Notices
JTEC / RADIOWAVE Support Get all your questions regarding JTEC/RADIOWAVE products answered here!

35% J-tech Extra Build

Old 01-24-2009, 12:58 PM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35% J-tech Extra Build

Just received my Jtech Extra Yesterday. I removed the parts from the box and threw them together quickly to get a feel for the build and size of the plane. The plane is built very well along with a very nice covering job. I agree with others who have said it is built more like a carden than the typical arf with hopefully less weight. This will be my first 35% plane and presents quite a bit larger than the 33% planes I have been flying. I plan to start a build thread on this in March. I first have to get done with a 30% EF Yak. At first I wasn't too thrilled about the covering scheme, but it has grown on me, and I actually like it now, especially in person. I fly mostly 3D, and if this plane flys as good as it looks, it will be a winner. I plan to use a DL 100, 8611as for all control surfaces except for an 8711 on the rudder. Will use the JR matchboxes for the ailerons with two servos per wing. I will probably go with the Lithium Ion Nanophosphate a123 batteries, since the reviews seem very positive. I am a di-hard NiCad fan, but the a123 seems promising in terms of weight, durability, safety, flight time and ease of charging. I will be deciding on what hardware to use over the next couple weeks.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36104.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	1118160   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr55550.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1118161  
Old 02-03-2009, 10:01 AM
al

Default RE: 35% J-tech Extra Build

Greg,

Let us know if you have any questions or there is anything we can help you with.

Al
Old 02-04-2009, 02:27 PM
Columbo
My Feedback: (9)

Thanks, Al

I will probably do the build on the flying Giants site. I look to start on this in a couple weeks.

Greg
Old 03-04-2009, 05:37 PM
cmoulder

Al, I am thinking of getting one of these but am concerned about the foam core wings. Have you folks had any problems with them? Is the durability good, and can they handle vigorous aerobatics such as hard snaps (not necessarily stupid hard stuff like full throttle snaps)?

Also, my vehicle is a Subaru Outback and I would need to remove the rudder for transport. Is it possible to modify the rudder easily to make it removeable?

Can one servo per wing be used, such as Hitec 7955?
Old 03-04-2009, 11:02 PM
dbcaster

Foam core wings are just as strong or stronger than build up wings so you don't need to worry about problems with them. This plane can handle anything you can throw at it. Here is a pic of mine after my re-covering job.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55944.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	1150586  
Old 03-05-2009, 05:15 AM
cmoulder

Thanks for the assurance!
Old 03-05-2009, 10:25 AM
al

Bob,

Solid foam wings can take lots of abuse. Most foam wings use additional spars. some glass plus your leading and trailing edges add strength. There usually is very little weight difference in construction betwee ribbed and solid foam. Rib wings need additional support such as sheer webs and heavier spars. If done right both builds are extremely good.

As for the rudder you could modify it to use a pin goinf from the top of the rudder throught the hinges. The pain would be disconnecting the controls.

Al
JTEC/RADIOWAVE
Old 03-05-2009, 11:28 AM
cmoulder

Thanks, Al. Sounds good.

I fly at Black Dirt and need something decent for when I fly with Tony B and Jerry G, the IMACamaniacs.
Old 03-05-2009, 12:32 PM
al

Bob,

Do we know each other? Jerry G once said my planes make him look good!! LOL Say hi to all the guys next time you see them. I didn't see many of them at the wrams show.

Al
Old 03-05-2009, 12:41 PM
cmoulder

Surely our paths have crossed, but last season I got out to the field on weekdays more often than on weekends. I have a dark blue Subaru and usually fly a 50cc AW Yak.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:44 AM
al

Bob,

We moved down here almost 5 years ago ( had enoughh of the cold) but we did most of our flying at Black dirt. I still am in touch with a fair amount of the guys up there.

Al