudder hardware did you use (horns)?, where to get a nice instrument panel?
Old 07-07-2008, 09:41 PM
Panzlflyer

I got the rudder stuff from SWB, although he and I argued as to what size.
It involved a bit of work installing but is a nice double truss setup.
I think I went with 4.5 as otherwise it hit the fuse,he wanted to sell a 4" in.
If it was offset towards the rear using a single threaded rod design that would have worked just fine, just get the offset right on the servo arm and with the horns.
The SD uses a single threaded rod and its fine even tho the rudder is too big.
At the time Al had plenty of Kletts, I see that both SD and Quique use something similar, you may ask them if they will sell some...otherwise theres only the Dubros and you could either use a continuous hinge (especially for the rudder) or make small hinges out of piano wire and not use the cotter pins supplied.
I installed mine with Probond yellow glue as per Al, just make sure you wash them and sand lightly, been in at least 1 1/2 years just fine, and it gives you work time as theres a lot of hinges!!!
Instrument panel I made from a jpeg I downloaded somewhere on here, used photo paper.
7955 seems to have a bit more torque than the 5955 so worth a look at.