Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K-180G switchover issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Westwindpilot86

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default K-180G switchover issue

Hey guys, before I call Kingtech I wanted to share my issue on here. I know that Kingtech will take care of me if it goes that far but wanted to share on here first to see what you guys think.

Before anyone asks me about my engine startup and run settings I am at work and can get those later today. But what I can tell you is that
I am running Jet-A with 5% BP2380 oil. My elevation is about 4500 msl. Outside temps were about 35 degrees F. 40% humidity.

What is happening is that when I bring trim up followed by full throttle and then idle it starts the startup sequence. Burner on, starter on, and preheat are good. When it hits switchover its still ok. When it transitions to Fuel ramp there is a very weird sound coming from the front of the turbine. It then shuts down very fast and smokes from the front of the turbine. I know the smoke is excess fuel from it starting the fuel ramp. I have a few guys at the field who fly kingtechs that have not had this problem. Everyone believes the starter motor is not disengaging from the turbine during this transition period. The starter motor starts slowing down and brings the turbine with it.

I dont know if this is something I can fix or if I need to send it to Kingtech. I have no problem sending it to Kingtech just wanted to get everyones opinion first. Thanks everyone for listening.

Also, I have about 650 minutes on the turbine. Just in case anyone needed to know that.

Steven

Last edited by Westwindpilot86; 11-23-2015 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Added a detail
Old 11-24-2015, 05:10 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Hello Steven if you haven't already done so give Barry or dirk a call
Old 11-27-2015, 06:35 AM
aquaskiman
My Feedback: (46)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Westwindpilot86
Hey guys, before I call Kingtech I wanted to share my issue on here. I know that Kingtech will take care of me if it goes that far but wanted to share on here first to see what you guys think.

Before anyone asks me about my engine startup and run settings I am at work and can get those later today. But what I can tell you is that
I am running Jet-A with 5% BP2380 oil. My elevation is about 4500 msl. Outside temps were about 35 degrees F. 40% humidity.

What is happening is that when I bring trim up followed by full throttle and then idle it starts the startup sequence. Burner on, starter on, and preheat are good. When it hits switchover its still ok. When it transitions to Fuel ramp there is a very weird sound coming from the front of the turbine. It then shuts down very fast and smokes from the front of the turbine. I know the smoke is excess fuel from it starting the fuel ramp. I have a few guys at the field who fly kingtechs that have not had this problem. Everyone believes the starter motor is not disengaging from the turbine during this transition period. The starter motor starts slowing down and brings the turbine with it.

I dont know if this is something I can fix or if I need to send it to Kingtech. I have no problem sending it to Kingtech just wanted to get everyones opinion first. Thanks everyone for listening.

Also, I have about 650 minutes on the turbine. Just in case anyone needed to know that.

Steven
Just had the same trouble with a friends K100 the main fuel valve is not opening. see if you can hear a click when testing the fuel valve.