Community
Search
Notices
KingTech Turbines International Barry is your host and will help you with all your Kingtech questions and concerns.

K-235g4+

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 09:37 PM
Airforce7
My Feedback: (31)

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Default K-235g4+ Startup Flooding

Could use some help regarding flooding with my K-235G4+ during startup. It’s very bad, it literally floods the lower half of the turbine and runs out the back nozzle cone. It even spits the diesel fuel as the RPMs increase too.

I’m looking for guidance on what settings I should change as the weather has been cold, it was about 50-55 degrees F outside today. After reading the manual it talks about changing some parameters under the start menu (duty cycle %, start power ignition, etc., but it doesn’t seem to help. This engine ran fine around last summer and this is the second time trying to run it in cold weather.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Airforce7; 01-16-2024 at 05:21 AM. Reason: Title update
Old 01-17-2024, 08:02 PM
sewbusy

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

That’s a LOT of fuel to be inside the turbine. I also have a 235 G4+ and have never experienced that. I just went out flying in GA on Sunday and it was 54 degrees, without any adjustments needed on my turbine. So something is amiss. I really wouldn’t suggest changing parameters, other than checking page 41 and following the instructions for “Pump Limit” which is the last paragraph in that section. My 235 is now 3 years old and running perfectly. I think KingTech is on vacation and should be returning shortly if not already?
Wayne
Old 01-18-2024, 07:56 AM
Airforce7

Hey Wayne, thanks for the reply. It does seem weird that I get so much fuel on start up. Never experienced this with any engine before. I think it builds up fuel over the course of 2-3 start up attempts.

I ran this new engine back in July 2023 and flew my jet three times without any issues. A few months ago, when I tried to fly it again, I had an issue with the pump sucking in air. It turned out the pump went bad for some reason and dripped fuel all over my electrical components mounting tray. Got a replacement and this month I ran the engine in my garage to make sure it all checked out before bringing it to the field. Again, I had a hard time starting it up, but I got it to run on the third attempt. That's when I noticed some fluid all over the floor of my garage. Wasn't sure where it was coming from at the time.

Fast forward to this past weekend, I tried to start up the engine again and not luck. With the jet unassembled I had a clear view of the back of the engine and that's when I saw all the fuel inside the engine. At one point after several attempts, I managed to start it and witnessed a spectacular wet start. Had I had the aft half of the fuselage on I would have had to use my fire extinguisher to put it out.

KingTech got back to me and provided some contacts to talk to about my issue. I'll call today and see what they say, and I'll report back here on the outcome.
Old 01-19-2024, 07:13 AM
sewbusy

Received 59 Likes on 36 Posts

Glad to hear that there is contact with KingTech. Let us know what the solution is, when you find out. I’m pretty sure it will be sorted out!
Wayne
Old 02-14-2024, 07:11 AM
Airforce7

After a few weeks of testing and changing some settings via the GSU Start menu with support from KT and PRCJ, the engine continues to have issues during startup.

At one point I suspected my fuel may have too much oil, so I purged all the fuel out of my fuel jug and from the jet. Refilled with known good fuel and still had wet starts. The engine always timed out on the first start up. And on second attempt it would usually start but would dump a fair amount of fuel out the back of the exhaust cone and onto the floor.

I finally decided to send the turbine in for service as there may be a stuck solenoid value or an issue with the temperature sensor. We'll see want happens after they get a hold of it and check it out.

Wet Start