Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Extra 300s .60 KIT

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Great Planes Extra 300s .60 KIT

Old 10-19-2010, 09:15 PM
fallingleaf
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Extra 300s .60 KIT

Hey guys,

Doing the repairs on the Ultimate Bipe I have, I'm starting to get itchy fingers again and contemplating (though I know I should behave on the $) another build. I've always liked the look of extras - given 3D flying to me is too risky, and requires some fancy ARF with a hefty price tag, Im looking at this one, which also is a comfortable size for me.

Whats the consensus on this plane and performance? I am thinking (to appease the other half) it will have to replace my ultrasport 60 as I can't justify having more than two planes.

LUckily my uncle is willing to pawn off a new OS Surpass 120III to me for cheaps (non-pumped) so its a good way to get into the fourstroke thing - I figure thats a good match for this bird.

I have read the other threads on this but keen to get a fresh take on it. I like the ultrasport but want something more snappy and convienent than the ultimate bipe.

Naturally i'd go to town on it - CF landing gear and after market cowl/pants + some tail feather mods and a tops covering scheme I have a bunch of standard Futaba s3003 servos - are they too weak for this plane - even with a 6v setup? (obviously im doing some costing here). May have to go up a rung in their line to the metal geared ones perhaps? I used Hitec645MG's on the ultimate bipe but personally think they are total overkill - granted that plane has a 120ax on it though.

Cheers! Mark
Old 10-20-2010, 10:22 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Extra 300s .60 KIT

The Great Planes kits are all good builds and good flying planes. Raising the voltage up to 6 volts is a good idea, but I am thinking that you may want to consider a servo upgrade. Good Luck, Dave
Old 10-23-2010, 07:08 AM
chemie

I used S-3004 all around with 6V and no issues with the exception of the rudder. For that, you might go S-3010 for something with 80-100 oz torque. I did use two 3004 on each elevator half. Also, mounted them in tail and with a S-90 engine, it was still nose heavy so you might consider the same there with a 120 size four stroke.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:09 AM
LargeScale88

I may have done a little bit of overkill, but I'm using a dual elevator setup, and each elevator servo is a JR S821, which are 72 oz in torque at 4.9, which is what I'm running, pull pull rudder with an older JR 4721, which is 120 oz in torque, micro on the throttle, and dual aileron servos, both JR S821 servos. I'm using a 4.8v 2300Mah battery. Thats my only 4.8 pack I have, all my other planes have 6v, which I'll be switching to shortly.
Old 10-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Andrewmc

I am not able to compare with an Ultrasport (ask Minnflyer for that one), but the GP 300S is a really fun plane. I used mostly standard servos throughout although I did install rear mounted split elevator servo's to help balance only not for torque purposes, and a high torque JR servo on a pull pull rudder.

Saito 125 provides the power, but many people have used the OS 120 with good results.

Do some sweet talking and persuade your wide to let you keep the ultrasport as well

Old 04-25-2020, 07:05 AM
Gabriel.Vvi

Hey guys :

This kit has been discontinued for a long time, but I would like to build one.
The only thing i'm looking for are the die-cut patterns plans. Does anyone have it or knows where I can find it ? I would be very happy to find it.

Thanks from france
Old 04-27-2020, 02:54 PM
picard1
My Feedback: (2)

I may still have a kit not built. Will check when I get home this weekend for you
Old 04-28-2020, 12:50 AM
Gabriel.Vvi

Originally Posted by picard1
I may still have a kit not built. Will check when I get home this weekend for you
Wow, keep me posted !
Old 05-15-2020, 01:07 PM
Gabriel.Vvi

Hello,
Can you please check if you have a kit not built ?
Thanks