Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > KingTech Turbines International
Reload this Page >

Need help with first turbine k100

Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

Need help with first turbine k100

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2014, 02:13 PM
tony67
My Feedback: (51)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with first turbine k100

This is my first jet. Bought it off a fellow plane is a Shulman Turbinator. Turbine is a 100G with 120 min run time.
My first flight went well for the first 4 min then getting comfortable with the plane I decided to clime high and turn her over and got a flame out turbine stopped. managed to get the plane on the ground with a couple of days of repairs to the airframe.
Guys at the club told me it was probably an air bubble so redid some of the plumbing ran her on the ground and seemed to run fine.
Second flight the plane was airborne, two min into the flight engine quits this time NOT were I would of preferred did not make it back and major damage to the air frame.
Today I ran the engine out back first time it spooled up to full power with no problem .With the help of my buddy I picked up the plane and rolled it on its side at half throttle and bang she quite running. I then let the turbine cool down and started up again starts up fine but when pushed to full throttle engine just quits. Did this three times and three times the engine will not go to full throttle. Gas pump seems to be good took the one from my 80F to compare.

It seems to be something in side the turbine could it be the valve ?
I guess best is to pull out and sent it to King Tech and let them have a look at it.
Not an encouraging start to this side of the hobby but I don't give up so easy
Old 08-11-2014, 04:56 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like a possible problem with your fuel system. Was there white smoke trail on either occasion of the flame-outs?

Fill it back up (full) and repeat your test. If it only happens after the fuel level has dropped, look at your line/clunk inside the tank. Are you using a UAT or some other "hopper" system?
Old 08-11-2014, 06:27 AM
bcovish
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with George on this one. Check the clunk line.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:39 AM
flejter1

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Tony67,

I agree with both George & Bob. The turbine doesn't care what orientation it is in once it's running. How long does it take for the turbine to shut off after you turn it over? For now, I would save the shipping charges and the $50.00 inspection fee and take a real hard look through your fuel system set up or possibly a connection issue. Maybe you can leave the canopy off when you invert the plane running and have another set of eyes watching the fuel lines & wires. Don't get me wrong, if you feel your set up is perfect than by all means send me the turbine and components for me to test.

Regards,

Dirk

KingTech Service
Old 08-11-2014, 04:07 PM
tony67

Well I think I found the problem. The gas filter was installed just before the turbine flat under the plane and hard to see even when I picked up the plane while the turbine was running.
So I tried one last thing before sending it in for service. The filter was clean as a whistle but decided to remove it and dam the turbine spooled up to full throttle and ran perfect.I then reinstalled the filter and the engine failed again as it reached 100 000 rpm it is the blue filter that comes with the engine. Does it really make that much of a difference where it needs to be installed I read it should be between the pump and the shut off valve, or is it just taking in air.
Thanks to all I really appreciate all the help.
Tony
Old 08-11-2014, 04:21 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

it could be taking air in. But also sometimes the filter collects tiny airbubbles in it and then every now and then will let one big airbubble go through. With no filter you just get the little tiny bubbles with no big bubble so it runs better but you need to fix the fuel system problem.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:51 PM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am not sure where exactly your filter is installed but it does make a difference. The filter is designed to be pressurized, rather then being anywhere up stream of the pump; otherwise once there's negative pressure, O ring collapses and air gets in to the system. Of course, there maybe a faulty filter or adjacent connection maybe in question, let us know.

Regards,
Barry
Old 09-10-2014, 08:11 PM
tony67

Well anoher flight and another flame out this time on take off just after first bank was lucky to get it back with little repairs to airframe.
That is now four flights and three flame outs yet it always spooled up to full throttle on the ground.

Now It will not run to full throttle cuts at about 100000 rpms. No leeks no air bubbles I have swapped out an other pump from a K80f have changed gas filter and still no difference. Can not get an error reading on GSU. This engine is running on Diesel has 220 min. run time and about 10 with me. I am out of ideas I think it is time to remove it and send in for service any thoughts? I can't count the hours I spent repairing this jet.
Tony

Last edited by tony67; 09-11-2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:53 AM
RemoteJets

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Hye Tony,

maybe you can send some photo`s of your fuel system set up?

Grt,
Berto.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:43 AM
GhostRider 1

tony,

can you duplicate the flame out on the ground? What is the PW @ when it flames out and what is the temp reading? I had a buddy that had a big piece of glue looking stuff, stuck inside the aluminum fuel tube inside the UAT between the filter and the line connection to the pump. He was having the same issue you are until he replaced the UAT and took it apart to inspect it.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:40 PM
tony67

Yes it will not run over 100 000 rpm at this point and can not get any error on GSU. I unplugged the fuel line at the turbine and get a good stream of fuel coming out. Is it possible the valve in the turbine is malfunctioning. I tested them with the GSU and it makes sort of less of a clicking sound than the other. The pump is set at 720.
How about installing a temporary tank full of fuel and run it to pump then direct to engine.Would bypass all plumbing
GhostRider1 what is PW ?
Old 09-13-2014, 07:35 PM
GhostRider 1

Tony,

plug in your GSU while it is running. Run it up to full throttle, look in the lower right hand corner and it says PW ###. My K100 at idle has a PW of 104 and at full throttle it is at 408. I have a feeling yours might be higher or might even say pump limit reached. If that's the case you probably have a restriction in your fuel system somewhere. Let us know what you find.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:03 AM
Ozmodeller

Just a suggestion as your turbine is replicating some of the issues that I had with a 140, it pains me a little to admit to this but I put it down to being a noob to turbines (but knowing everything about all things modeling) and not reading the instructions properly, you know those things that manufacturers spend countless hours on to ensure that people like me are successful. Like you, I was perplexed until I happened to examine my fueling setup with another guys and noted that the diameter of the tubing from the UAT to the pump on his seemed a bit larger than mine, you guessed it, I had used 4mm tubing instead of 6mm tubing as the instructions had clearly shown, in my defence I had read that all tubing should be 4mm unless noted, for some reason I had skipped over that titbit and just used 4mm everywhere; I replaced it with the correct size and instantly my 140 performed as it should.

Anyway, this may or may not be the issue with yours so just putting it out there for what its worth.

Regards
Peter
Old 09-14-2014, 12:54 PM
RemoteJets

Don`t think that will be the problem, I use 4mm and the turbine, a K100G, runs perfectly with it.

Grt,
Berto.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:58 PM
tony67

Well a bit of positive results I hope. I finally was ready to throw my hands up in the air and Installed a K80F that I got this spring, intalled it last night keeping gas tank, pump,filter, shut off valve and plumbing. Just had to add another line to the turbine being an F model. Well it ran just fine for my first run on it. So I was convinced it was ether the ECU or at the turbine maybe a valve.I brought the engine from the garage to the workshop and as I was bagging it to be shipped in for service I looked at the intake fitting and woundered if it was maybe loose, did not quite turn by hand but when I got a key to it, it easily screwed in and out effortlessly.Now I thought maybe at full throttle under pressure it is taking in air.
I just had to try yes I pulled out the K80 and reinstalled the K100 back in with the intake fitting nice and tight.
Started the turbine and spooled it up 60 000 then 80 000, 100 000 120 000 and the magic number 140 000 rpm. Ran it twice and she went to full throttle both times. I hope the weather holds up so I can get her up in the air in the next couple of days. I will let you all know the results. Thanks for all your input Guys greatly apreciated.
Tony
Old 09-14-2014, 01:19 PM
RemoteJets

Hye Tony,

sounds like you have discovered the fault, can be that the fitting was sucking air.
Have some good flights with it and keep us posted.

Grt,
Berto.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:36 PM
GhostRider 1

Tony,

trouble shooting at it's finest...sometimes you just have to walk away and come back with a different perspective. Congrats and hope all is well with the next flight!!

Ghostrider 1 out!!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:12 PM
RCJetBazz

I was ready to advise you to get your money back from the previous owner..., congrats though, that sounds like the culprit.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:26 PM
Dblex
My Feedback: (81)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does that need to have loctite???

not familiar with the k100
Old 09-17-2014, 06:23 PM
tony67

Well good news very good news. I flew the Turbinator today, three fantastic flights with perfect landings. Turbine ran flawless. I am hooked. So it was the inlet gas fitting that was not screwed in tight. You know in the first stages of trouble shooting I remember checking if it was nice and tight but only using my fingers, seemed ok and never looked back untill I put a key to it and it seemed to move too easily like I mentioned obove. So one more location to look into when troubleshooting.
I must say a BIG THANK YOU for all the support you guys are great.
Tony