Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Corsair Control Horn Question

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Corsair Control Horn Question

Old 09-29-2010, 05:43 PM
RickShane
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corsair Control Horn Question

Hi all,
I'm building the Top Flight Gold Edition Corsair 60. It says in the plans to cut a 1/8 peice of ply andnotch out a spot inthe alierons & flaps andfor the plywoodto mountflush with the wood. Then screw in the controll horns with #2 sheet metal screws. Ihave never used this method, I've always used the horns with the screws that go all the way through and use the plastic backing to screw them into. Idon't feel 100% having only screws holding the control horns on. Let me know what you think. Has anyone used this method?
Thanks!
Old 09-29-2010, 05:57 PM
Edwin
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Corsair Control Horn Question

I've done it, but I dont like it. Depends of the planes size. If I remember correctly I did do it that way on my TF corsair. Didnt have any failures but then again, the plane only lasted about a year. In the future, when I want a clean setup, I'm going to use a T nut imbeded into some ply in the control surface and use short screws.
Edwin
Old 09-30-2010, 10:32 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was very leary of it at first too, but now I use it all the time and I've never had a failure.

They tell you to screw the horn in place, then remove it and harden the holes with thin CA, then replace the horn and screws. I don't wait for the CA to fully cure. I drive the screws in with a small cordless drill so the glue won't set when the screw is half-way in and they will never come out
Old 09-30-2010, 11:03 AM
GaryHarris

This is so weird. I am at exactly the same point with my BUSA Eindecker 90 and was thinking the same thing. It's the same set up.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:23 AM
frenchie79

I built the 60 size Corsair a year ago and felt the same, but as MnnFlyer said, imbed the ply, harden the holes and use Sullivan Steel control horns (they have 4 screw holes per horn) they will not pull out on this size plane-not enough servo torque or stress to pull 4 screws. You will be fine.
I have a YS110s in mine and really put it through the speed runs and HIGH G turns-I feel totally safe with the setup.

Larger gas models????????? may not use this method.

Mark
Old 09-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Pitts532M
My Feedback: (1)

Mark;

What was the weight of your Corsair? Did you have flaps and retracts?

Thanks,
Mike

ORIGINAL: frenchie79

I built the 60 size Corsair a year ago and felt the same, but as MnnFlyer said, imbed the ply, harden the holes and use Sullivan Steel control horns (they have 4 screw holes per horn) they will not pull out on this size plane-not enough servo torque or stress to pull 4 screws. You will be fine.
I have a YS110s in mine and really put it through the speed runs and HIGH G turns-I feel totally safe with the setup.

Larger gas models????????? may not use this method.

Mark
Old 09-30-2010, 03:29 PM
frenchie79

Yes and Yes. It was a full fiberglass job and detailed. You can see a picture of it in my model lineup. I think it weighed 10+ lbs, don't have my records right now (in my office at work).