Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Epoxy resin is crystalized

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Epoxy resin is crystalized

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:55 PM
SDM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy resin is crystalized

I have a new bottle of 6 min epoxy resin that has not been used or opened and it has gelled or crystalized and kinda solidified in the bottle. I have used the method of putting the bottle in a pot of boiling water to get it to reconstitute itself back to a normal flow but was wondering if anyone has had any problems doing this. I have to admit that it sat on my bench for a few years as I have not been doing alot of building lately but I have been told that it will be ok. Any ideas or experience would be appreciated because I don't want to have any structural failures.
Thanks
Sam
Old 09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Epoxy resin is crystalized

This is the second time in about two months this topic has come up. I had posted it had never happened to me then when I started to mix some epoxy it was starting to gell. It wasn't too bad, just wouldn't come out of the bottle. I took my heat gun to it. I kept doing that and managed to use it all up on my build. It was a couple years old and it does sit in the direct sun for a while each day so maybe my bad? Anyway, there hasn't been any problems with the finished work getting brittle or falling apart, it worked just fine. I tried to buy more but all three hobby shops in my area only had five minute? I like working with the thirty minute epoxy but it's just a choice thing. You should be safe!
Old 09-16-2010, 08:49 PM
AH1G

After spending the $$ for your kit/ARF, radio and servos and time... Do you really want to take any chance of your plane coming apart because of $12.00 you didn't spend on new epoxy?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:52 PM
SeamusG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My LHS owner (long time builder) simply says "it happens" - toss it and buy some new epoxy. Like AH1G said - ain't worth the gamble.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also microwave it VERY briefly . . . but why risk it?

(But I have used the hot water method several times with no problems. If it has kicked it won't liquify. If it liquifies you're OK.)
Old 09-16-2010, 09:56 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have used the hot water method, never had a problem
Old 09-16-2010, 10:19 PM
SDM
My Feedback: (9)

Seems a shame to toss a new jug of epoxy but I too was thinking about the possible long term issues. I have been building for along time and haven't had many issues with joints coming loose but I have only run into this one other time and it was an older batch. It has come back to liquid form with the boiling water method so I will probably use it in some less critical areas and get some new stuff for the critical areas. I thought it could have been from being cold because my shop can get chilly in winter months but aparrantly that may not be the case??
Thanks for the input..
Sam
Old 09-16-2010, 10:31 PM
WMB
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: FLYBOY

I have used the hot water method, never had a problem
+1
Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 AM
chemie

Epoxy has a 2 year shelf life from the manufacture who makes the LER. I am very disappointed with TH Epoxy as it always gells up after about 6 months...I assume it is sitting in a hot warehouse in NV or something.

Anyway, do not use it as it has significantly self-reacted .

(note the heating may only help when there has been some cystalization but this is different from gelling and high viscoisty build).
Old 09-17-2010, 06:10 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Bob
Old 09-17-2010, 03:02 PM
WhiteRook
My Feedback: (38)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive had the same problem . epoxy is heat sensitive. in the winter it will flow thicker and under high heat and humidity
in the summer it will flow like syrup